McGrath RentCorp Reviews | Glassdoor

1. Featured Review

"Director"

Current Employee - Director in Pasadena, TX
    Current Employee - Director in Pasadena, TX

I have been working at McGrath RentCorp full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people, amazing culture, financially sound, opportunity to grow for those that want more. This company is awesome! I have been very blessed to work for Mobile Modular Management Corporation. The company leadership is phenomenal and they have their employees and their customers best interest at heart.

Cons

I really can't think of one.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

Aug 21, 2018 – HR Director

Thank you for the review! You are one of the people that help us have an amazing culture.

"?"

I have been working at McGrath RentCorp full-time

Pros

Great place to work for the long-term. Good people in all locations and caring management at the corporate office.

Cons

Stable job environment that does high and promote from within but the opportunities are limited. However, a good place to stay if you like the job you have.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! Your management style and the personality of each member of s

Aug 21, 2018 – HR Director

Thank you for the feedback. We have lots of tenured employees and that does make moving up a challenge and we make it a priority to consider internal candidates.

3. "Great People."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA

I have been working at McGrath RentCorp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people. Good work/life balance. Opportunity for growth with hard work.

Cons

A lot of manual processes but newer systems are always in the pipeline.

Advice to Management

Continue working on communication with/between employees.

Aug 21, 2018 – HR Director

Thank you for your feedback. We are working to implement new processes or systems to help everyone be more efficient and effective in their roles. Keep making suggestions as you see the need!

4. "hahahahaha"

I worked at McGrath RentCorp full-time

Pros

There is an office to go to... the systems work most of the time.. they don't micro-manage

Cons

Don't believe the 50k hype for 1st year sales.. surpassed goals and nowhere near that!... 1st Reps in hold all major accounts and never release any (according to McGrath's own rules)... they hit you if a container comes back early and only pay out 1% for the containers staying out longer

Advice to Management

Why bother...they don't listen

Aug 21, 2018 – HR Director

Thank you for providing your review. Because of feedback like yours, we are working to improve our onboarding experience for new hires, so we can avoid situations like this in the future.

5. "Current Employee"

I have been working at McGrath RentCorp full-time

Pros

Good work, life balance. Growth & career advancement opportunities available.

Cons

Antiquated in some of the processes but they are working for better solutions.

Aug 21, 2018 – HR Director

Thank you for your feedback. It helps us continue to exam our processes and systems as we continue to grow.

"Being just a number VS being part of a team"

I have been working at McGrath RentCorp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working for Mobile Modular Portable Storage has a lot of pro's. Branches can feel like a close knit family atmosphere. Monday through Friday with a generous amount of paid holidays, sick days and vacation.

Cons

Our previous VP was all about what made her look good, regardless of how the employees were made to feel. I nearly quit because of her. Our new VP seems to be more positive about being a "team".
    Executive team (CEO, CFO, COO,etc) are clueless to what the employees want or feel. Spend thousands of dollars for surveys to see if we're "engaged" or what our concerns are... then does nothing with the information. Our opinions do NOT matter. Anymore, it's just "do your job and go home" mentality, don't put too much thought or care into the business or how you feel. Just be a number and be happy.
    Hiring within or advancements are RARE.

Advice to Management

Stop wasting time and money on surveys if you're not going to listen or act on the findings. If you REALLY want to know how your employees feel or what they think would help the business, then simply ask.
    Also, look within when promoting, instead of bringing in outsiders who have zero knowledge or want to know what our industry does.

Aug 21, 2018 – HR Director

Thank you for your review. We are trying to improve our employee engagement in multiple ways.

7. "I really enjoyed my time working at McGrath"

I worked at McGrath RentCorp part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone was very kind and approachable. It was always very clear what was expected of me and I could go about my work with few interruptions.

Cons

Some departments don't communicate as efficiently as I feel they could. There are small things that I think could be done to make working with other departments easier, but some problems were ignored and never addressed.

Aug 21, 2018 – HR Director

Thank you for your feedback, it is very much appreciated and valued.

"An engaging & rewarding organization"

Former Employee - Marketing Director in Livermore, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Director in Livermore, CA

I worked at McGrath RentCorp full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Supportive on work/life balance
    Encourages stretch projects & rewards initiative
    Great leadership
    Rewards longevity

Cons

Operate lean corporate teams

Advice to Management

Continue to foster your employees development as it made a world of difference for me as a leader, I had more confidence and felt supported to take risks and try new things

Aug 21, 2018 – HR Director

Thank you for responding.

9. "Great people to work with"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA

Pros

Company cares about it's employees and strives to ensure steady growth. Lots of long term employees, as well as good opportunities for growth.

Cons

Takes a lot of time to change direction, over processes decisions at times. Works too lean at times and doesn't always make head count decisions until an individual is impacted.

Advice to Management

Try not to run too lean to prevent burn out.

Aug 21, 2018 – HR Director

Thank you for the feedback! We take it to heart!

"too much drama"

Pros

Free coffee and fruit, sometimes bagels. Great CEO.

Cons

Immature group of HR, Managers (in the modular division), and those in their inner circle. They can't be trusted. People are afraid to speak up to management in fear of creating a targer on their back. Growth is based on favoritism and not on who is right for the job. Too much drama that unfortunately is sometimes created by managers. On top of it all the pay does not compensate the workload, stress, and drama that exists in that company. They are not invested in the right people.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and have their back. Grow from constructive criticism, don't retaliate and creat discomfort. Stop the favoritism. Stop investing you money and time in Next Level Results (NLR) if you are not willing to be better role modes. The system is failing the few people who believe in it. Be more professional when your employees have a confidential conversation with you.

Aug 21, 2018 – HR Director

Thank you for your feedback.