Momentive Performance Materials Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jack Boss

Pros
  • Excellent work-life balance; good exposure across regions; great team work (in 7 reviews)

• Lots of great people working here, real community feel (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • I often times had the same workload as full-time employees and a larger workload that (in 3 reviews)

• The good employees are vastly outnumbered by bad ones who are just there for a paycheck, know nothing about how to properly run a business, (in 2 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great team of people to work with"

Current Employee - Manager in Hebron, OH
    Current Employee - Manager in Hebron, OH

I have been working at Momentive Performance Materials full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

All across this global company, I work with great people who are committed to move our culture in a positive direction and drive overall success in Safety and continuous improvement. This commitment and patience required by employees to make cultural changes sustainable is inspiring to me and makes Momentive a great place to work.

Cons

Progress can sometimes be slow and not easy to see. A long-term outlook is required.

Advice to Management

Evolving culture is a slow, incremental process, but it will pay dividends if you stay with it.

Momentive Performance Materials Response

Mar 15, 2017 – Growth Recrutier

Thank you for your feedback!

2. "For people seeking a bright career opportunity, MPM has tremendous promise!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterford, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterford, NY

I have been working at Momentive Performance Materials full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Momentive has a very bright future outlook. The company's leadership is committed to growing the company and supporting initiatives that will make MPM more globally competitive. More than anywhere I've seen, there is tremendous growth opportunity for employees who are ambitious and committed to this company's success.

Cons

As MPM transforms into a modern, 21st century, globally competitive business, much anxiety exists within the hourly and exempt labor force and necessary change creates a sometimes uncomfortable working environment.

Advice to Management

Stay on course with growth objectives and focus on the implementation of modern, 21st century manufacturing tenets, in order to position the company as a global competitor for years to come.

3. "Currently on strike"

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Waterford, NY
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Waterford, NY

Pros

I've had a very rewarding 30+ year career at GE/ Momentive, it enabled me to live a lifestyle I wouldn't of otherwise had. I have always been treated with respect and have always been supported in my job. The engineers and leaders are supportive and friendly and they have always valued my opines and advice. Many of them have been turned into friends. They do take safety very seriously and in all my years have never been asked to do anything unsafe or questioned my opinion on the safety of any issue. I have worked with many of the people in management from when they started in the plant and have always had great relationships with them.

Cons

The shift work is tough, but it is my choice to work it and never really minded it. Working around hazardous chemicals is also my choice to do, I knew it from when I started. I guess the downside is the strike, I have always taken pride in what I do and just pray for this strike to get settled so I can go back to what I have enjoyed doing for so many years. I would recommend working here to anyone.

Advice to Management

Please find some way for this strike to be resolved, there are a lot of dedicated employees who want to have this settled and return to work. There has to be common ground somewhere.

"MRO warehouse Lead"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mechanicville, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mechanicville, NY

I worked at Momentive Performance Materials full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Structure, standards and good teams. Most internal plant customers were great to work with. Safety is huge.

Cons

The unfortunate inability to predict downsizing. Unable to modify your office space independently and the time it took for work orders to be accomplished at times.

6. "Lead Control Operator"

Current Employee - Lead Control Operator in Waterford, NY
    Current Employee - Lead Control Operator in Waterford, NY

Pros

good pay
    management is safety conscious

Cons

top heavy management...
    leaders don't really understand how all their systems are suppose to progress through the day

Advice to Management

be a leader, not a friend to the operators you worked with as operators

"Not sure they will make it!"

Former Employee - Director in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Momentive Performance Materials full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company has good pedigree coming out of GE. But since it was spun-out of GE, it has lost its cache even being in Chapter 11 in 2015. It has since emerged from Chapter 11 and things seem to improve slightly.

Cons

Company senior leadership is weak and is not able to steer the company out of the troubles it has. Nov 2016 one of their key plants went on strike. Not sure this company will make it in the long term. Working under severe expense control and uncertainty in its sustainability is not fun.

8. "Awful Company- can care less about employees"

Former Employee - Chemical Process Operator in Waterford, NY
    Former Employee - Chemical Process Operator in Waterford, NY

I worked at Momentive Performance Materials full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You can get benefits and decent pay, but that is only if you are willing to work a swing rotating shift (1st, 2nd, 3rd) that changes every 5-7 days that absolutely kills your body and family life. But f you are single, have at it.

Cons

The company can care less about you, your family, your health (most get some form of cancer before or right after they retire), your safety and like to take from your earned benefits year after year. You will work with hazardous chemicals day in and day out and the company doesn't care, when you simply ask for a vent for formaldehyde vapors they say it will cost too much or ignore you (just one of many examples).

Advice to Management

Doesn't matter, you never listen to peoples concerns, nor do you care. You always spin everything to where it is the employees fault. That is why there are 700 employees on strike currently.

"In turmoil"

Current Employee - Senior Technology Manager in Waterford, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Technology Manager in Waterford, NY

Pros

Great coworkers! hardworking, team players... intelligent and open to new ideas and ways of doing things.

Business willing to invest it plant and equipment resources.

Business is keenly focused on employee safety.

Cons

Suffering from years of chronic underinvestment by previous owners. Much talk from current leadership of investing in profitable business segments but little action to properly staff marketing and technology functions to achieve robust long term growth in profitable business units.

Advice to Management

The stated strategy is not coherent with the recent actions to reduce cost. Take a hard look at current staffing/resourcing in your key growth businesses... Recent workforce reductions have significantly harmed the ability to grow highly profitable business units. The chronic under staffing will lead to further loss of talent and an inability to attract new talent, limiting the ability to achieve long term growth.

10. "Operater"

Current Employee - Chemical Operator in Friendly, WV
    Current Employee - Chemical Operator in Friendly, WV

Pros

Good Money, great co-workers. They are a growing company.

Cons

Management. Management. Management. Or lack of.

Advice to Management

More professionalism. It's not a place to horseplay and make racial slurs. Treat people like you care and not like you want to write them up for anything and everything.

Momentive Performance Materials Response

Mar 15, 2016 – Growth Recrutier

Thank you for your review and for raising concerns over the level of professionalism at the site. Momentive is fully committed to upholding the policies of equal opportunity employment. The use of ... More

11. "Holding the hand of a dying loved one!"

Current Employee - Chemical Operator in Waterford, NY
    Current Employee - Chemical Operator in Waterford, NY

I have been working at Momentive Performance Materials full-time

Pros

Great Business...makes more money by accident than on purpose. Huge investment dollars dumped into polishing the aging infrastructural. Could certainly be a thriving Business if a major restructuring of management was done.

Cons

GE didn't leave their best and brightest in charge then pull the plug on this Business. The new owners used the management left behind by GE and like a swarm of locust they ate the farmers field all the while blaming the crop failure on the people that grew it. It has become more of a Monarchy than a Business with nepotism insuring that nothing changes. Barely out of Bankruptcy and our debt is again over a billion. Skill sets are ignored with the new management friends and family plan.

Advice to Management

My advice is to the creditors who took this place over...Eradicate the locust and take this plant back. I 'll remind you that we had double digit growth we supervision was lean and self directed skilled production ran the show!