Melmark Reviews | Glassdoor

2.2
Melmark President & CEO Joanne Gillis-Donovan
Joanne Gillis-Donovan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Time off benefits are good as well (in 2 reviews)

• 1 lunches every day, though they weren't always good (in 2 reviews)

1. "Review"

Pros

It provides opportunities to care for children with disabilities

Cons

Families' opinions are of higher priority than staff opinions

"Just Don't"

I worked at Melmark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to work with Awesome Kids and Teachers and get some really good experience, but that is about it.

Cons

My mother always told me, "If you can't say anything nice then don't say anything at all".

I feel bad writing this review, and it has taken a long time to write one without too much emotion. I never felt the kids or staff were taken care of. It seems that all management wants is to short staff and hope nothing bad happens. When something bad happens, find a reason to blame the staff. They claim to have a no retaliation policy, but that is a joke. My parents prayed that I would not get hurt. I did many times. I was on light duty longer then I was in the classroom. Restraints happen daily and it is soul sucking. There was never enough staff and it did not seem like they were hiring ever. I spent a lot of time in administration while on light duty and there is a HUGE disconnect between management and the people working with the kids. Overall, Melmark needs a complete overhaul and to start from scratch. I would give 0 stars if possible.

Advice to Management

-Please listen to staff. They are not robots and have needs.
    -Don't treat the injured staff like second class citizens.
    -Put the kids first and stand behind the staff when there is an issue. The families are not always right.
    -PAY MORE! This job is hard and tiring. The kids are awesome, but the staff gets burnt out.
    -Have enough staff to be the 1:1 school as advertised.
    -PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE listen to staff and stop pushing the blame when something happens.

"Aba counselor"

Former Employee - ABA Counselor in Berwyn, PA

I worked at Melmark full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good agenda, $1 lunches, they try, nice campus, nice housing, they know how to fake it to make it, nice seasonal shows including the patients during the plays which is nice

Cons

Kids do the same goals everyday for the rest of their lives, non stimulating, some kids may never change which is sad to say, gossip will keep you from advancing, cliquish if your not in the in crowd you won’t advance but be careful they will turn on you in a heartbeat one minute your getting praised next day your fired, overworked for minimum pay, all the higher ups are Caucasian, they hire Africans to do the dirty work, kids are violent, staff members hit kids behind closed doors, they will fire you if you are a threat, get your tap shoes read to “please massa” they feed the kids unhealthy snacks all day contributing to diabetes and heart disease, kids masterbate all day

Advice to Management

Just because your white doesn’t mean your right...

"Melmark review ABA Counselor"

I worked at Melmark full-time

Pros

2.00 lunches were nice except food was bad. Free drinks all day long. Kids try their best. The professional management team is great however and so helpful.

Cons

I have worked many places and have never been treated so poorly. Before I started at Melmark I read these reviews and thought oh maybe it’s just bad workers and they left on bad terms. Well I can say that I should’ve listened. They don’t explain before you work there just how violent the kids are and what you’re actuallt doing. The kids are trying their best but they aren’t progressing because the staff are improperly trained and don’t update their goals often enough so the kids are doing the same goals everyday for months. My supervisor who was supposed to help us was never in the room and never helped out which is dangerous when you have kids acting out or going into crisis and the room is understaffed. There is to much drama between staff members as well. People fighting and hooking up on overnight shifts. The worst part is Human Resources. They don’t explain anything or help you when having a problem and if you email them five times they never get back to you but then get mad when they need something from you. It really was overall a bad experience which sucks because working with the autistic population was something I was really interested in and this job ruined it for me. I hope others in the future have better experiences and management learns from these reviews.

Advice to Management

Learn how to train people and stop having favorites. Also it is not an equal opportunity employer at all. There is also no ways to advance up.

5. "Horrible dangerous place to work"

Former Employee - Residential Counselor in Berwyn, PA
    Former Employee - Residential Counselor in Berwyn, PA

I worked at Melmark full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The kids are cool to work with

Cons

The staff are young and under trained, management don't care about staff or residents, the directors lie to parents about what goes on with the kids, they purposely trigger behaviors and put everyone in danger

Advice to Management

Close it down send those ppl to be cared for properly somewhere else

6. "Residential Aide"

Current Employee - Residential Aide in Berwyn, PA
    Current Employee - Residential Aide in Berwyn, PA

I have been working at Melmark part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The help I provide for the individuals

Cons

There's a lack of communication, no care for the staff, not enough appreciation for the staff, the individuals homes are not cared for properly, the managers don't provide proper training, favoritism, the individuals aren't provided for enough due to lack of supervision by the supervisors. No bonuses either, which could help show appreciation for staff from time to time.

Advice to Management

Management needs to do a better job at providing the proper staffing for the homes to care for the individuals. They need to be focused more on the care of the individuals and the care of the household. There needs to be better training for the new staff that comes into the homes.

7. "ABA Counselor"

I worked at Melmark full-time

Pros

$1 lunch but you get what you pay for.

Cons

Interview was misleading about the position. Dangerous environment to work in and never enough staff. Surrounded by body fluids and pathogens.

8. "ABA Counselor"

I worked at Melmark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cheap lunch
    Love the children
    Fun trips

Cons

Management didn't care about staff
    Staff bullied other staff
    Staff didn't care to help the kids

"Don't Make The Same Mistake As I Did"

I worked at Melmark full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Decent pay (but not for the amount of responsibilities, and also once you take into account the amount you have to pay for health insurance the pay ends up not being as good.
    -SOME supportive co-workers
    -a few of the clients are endearing
    -pretty campus

Cons

-Expensive Benefits (and a three month waiting period to even have access to said "benefits")
    -Payroll will find ways to avoid paying you
    -Upper management does not care about direct care staff
    -Policies in place that make the work environment incredibly dangerous for direct care staff, and I have worked in several Residential Treatment Facilities prior to Melmark. Don't be distracted like I was by the "fancy" terminology and so-called "management" of the environment, many people have been severely injured on the job by clients. Do not risk your health--and life--for a mediocre paycheck
    -Unreliable coworkers. You cannot trust many of your coworkers.
    -Interviewers are misleading. You are not told many of the responsibilities because they know that they would deter many applicants. The interviewers will tell you what you want to hear--many of my coworkers told me this.
    -Unreasonable expectations of staff (e.g. you are expected to carry with you many items that are required for the job while physically managing the clients. You could find yourself attempting to document a crisis situation while having your hair pulled and attempting to run goals and cooking dinner...all simultaneously).

Advice to Management

-Attempt to see your direct care staff as human beings
    -Restructure the approach to crisis intervention
    -Consider the safety of your employees, not just your clients
    -Accurately represent the job responsibilities on job postings and during the interview

10. "Positive work environment"

I have been working at Melmark full-time

Pros

I believe that at its heart, Melmark works toward the best interests of the individual. They go the extra mile in making daily life and special events enjoyable for all individuals- adults and children.

There can be a great team atmosphere as all are working toward a single goal. Having a multi-disciplinary approach is something that you don't find at many facilities.

Certain benefits are quite good. Others are average. There is almost always the ability to be promoted within the company.

Cons

Certain policies are not disseminated well so that people are held accountable for things they did not know about.

At times employees can be clique-ish.

Advice to Management

No organization is perfect. But I think you are on a good path by trying to recognize employees and reduce turn over. Although money is always nice, simple acknowledgement goes a long way.