Mills & Reeve Reviews | Glassdoor

Mills & Reeve Reviews

4.4
Claire Clarke

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Very good place to work, friendly and open"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Mills & Reeve full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very good place to work, friendly and open

Cons

Multiple offices, required to travel occasionally

2. "A great start"

Pros

I'm fairly new to Mills & Reeve, but my experiences so far have been great. I was contacted directly via LinkedIn, had a telephone interview and then a face to face interview a week later. My notice period was fairly lengthy but my line manager kept in contact with me throughout this time.

The induction process is fairly structured, so you know ahead of time where you need to be, but mostly consists of policy reading and IT training. It was nice to be able to do this with other new starters in my office.

There is a sense of team here which I've witnessed since starting and it genuinely seems like a nice place to work and I'm not surprised they've featured in the Sunday Times Best Companies for the last 14 years.

Cons

The Birmingham office is a little outdated and tired in comparison to the other offices.

3. "A great firm with a strong future"

I have been working at Mills & Reeve full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A great firm which makes every effort to both look after and develop employees.
    The work quality is of a city standard, but with the benefits of being located in the regions. Having a lifestyle balance is very much instilled in the culture, but this shouldn’t be confused with not having to work hard! Genuinely nice people to work with in all of the offices – having a role that allows me to move around a number of locations regularly has made the so-called ‘collaborative culture’ very evident.

Cons

There can be disparity between departments, and whilst work is being done to bridge to the gap, there still seems to be a divide between Lawyers and Support.

Advice to Management

Ensure that all employees in the firm feel valued, and truly understand their contribution to the long-term strategy of the firm.

4. "Very positive environment"

I have been working at Mills & Reeve full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A genuinely nice place to work! The management of the firm believe in the core values and this leads to a positive environment, making going to work easy. Their is a good level of trust from managers as well, you work hard and you are rewarded. People stay for a long time.

Cons

Not all departments are lead in the same way (this can be a positive and a negative as everyone works differently), some managers are very controlling.

Advice to Management

Take a step back sometimes.

5. "Decent firm"

Former Employee - Trainee Solicitor in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Trainee Solicitor in London, England (UK)

I worked at Mills & Reeve (More than a year)

Pros

Good work life balance, whilst still having good quality work. A good regional alternative to a big city law firm. Good variety of departments.

Cons

A lot depends on what department you are in. As with any firm, a big variety of expectations from different partners.

Advice to Management

Tension between previous position of selling a good, work life balance and desire to now be competing with top 10 firms for work.

"General good, watch upper management"

I worked at Mills & Reeve full-time

Pros

Secretarial and support staff are friendly
    Regular nights out.
    Role is very defined
    Relaxed atmosphere
    Opportunity to train is available, to most employees.

Cons

Senior Management can encourage exclusion of individuals
    Very Cliquey, if you don't fit in you are made to feel it

Advice to Management

We people complain about individuals you should pay attention. I witnessed a number of individuals reach out to management and HR old to be ignored.

7. "A genuinely professional and caring organisation"

Pros

Managing Partner really believes in the values

Cons

Not all of the partners are as good as others in understanding the values

"Fantastic Company"

Former Employee - Legal Secretary in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Legal Secretary in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Pros

Friendly, Good Hours, Interesting Work, Great Location, Lovely team, no unfriendliness between Partners and support staff - very good working relationship with all members of the company

Cons

There really weren't many cons which can be mentioned about Mills and Reeve but maybe the way that work is quite unpredictible with some weeks being slow and others very busy

Advice to Management

Mark Jeffries is a very good leader whose presence is felt in all parts of the firm which ensures that management and practice are not too far removed. Keep this up!