Moses & Singer LLP Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Jay R. Fialkoff

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Law Clerk"

Pros

Was able to make my own hours

Cons

Was just contract job; wanted to work part time

2. "Associate"

I have been working at Moses & Singer LLP full-time

Pros

Work/life balance. Helpful administrative staff. Location. Prestige for a mid-size law firm. Associate training.

Cons

As an associate, it is easy to get stuck in a niche practice group. Not the beast for learning a wide mix of lawyering skills.

Advice to Management

There needs to be more communication from the top down at the firm. Administration needs to be more organized.

3. "Senior Corporate Temp Counsel at Moses & Singer"

Former Employee - Senior Corp Temp Attorney in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Corp Temp Attorney in New York, NY

Pros

Moses & Singer's Corporate Dept does some surprisingly interesting work. I had expected their deals to be ordinary, run-of-the-mill transactions that don't challenge you much or require much creativity but I was pleasantly surprised. Although some of work was mundane, there was a healthy amount of interesting global transactions and an opportunity to participate in structuring them as well. It was an opportunity to learn as well as to contribute to the process.

Cons

The partners in Moses & Singer Corp Dept. tend to be very old-school. More than one of them has a strict "command and control" management style that stifles questions and creative input. As a result, they don't elicit the best ideas and work product out their temps. In fact, for most of them, temp consultants are a novel thing, and a subject of curiosity and suspicion. They struck me as a firm that's stuck in the 1990's. But not all the partners fit this mold, and there are 1 or 2 standouts who are absolutely delightful, intelligent, open to new ideas and who appreciate the contribution and attitude of a temp who wants to do good work and be a meaningful part of a deal. But most of the permanent associates cling to the favorable partners and the temps get to serve all of the old-school tyrants. Not a good experience!

Advice to Management

Learn to use temps better. They want to provide good work and want to play a meaningful role.

4. "attorney"

I have been working at Moses & Singer LLP full-time

Pros

Collegial environment; collaborative across practice areas

Cons

Could pay a little higher, given that the firm is not lockstep and that we are paid significantly below market.

5. "I learned a lot while working there."

Pros

Great lawyers who are willing to share their skills and knowledge.

Cons

Some times you are not in control of your workload or life.

6. "Fairest boss I've ever worked for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Moses & Singer LLP full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It's a very laid back atmosphere and not a sweatshop. There is an unspoken motto of family comes first and you are not expected to do more than what should be expected of any employee. The closest thing to a 9-5.

Cons

I don't believe management understands the plight of what's going on with the staff as it pertains to morale. It seems that we are the last ones to be thought about, to the detriment of the firm - the same amount of work with increasingly less people.

Advice to Management

Trying polling the administrative staff and you'll see how many people are unhappy and why they're unhappy.

7. "It's been one of the greatest places I've ever worked for."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Moses & Singer LLP full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Moses & Singer is a family friendly environment with not too many eccentric personalities. It is a great place to work and management seems to regularly promote the idea that "family comes first". This is as close to a 9 to 5 as you can find anywhere. I'll be here until I retire!

Cons

Moses & Singer does not have many best practices, but they have increased over the years. The salaries for non-legal staff are not as competitive as other mid-sized law firms, but the demand on the employees is much less as well.

8. "High-Quality Law Firm With Friendly Environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Moses & Singer LLP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Moses & Singer LLP has professional, experienced, hard working staff with high ethical standards. Friendly and supportive management team makes this firm unusually pleasant to work for. I am not a lawyer but rather, work in administration, but the place nonetheless feels like one big family.

Cons

At times there is an uneven work flow and am unsure of reporting relationships. As a new employee, I feel I may need more direction and guidance.

9. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Firm has a very strong management committee that is accessible and staffed from across multiple departments; really bright collegial atmosphere; pretty good staff; realistic billable totals for bonus scale; lots of work depending on the department.

Cons

Potential for lengthy secondments fairly high depending on department; manageable hour requirements vs. compensation don't look so great if you're on a heavily staffed desk.

Advice to Management

No real advice to management.