MediaCom Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 22, 2019

3.4
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work life balance for most of the planning teams are great" (in 9 reviews)

• "Plenty of opportunities for training, good working environment" (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "zero work life balance; my team would be logged on till 12am many days" (in 18 reviews)

• "Very long hours and rotating team" (in 21 reviews)

1. "Assistant media planner"

I worked at MediaCom full-time

Pros

Good people and fun work culture

Cons

Bad management and terrible work/life balance

2. "I love this company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at MediaCom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Tons of employees, various departments, cereal, and fruit is provided every morning, people are willing to teach you.

Cons

Sometimes the internet doesn't work as quickly

Advice to Management

provide more unique designated areas to each team

3. "Good place"

Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I worked at MediaCom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good environment to learn and grow

Cons

I could not find any cons

4. "Great Place - The Team is EVERYTHING - Agency is on the up and up."

Current Employee - Planner in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Planner in New York, NY

I have been working at MediaCom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Beautiful office space and a great overarching culture. If you're not enjoying it, you can be placed on a different account or at another GroupM company (in the same building) - as long as you've put your time in, which is about a year. Lots of opportunity as long as you take the initiative. Great hidden benefits... LOOK IN YOUR EMPLOYEE HANDBOOK TO FIND THEM!!!

Cons

The work/life balance can be troubling at times, but it's only bad for a few months out of the year when doing your initial year-long plans. Your enjoyment here will solely depend which account you work on, so please do your research before jumping into a position.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Let us leave early if we have nothing to do! Sometimes I find myself twiddling my thumbs for a couple of hours waiting until it's time to leave. Whether you can leave or not should depend on daily tasks, not if you put in your full 8 hours.

5. "All Work!"

Former Employee - Assistant Media Planner in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Media Planner in New York, NY

I worked at MediaCom full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- training for entry level is provided
    - located in 3 WTC makes for convenient commutes

Cons

- zero work life balance; my team would be logged on till 12am many days
    - understaffed leaving me without management adding to the strain of the position
    - management allowed for no mistakes at entry level, yet when their client facing docs had errors, no one even blinked an eye leading to very unrealistic expectations. even HR final documents were delivered with errors!
    - teams lack diversity, people are also quite insensitive. I felt offended often by comments made about lifestyle choices and differences
    -siloed team left me in "display" and unaware of social and search strategy or tactics
    - very anti-social team: come in, work, leave around 7/8 p if you're lucky
    - dismissal required for entry level. felt quite juvenile. when management was present, could not leave before they logged off
    - teams make you feel guilty for utilizing vacation days
    - sick days are frowned upon, this was the only time ever we were asked to just work from home. even on a declared sick day, I was asked to complete tasks by 6pm
    - in less than a year, I saw half a dozen people leave the team

Advice to Management

ensure there is management; train all supervisors to be better equipped to fill management roles as circumstances are unpredictable. allow for growth, set realist expectations. value your teams! increase pay, we all work too hard.

6. "Good Agency"

I worked at MediaCom full-time

Pros

Flexible teams, great people, good atmosphere, great place to learn

Cons

Long hours, sometimes short staffed

7. "Review"

Current Employee - Negotiator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Negotiator in New York, NY

I have been working at MediaCom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gifts, Lunches-Dinners with Clients, extensive holiday parties and happy hours. Free food. Excellent for a first job out of college. Experience in multiple accounts is common.

Cons

Occasional long hours, opportunity for growth is extremely limited. Incompetent managers, hard work is never noted. Work is dull and very repetitive.

Advice to Management

Pay can use an increase. Possible commission could work as well.

8. "Tech solutions"

Pros

Great people.. Family culture gteat

Cons

Sales and work weekends always

"One of The Better Agencies in NY"

I have been working at MediaCom full-time

Pros

Work life balance for most of the planning teams are great. There will be those late nights, but management has actually found that there is a balance that needs to be struck. Most people in the office are friends and the new offices are beautiful. The work is pretty fun as well. Finally, it's always fun working at a successful agency. The NY office this year has been on an absolute roll with new business. They've won some exciting and huge accounts. When that happens, it makes the work environment much better.

Cons

It sounds weird but the new office seating structure isn't my favorite, but some people love it. The office is open seating. This means that when you get in in the morning, you can sit wherever you like. Unfortunately, sometimes that means no open desks with monitors if you come in late, or you have to sit on the other side of the office away from your team. You also don't get a 'home base' to put your stuff, so you're stuck using lockers. The offices are gorgeous now, but it feels like you're working in a library since you don't have a desk.

Advice to Management

Resist the urge to change things while they're going well. We obviously want to evolve where we can in order to keep up with the times, but employee satisfaction is high.

"Sacrifice your social life for some invaluable experience"

Current Employee - Integrated Media Planner in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Integrated Media Planner in New York, NY

I have been working at MediaCom full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The structure and rigor behind all of the work makes MC one of the best agencies. With top clients and talent, the experience and knowledge you gain here is invaluable, esp. for assistant/planners starting out in the industry.

Cons

Usually just roll my eyes when people say "work life balance," but have truly never worked at a place with such low standards for it. Standard hours run until 6 PM but most people will not even attempt to pack up until 7 on a good day. If you enjoy finding out what time they shut the lights off in the building, MC is for you!

Advice to Management

Value employees instead of burning them out. Survival of the fittest isn't always the best business model.