Melmark Reviews | Glassdoor

2.1
Melmark President & CEO Joanne Gillis-Donovan
Joanne Gillis-Donovan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "1 lunches every day, though they weren't always good" (in 2 reviews)

• "great pay, teamwork, benefits, room to grow" (in 2 reviews)

1. "Review"

Pros

It provides opportunities to care for children with disabilities

Cons

Families' opinions are of higher priority than staff opinions

2. "Fulfilling but Difficult"

I have been working at Melmark full-time

Pros

Fulfilling work, changing lives, good benefits, kind co. workers, intelligent senior leadership, cheap lunch

Cons

Work on holidays, salaried employees often work extra hours, low pay (non-profit)

Advice to Management

Pay employees based on job descriptions, not based on a sliding scale.

"Not worth it"

Former Employee - ABA Counselor in Berwyn, PA

I worked at Melmark full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

$2.00 lunches-food was ok.

Cons

Supervisors don't care about staff
    Injured staff are not treated too well
    No room for advancement
    Management won't work with you if struggling in your classroom or with your supervisor
    Not 1:1 ratio in every classroom as stated it would be in interview
    Was told "its not a supervisor's job to care if a staff gets hurt because people get hurt so often"
    Not all staff communicate with other staff during escalting situations

Advice to Management

Listen to staff, hire more staff for 1:1 ratio, pay staff better

"Just Don't"

Former Employee - ABA Counselor in Berwyn, PA

I worked at Melmark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to work with Awesome Kids and Teachers and get some really good experience, but that is about it.

Cons

My mother always told me, "If you can't say anything nice then don't say anything at all".

I feel bad writing this review, and it has taken a long time to write one without too much emotion. I never felt the kids or staff were taken care of. It seems that all management wants is to short staff and hope nothing bad happens. When something bad happens, find a reason to blame the staff. They claim to have a no retaliation policy, but that is a joke. My parents prayed that I would not get hurt. I did many times. I was on light duty longer then I was in the classroom. Restraints happen daily and it is soul sucking. There was never enough staff and it did not seem like they were hiring ever. I spent a lot of time in administration while on light duty and there is a HUGE disconnect between management and the people working with the kids. Overall, Melmark needs a complete overhaul and to start from scratch. I would give 0 stars if possible.

Advice to Management

-Please listen to staff. They are not robots and have needs.
    -Don't treat the injured staff like second class citizens.
    -Put the kids first and stand behind the staff when there is an issue. The families are not always right.
    -PAY MORE! This job is hard and tiring. The kids are awesome, but the staff gets burnt out.
    -Have enough staff to be the 1:1 school as advertised.
    -PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE listen to staff and stop pushing the blame when something happens.

"Aba counselor"

Former Employee - ABA Counselor in Berwyn, PA

I worked at Melmark full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good agenda, $1 lunches, they try, nice campus, nice housing, they know how to fake it to make it, nice seasonal shows including the patients during the plays which is nice

Cons

Kids do the same goals everyday for the rest of their lives, non stimulating, some kids may never change which is sad to say, gossip will keep you from advancing, cliquish if your not in the in crowd you won’t advance but be careful they will turn on you in a heartbeat one minute your getting praised next day your fired, overworked for minimum pay, all the higher ups are Caucasian, they hire Africans to do the dirty work, kids are violent, staff members hit kids behind closed doors, they will fire you if you are a threat, get your tap shoes read to “please massa” they feed the kids unhealthy snacks all day contributing to diabetes and heart disease, kids masterbate all day

Advice to Management

Just because your white doesn’t mean your right...

"Melmark review ABA Counselor"

I worked at Melmark full-time

Pros

2.00 lunches were nice except food was bad. Free drinks all day long. Kids try their best. The professional management team is great however and so helpful.

Cons

I have worked many places and have never been treated so poorly. Before I started at Melmark I read these reviews and thought oh maybe it’s just bad workers and they left on bad terms. Well I can say that I should’ve listened. They don’t explain before you work there just how violent the kids are and what you’re actuallt doing. The kids are trying their best but they aren’t progressing because the staff are improperly trained and don’t update their goals often enough so the kids are doing the same goals everyday for months. My supervisor who was supposed to help us was never in the room and never helped out which is dangerous when you have kids acting out or going into crisis and the room is understaffed. There is to much drama between staff members as well. People fighting and hooking up on overnight shifts. The worst part is Human Resources. They don’t explain anything or help you when having a problem and if you email them five times they never get back to you but then get mad when they need something from you. It really was overall a bad experience which sucks because working with the autistic population was something I was really interested in and this job ruined it for me. I hope others in the future have better experiences and management learns from these reviews.

Advice to Management

Learn how to train people and stop having favorites. Also it is not an equal opportunity employer at all. There is also no ways to advance up.

7. "Horrible dangerous place to work"

Former Employee - Residential Counselor in Berwyn, PA
    Former Employee - Residential Counselor in Berwyn, PA

I worked at Melmark full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The kids are cool to work with

Cons

The staff are young and under trained, management don't care about staff or residents, the directors lie to parents about what goes on with the kids, they purposely trigger behaviors and put everyone in danger

Advice to Management

Close it down send those ppl to be cared for properly somewhere else

8. "Residential Aide"

Current Employee - Residential Aide in Berwyn, PA
    Current Employee - Residential Aide in Berwyn, PA

I have been working at Melmark part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The help I provide for the individuals

Cons

There's a lack of communication, no care for the staff, not enough appreciation for the staff, the individuals homes are not cared for properly, the managers don't provide proper training, favoritism, the individuals aren't provided for enough due to lack of supervision by the supervisors. No bonuses either, which could help show appreciation for staff from time to time.

Advice to Management

Management needs to do a better job at providing the proper staffing for the homes to care for the individuals. They need to be focused more on the care of the individuals and the care of the household. There needs to be better training for the new staff that comes into the homes.

9. "ABA Counselor"

I worked at Melmark full-time

Pros

$1 lunch but you get what you pay for.

Cons

Interview was misleading about the position. Dangerous environment to work in and never enough staff. Surrounded by body fluids and pathogens.

10. "ABA Counselor"

Former Employee - ABA Counselor

I worked at Melmark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cheap lunch
    Love the children
    Fun trips

Cons

Management didn't care about staff
    Staff bullied other staff
    Staff didn't care to help the kids