Mission Health Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
Ronald A. Paulus

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Investment in making it a great place to work (in 13 reviews)

• Mission is doing so really innovative things in support of best patient care practices (in 9 reviews)

1. "Registered Nurse"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse (RN)
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse (RN)

I have been working at Mission Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Supportive work environment among staff.
    Receptive leadership.

Cons

patient to staff ratio
    Lack of communication between management and grass roots staffing

Advice to Management

Improve communication and timeliness of updates.

2. "On the journey to Magnet!"

Current Employee - Nursing Leader in Asheville, NC
    Current Employee - Nursing Leader in Asheville, NC

I have been working at Mission Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Magnet comittment is creating a lot of change with restructuring of Shared Governance, more input into practice. There will be huge changes over the next several years empowering nurses. New certification review courses, easier ways to become certified, new clinical ladder, lots of professional development opportunities. CNO and takes feedback to heart and are engaged with frontline staff. Many quality awards.

Cons

A stable culture that makes change tougher. Lots of change that long time employees might not be able to keep up with.

Advice to Management

Keep up the visibility and engagement!

3. "coordinator"

I have been working at Mission Health full-time

Pros

Most of the people are helpful and friendly.

Cons

Pay is low., benefits not that great.

"supervisor x 10 years/staff therapist x 10 years"

Former Employee - Registered Respiratory Therapist in Asheville, NC
    Former Employee - Registered Respiratory Therapist in Asheville, NC

I worked at Mission Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Growing , chance to cont education, changing environment, flexible schedule, a chance to always provide quality care

Cons

management doesn't listen to staff member on departure, departure, treated as a criminal after working there for 22 years.

Oct 4, 2017 – Director - Talent Acquisition and Career Exploration

Thank you for your hard work and care for your patients and our community while at Mission for 22 years. I suspect your work touched and made a difference to a tremendous number of people. Agree... More

5. "Staff nurse in procedural area"

Current Employee - Staff RN in Asheville, NC
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Asheville, NC

I have been working at Mission Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The community, the Doctors, the patients, my coworkers are all awesome.

Cons

It's all about the bottom dollar. They would rather hire a new grad at the bottom of the pay scale rather than keep a nurse with invaluable experience. They write you up for the most minor infractions and the culture is " tow the line or else you will be replaced."

Advice to Management

Value all your employees and their experience. You will have much safer patient outcomes

6. "Worst place to work ever!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Asheville, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Asheville, NC

I have been working at Mission Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits if you can afford them.

Cons

Understaffed underpaid high stress long hours with no time for breaks hostile work environment

Advice to Management

Stop taking vacations and help your employees before they are all gone.

"Do your research throughly- beware."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Asheville, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Asheville, NC

I worked at Mission Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The only pro of working for this facility was that it was local and a short commute.

Cons

Favoritism. Corporate Politics. Unnecessary Bureaucracy. Low moral.

Advice to Management

Take time to listen to the people who actually do the work...

"Good place to start but you won't want to stay here long term"

Former Employee - RN, Bsn in Mission, NC
    Former Employee - RN, Bsn in Mission, NC

I worked at Mission Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They are always hiring so getting a job is fairly easy.
    Most of the employees you will work with on a daily basis are great people and have your back.
    They are in the process of building a new ER to (hopefully) alleviate so much of the stress of serving a growing community with the outdated current one.
    If there is an issue with department management, don't worry because turnover is so high that after a few months, there will likely be a new management.

Cons

This company does not care about patient outcomes and patient care. They treat patients like customers in a drive through where quality is sacrificed for quick service. The nurses on my unit were constantly overworked and when we would ask for help from managers, team leaders etc, we were ignored. Several staff that I worked with had to write complaints to HR in order to ensure that staff was able to even get lunch breaks on a 12 hour shift. Upper management will lie to your face about what is acceptable staffing/patient ratios in order to force nurses to take more patients than they can safely care for. This hospital uses a very high percentage of traveling nurses because they can't keep full time staff nurses around longer than a year. They constantly bring up the fact that "patient satisfaction scores" are low but never actually listen to the staff when they ask for adequate nurse/tech staffing to be able to provide good patient care. One of the main reasons that I left this hospital is because I would not ever want to be a patient here and employees are forced to use Mission facilities with the insurance plan. I have worked for several other hospitals and I have never felt this way about any other facility. I have the utmost confidence in the doctors and nurses that I worked side by side with on a daily basis. However, when staff is spread too thin, and nurse to patient ratios are at unsafe levels, even the best healthcare team can fail and bad things can (and will) happen. I think it's just a matter of time before the current clueless management drives this place into the ground. However, since they are basically the ONLY choice in this area, they will continue to get business. If your insurance allows you to go elsewhere, definitely do.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees when they ask for help. If you only want to make money, find a different business. Imagine the overworked and exhausted nurse and tech are taking care of your mother or father before you push them to take more patients than they feel they can safely care for. When an employee gives their notice that they are quitting, perhaps the CEO/CNO should reach out to them and ask them why they are leaving. Exit interviews are only done at the request of the employee who is leaving. I feel like if the organization cared at all about why they were losing good nurses after a year or 2, they would reach out and ask. It's very clear that this hospital would be much better off in different hands. As far as the CEO goes, I gave him a positive rating, but only because I think that he is largely ignorant as to the way his hospital is run on a day to day basis. I would hope that if he actually reads these reviews that he would seek out to address the concerns of some of the bedside nurses and staff and re-evaluate the performance of the upper management who don't seem to care about anyone but themselves.

Sep 29, 2017 – Director - Talent Acquisition and Career Exploration

Thanks for your feedback. As we strive to be a Great Place to Work and Practice, it is the input of our team that helps us all be better and serve our community in the best ways possible. As a top... More

9. "Hours"

Current Employee - Exercise Specialist
    Current Employee - Exercise Specialist

I have been working at Mission Health part-time

Pros

I get to work with great patients who remind me why I do what I do, Such a friendly staff

Cons

There doesn't seem to be room for me to move up. I don't get full time with my patients which is hard for me to help them fully to my ability

Advice to Management

If you aren't going to allow me full access to my patients, why hire an exercise specialist if the nurses get to do the work I was hired to do.

Sep 29, 2017 – Director - Talent Acquisition and Career Exploration

Thanks for your feedback, and for your concerns about moving up in the organization. We have a Career Development Center that was specificaly created to support our team members to grow within... More

"Don't work in this place!"

I worked at Mission Health part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are no pros here

Cons

Worked FT and PT over 10 year. Management awful, doesn't stand up for employees. Very dark miserable place to work now. Didn't use to be that way. Morale bad, patient care stinks. For such a big facility they are going backwards. Also physically dirty.

Advice to Management

Clean house, start over. Throw
    All management out from highest to lowest. Can't give it less than a1. Needs to be a minus 10. Turnover horrible. Paulus is a huge joke

Sep 29, 2017 – Director - Talent Acquisition and Career Exploration

Thanks for your honest feedback, and your contributions to Mission Health for 10 years. We are sorry to hear your opinion of Mission has changed since leaving your career here. Just today we... More