Modest Needs Foundation Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Keith Taylor

1. "Amazing Work at an Amazing Place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Modest Needs Foundation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The working environment is great, professional but positive and supportive. The work we do here is truly rewarding and impactful. You get to be on both sides of seeing peoples generosity and the deserving families receiving it.

Cons

The only downside is the feeling you get when you have to turn an applicant away. That never gets easier.

Advice to Management

Don't change!

2. "Low Stress Job Helping People In Need"

Current Employee - Client Advocate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Client Advocate in New York, NY

I have been working at Modest Needs Foundation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very generous salary and benefits. Strictly 9-5 Monday thru Friday. Relaxed work environment. Great mission.

Cons

Reviewing grant applications means that your reading about people struggling through very difficult situations. If you are the type who can't leave work at work, this could tough to deal with. The company is tiny, as in less than 10 employees, so I'm not sure how much space for advancement there is. These aren't really an issue for me, but there the things I could see making this a bad fit for some people.

3. "I loved my job"

Former Employee - Client Advocate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Client Advocate in New York, NY

Pros

Modest Needs was a fantastic place to work. Like other reviewers have said, I always felt like part of a family, and I always knew I was making a huge difference in the lives of the people who applied for and received our help.

Cons

Truthfully, the hardest part of the job was not being able to help every deserving person. I guess this is to be expected when you work at a small charity, but we got to know our applicants on a pretty personal level, so it was still difficult when we couldn't help them.

Advice to Management

I think management does a great job given the limited resources available, but I think some employees really aren't a good fit for the org and tend to drag other people down. I think mgmt should be more proactively careful in hiring.

"A Great Place to Work, Wonderful Colleagues"

Current Employee - Marketing Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Modest Needs Foundation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Modest Needs is a well-managed organization with a great mission, terrific colleagues, and a genuine spirit of teamwork, professionalism, and compassion. I'd always wanted to work in the non-profit sector, and I'm happy that I chose Modest Needs. The work is hard, but the mission is fulfilling.

Cons

The only real 'negative' I can think of is that Modest Needs has a very small staff and runs on a shoe-string budget. This means that we all work very hard, and though we all are paid well for our work, there sometimes isn't enough money to do the kind of outreach, etc. that would help to grow the company. Modest Needs is growing, but I'd like to see it grow even more quickly because so many people need the kind of help Modest Needs offers.

Advice to Management

I think management of the organization should consider delegating more responsibility to other persons working in the office. This would allow every person to work to their full potential and allow the President of the organization to focus on those areas that are his expertise. I think this would help Modest Needs and its applicants tremendously.

"Truly horrible place to work"

Former Employee - Client Advocacy Specialist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Client Advocacy Specialist in New York, NY

I worked at Modest Needs Foundation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Your work will have a positive impact on people, as the model of the organization is fantastic. You will not work many hours.

Cons

Horrible CEO - unprofessional, mean, plays favorites, arrogant, hypocritical . He is an unpleasant man, with a poor work ethic. He manages to trick great people to work for him, but eventually everyone leaves.

Advice to Management

Follow your own policies!

"a great cause managed by unprofessional, mean spirited management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Modest Needs Foundation part-time

Pros

The pro of this company is a great one--people who need assistance are able to get it many times.

Cons

When the President of the company's commendable desire to help people turned into a greedy ploy, something went array. Not only did he force us to be less compassionate with clients, he was innappropriate and insensitive as a boss.

Advice to Management

Try to get back to the place you were in when you founded the company, a place of humility and gratitude, of love and of service. Don't encourage your employees to be less kind and more cold.

"Horrible, unstable workplace - AVOID"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Modest Needs Foundation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Charity is a good concept that does help some people.

Cons

-unpleasant, unstable environment
    -poor pay while management earns large salary
    -pay delayed without notice!
    -change in pay schedule on a whim
    -dishonesty from manager
    -constant changes in policy without warning
    -sexual harrassment
    -disrespectful to applicants
    -comments on employees' weight and appearance
    -subject to unbalanced moods of management
    -no room for advancement
    -disrespectful of employees
    -invasion of a reasonable right to privacy
    -see Charity Navigator's Donor Advisory for more on questionable business practices

Advice to Management

Substantial revision of entire organization.

"A wonderful company program, a poor execution of management""

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Modest Needs Foundation part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

"Making a Difference", A good team of support people.

Cons

Unprofessional work environment. Poor pay with little promise of growth. Employees regularly find themselves at the whim of the President's various moods and outburst. Short employment history for past positions. President causing to take focus or concern off of ensuring timely and correct grants to be issued due to personal matters.

Advice to Management

Delegate employee management skills to someone trained to handle them. Fair and reasonable pay.

"Rewarding Work/Poor Pay - Not A Place Where One Can Grow"

Former Employee - Administrative/Client and Donor Advocacy in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Administrative/Client and Donor Advocacy in New York, NY

I worked at Modest Needs Foundation part-time (More than a year)

Pros

National organization, personal fulfillment of need, interesting work, rewarding experience, daily interaction with clients and donors, growing organization, prime location, new york city, good learning opportunity

Cons

Poor pay without much opportunities for a raise, part-time, not enough work or too much work, no opportunity for growth, not sustainable, poor management, poor retention of staff, no long-term goals for staff, constant change in policies, mismanagement of operational costs, inconsistencies, unbalanced work environment, ambiguity on part of the CEO

Advice to Management

Offer careers and opportunities for growth

10. "Modest Needs Has a Spirit of Excellence to Match its Mission"

I have been working at Modest Needs Foundation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The employees at Modest Needs are like family members, all bonded by the common goal of philanthropy through caring and compassion. We do not participate in gossip or office politics, and that's refreshing. Plus the team at Modest Needs is extremely intelligent, but never patronizingly so. It's a great place to work.

Cons

I'd like time to engage with the president on occasion.