KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Material Innovation Initiative Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2022

Found 9 of over 9 reviews

5.0

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

1. 5.0

Great Learning Experience

Jul 8, 2022 - Summer Intern
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Interesting projects in your desired field - Flexible work hours - Guest lectures who share their insight about the industry

Cons

- Not a lot of networking opportunities

2. 5.0
    Current Temporary Employee, less than 1 year

Game Changer in the Field

Aug 14, 2021 - Member of Board of Directors in Carlisle, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

MII combines the ability to be a leader in this incredibly critical need for non-animal based materials, with the opportunity to be a part of a team that truly embraces the importance of an inclusive workplace. The mission drew me in, the people were the reason I quickly committed to being a member of the Board. As someone who has very little time left in the day with my fulltime job, I could not volunteer my time fast enough to this great organization. That speaks volumes.

Cons

I honestly cannot think of anything that gives me pause.

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Simply the best job I've ever had in 25 years!

Jul 1, 2021 - Chief Development Officer in Asheville, NC
    Business Outlook

Pros

solid leadership, autonomy, teamwork, values-based mission

Cons

new, still fundraising for solid future

Continue reading
  4. 5.0
    Former Intern, less than 1 year

Fantastic learning experience!

Sep 22, 2020 - Summer Intern
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Learned about many different aspects of the fashion industry - Expanded my network - Learned about different engineering career paths - Open minded and understanding team/manager - Get credited for all work!!

Cons

- No compensation because it is a non-profit, but they know this is a con! If you do quality work, they will help you in every other way.

Continue reading
  5. 5.0
    Current Freelancer, less than 1 year

Pros

Mii understands the backend of accelerating positive change for businesses, people, and the planet. In an industry where animal-based materials proliferate in product and as a consequence negatively impact our planet they have the framework through past experience to bring together dollars, ideas, and the capital owners to elevate the solutions which might remedy these issues.

Cons

2020 and our global pandemic has been the biggest consequence to anticipated progress, however, Mii has a bright future with forward-thinking markets trending towards triple bottom line business practices.

6. 5.0

A Gem of an Organization

Sep 12, 2020 - Volunteer
    Business Outlook

Pros

During this time in our history when wildfires and pandemics are forcing us to face the effect we are having on the world, I'm in a (very lucky) position where I can volunteer my time to any organization that speaks to me. MII is my choice. Not only is the mission of creating a world that is kinder to animals while healing the planet near and dear to my heart, but MII is driving forward a really important aspect of this mission that has been lacking for far too long. Sustainability issues, animal welfare concerns, and growing consumer demand for alternatives to animal-based materials are bringing about a revolution, and MII is crucial to that revolution's success. My experience with this team puts my mind at ease, knowing the revolution is in the right hands. If you're looking to help this revolution, you won't find a more supportive and enjoyable place to do so (which makes MII a special and rare group!). The tone of the organization is absolutely set from the top down with leadership that is kind, respectful, brilliant (and wildly generous with that brilliance), and open to feedback that fosters an unparalleled environment of collaboration. It's an honor and joy to support this cohesive, highly motivated, highly qualified, and incredibly positive team.

Cons

*crickets* There's no downside to this team or its mission.

7. 5.0

MII Summer Intern

Aug 29, 2020 - Summer Intern
    Business Outlook

Pros

I absolutely loved working at MII. Anne and Nicole are great mentors, and really offer themselves to all the interns. The tasks are completed on your own time, with checkins with the larger group, offering a lot of flexibility. I also loved the "Meet the Expert" series, where industry professionals would come in and talk to us about their work and offer personalized advice for us.

Cons

Because the internship was remote and the hours were self-created, there wasn't the same work atmosphere that you would gain at other internships. However, Nicole and Anne really go out of their way to get to know each and everyone of the interns and facilitate dialogue amongst the group. The internship is also unpaid, but a very valuable learning experience.

8. 5.0

loved working for MII

Aug 26, 2020 - Intern
    Business Outlook

Pros

I absolutely loved working with Nicole and Anne and the other interns this summer — everyone is super hardworking, supportive, and extremely passionate about MII's mission. They created the space and gave me the knowledge I needed to grow, both in terms of my project as well as in terms of professional/networking skills. Nicole and Anne also really go out of their way to support the intern team and are always happy to answer questions, offer thoughtful advice, or just chat to get to know you better. They made it really easy to learn through their detailed schedules and thoughtful projects, and are quick repliers! I have never worked with more organized employers who put so much thought and care into their work — they've set the bar high for my future internships.

Cons

A very small downside to working for MII is that it operates remotely. However, this offered me greater flexibility in terms of work schedule and Nicole and Anne still fostered a sense of community through weekly coffee chats and team-wide meetings.

9. 5.0

Mission-Driven at It's Best

Aug 24, 2020 - Graphic Designer in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

MII is a forward-looking, mission-driven organization with a super smart, talented and truly kind group of people to work with. Being in on the ground floor of this young company is super exciting and packed with opportunity to do interesting work.

Cons

I can’t think of any.

Viewing 1 - 9 of 9 English Reviews