Match Charter Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Tutor intern"

Former Employee - Tutor in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Tutor in Boston, MA

I worked at Match Charter part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great support from administrative staff

Cons

The hours can be long

"Tutor, Teaching Assistant, Administrative Assistant"

Former Employee - Match Corps Tutor in Boston, MA

I worked at Match Charter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very good, passionate, smart people. Students are fun, engaging, bright. Teachers are hardworking, caring, knowledgeable.

Cons

The overall mission is a bit problematic, in the context of education and quality of life. Administration is good, but oftentimes policies and the practice of good teaching clash.

Advice to Management

Trust your teachers more. Dialogue more across parties. Include the voices of students and parents more.

"I knew what I was getting myself into, and still it was a surprise."

Current Employee - Match Corps Tutor in Boston, MA

I have been working at Match Charter full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The staff that Match Community Day provides for their Corp members. The weekly feedback meetings that we receive. The administrative team who is always there to help us. The experience that we get from Match and the practice we use. It definitely opens a lot of doors for us for other jobs after.

Cons

The low pay. The heavy hours. The fact that there seems to be a huge disconnect between the Corp members and teachers/staff.

Advice to Management

I think there could definitely be more interaction between the Corp members and the teachers/staff. A lot of times, I feel we aren't in the same page even if we really want to be.

4. "The MATCH Corps is an incredibly tough year, but gives you an incredible support network"

I worked at Match Charter full-time

Pros

Hands on work with peers, incredible coworkers

Cons

A ridiculous work load, low pay

"MATCH Corps- stressful"

Current Employee - Match Corps Tutor in Boston, MA

I have been working at Match Charter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Spending time with the students and actually seeing gains
    Strong student achievement focus
    Good resume builder- if you want to teach
    Corps is generally supportive of one another and very passionate

Cons

60-70 hour work weeks
    terrible work/life balance
    poor support structure from administration
    micromanagement
    weird power dynamic b/w Corps and teachers even though we are around the same age
    did not have adequate work space for corps
    tutorial is too structured and not always focused on what is best for your particular student- you don't have a lot of flexibility in changing content

Advice to Management

The management at MATCH claims to focus a lot on feedback, but I never felt like my feedback was taken into account. The Corps needs to be treated as individuals whose time is valuable and who can be trusted 100% of the time. There were multiple points in the year where I felt I was being treated either like a student or hired labor.

"Being a MATCH Corps member is grueling and rewarding."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

At MATCH, you truly have the opportunity to make a difference with youth in Boston. Other MATCH Corps members are very dedicated, smart and fun.

Cons

The hours are crazy, between 60 and 70 hours per week. The pay is very low. The work can be very stressful.

Advice to Management

Leadership should try to increase the efficiency of MATCH Corps duties in order to make improve work life balance at MATCH.

7. "Match Community day is a Great Community to work at"

Current Employee - Match Corps Tutor
    Current Employee - Match Corps Tutor

I have been working at Match Charter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the most dedicated and passionate educators I have ever worked with. People work together to close the opportunity gap and set high expectations for our scholars. I learned a lot from the community of excellent teachers and loved working with the Match Corps.

Cons

Match Corps members did not get paid very well through AmeriCorps and did a bulk of the mundane day-to-day tasks.
    Match Housing a bad deal---too expensive for the space/sharing room.

8. "Tutor"

I worked at Match Charter full-time

Pros

You can build meaningful relationships with students and other tutors.

Cons

Long hours, you spend most of your time completing tasks that were not advertised. Poor management, often exploiting tutors and passing work off to them instead of having them do the tasks that they expected to do.

Advice to Management

Hire more people to do the many extra jobs that the school needs to function (food preparation, gym extra duties)

9. "Academic staff"

I worked at Match Charter full-time

Pros

Mission driven work, and the opportunity to work with really high quality people. Entrepreneurial and successful organization. Students are great.

Cons

Salaries could be higher, and benefits have high deductibles. Long hours at the job. Part of it comes from meaningful work that needs to be done, and other times it can be unnecessary. A lot of change happens frequently too.

Advice to Management

Try to do more analysis on the line between what amount of work is beneficial and when teachers should just have off (professional development, for example). More transparent salary ladders and things like that.

"Tutor Corps"

Pros

They will hire you straight out of college.

They will arrange housing and health insurance (deducted automatically from your stipend)

An award of $5,778 for grad school or student loan deferral

Great for anyone interested in Education or Social Work (some social work and urban teaching
    programs have excellent scholarships for former Americorps members)

Makes you more attractive to PeaceCorps recruiters

Makes it easier for you to get another job at a charter school

You will have some great relationships with students and staff members

Cons

You should apply for food stamps - the stipend is modest

The hours are long and inflexible. You will have some weeks in which you do Match things from 5:30 to midnight and then dream that you're still at school

If you're taking a "gap year" you need to watch your application deadlines carefully; it's easy to get so wrapped up in Match stuff that you end up taking another gap year just because you didn't get application materials in in time.

If you get Match housing, you will probably need to share your room.

Although the automatic rent deductions from your stipend lessen your stress while you're working for Match, they can make paperwork for foodstamps, proof of residency, taxes, or applications to your next apartment somewhat complicated.

The stipend can pose a similar program for job applications and inquiries about previous hourly wages.

It's hard to find enough time to find a new job and apartment by the end of the year

You will have some bad relationships with some of the students and sometimes it can get a bit stuffy living and working with the same people 24/7 when it's crunch time.

The discipline system is fairly hypocritical and difficult to enforce. We went to a number of PD sessions telling us to sweat the small stuff (enforce dress code / no homework in tutorial) only to find that the L team either changed the policy without telling us or ignored later in the year. It felt like we were sporadically overly strict about some things and not so strict about others

There is a lot of tension between lenient and strict staff members

General lack of clarity from the L team: Many of us were hired thinking we would be tutoring English only to find on the second day of training that there weren't going to be English tutorials anymore and we'd all be tutoring math.

Lack of support and follow through with behavior management. I can't tell you the number of times I'd send a student out - the student would refuse to leave - and no one would show up to remove the student from the room

Very high turnover
    Good but green teachers (in their first year of teaching)

Few consequences for the negative (sometimes threatening) behavior from students

Advice to Management

1. Optional PD sessions:
    how to apply for Foodstamps while working at Match.
    How to make sense of your stipend/housing situation for taxes or job applications
    How to break up a fight or handle threats from students

2. Clarify your policy on doing HW in tutorial and be consistent with it

3. Clarify your policy on asking for help from a TA in another tutorial group during tutorial from the beginning

3. Don't expect us to prepare packets on time when we don't get them until minutes before class without any notes

4. Not every student needs tutorial - make a system through which students can apply to change it to a study hall (Students won't work if they don't feel like they have agency)

5. Hire more deans and counselors

6. Hire substitute teachers or provide extra compensation for TA's that need to take over when teacher's take prolonged absences

7. Eliminate the rule that says that assignments that don't get turned in get a 40/100. This is making bad habits that hurt students in the long run.

8. End of quarter exams should be a cumulative test based on material covered over the quarter - not a random standardized test.

9. Get textbooks for the BU classes before the semester starts

10. Make the BU class a college credit course and make sure the TA has some background in the subject