Mpaa Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Christopher J. Dodd

"Don't believe all the bad reviews! I love this place!"

Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC

Pros

The MPAA is a great place to work that is flexible, provides promotions to those that work hard and contributes the most. I've been here over 8 years. I'm sick of seeing some of these outrageous reviews that are not accurate. Just like every employer, there are changes that some people struggle with and likely fail to do anything about because they themselves have given up and don't care to make a difference. As the saying goes, life is what you make of it and the same is true for where you chose to work. I have had a very positive experience at the MPAA because I made it that way and worked closely with very smart and talented staff and managers. Sure I worked hard for my promotions but that's how it works people. MPAA has recently made some strong hires the past few years in middle management (VP and Director level) that try very hard to make a difference but yet that sometimes isn't seen or understood by some of these complaining former staff or current staff. Many of them I know never really worked that hard and were given lots of flexibility, but yet never proactively tried to address their concerns. Instead it's easier to complain and not work that hard. There is a reason why they are "former" employees. The CEO is a deeply caring man, makes time for anyone who arranges to talk with him and listens to any big or small problem. The LA office seems to be a really great place to work (better than DC that's for sure), I've never had any problems contacting accounting, finance, IT or HR -- super great people to work with, who respond quickly and try their best to make things work. The Comms team is also a very strong performing team who have also gone through some changes, The previous head of comms needed to go and our new head of comms seems to really get it and seems to be working hard to rebuild the comms team, but many are concerned that the leadership will likely have him looking for a new job within the year.

Cons

Lots of complainers who fail to see the big picture! And, yes the MPAA has many internal problems just like other companies and have created several ways to have concerns addressed. In my experience HR is a great place to start, the VP listens attentively, provides sound and honest advice, but most of the time the upper management team fails to really listen or do anything proactively as they spend too much time spinning things. The CFO and other finance management are also very good at helping you figure out problems and most of the time give good advice about certain operational issues and problems. Upper management, especially the COO, is absolutely crazy and clueless on how to lead and manage an organization. In my conversations with our member companies that I work with, most don't understand how the COO has managed to cling on to her job for so long. The absolute worst hire in the last several years. The GC is allegedly still employed, but yet never to be seen. I can't remember the last time I actually saw him in the office. Recent budget cuts likely have driven these complaints which I get, but a good way to really make a difference is to send the COO packing and require that our GC actually come in or find a new one. He's pretty good but I bet he'd be amazing if he was more attentive.

Advice to Management

Focus on solving actual internal problems. Include middle management and staff more in leadership meetings and conversations about how to solve day-to-day problems rather than sitting in meetings with one another as none of you really have any practical operations experience to solve some of our current problems or to move the MPAA forward. There are tons of talented staff from the lowest levels up through VP, Director, SVP level-- include them in the conversation instead of talking at them! The problems in this organization are at the EVP and above level.

"Fake Reviews"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sherman Oaks, CA

I worked at Mpaa full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The only good thing is the paid holiday time off that has been shrinking for years so it will eventually go away.

Cons

The positive reviews are so fake and obviously directed to by senior leadership or paid to do so. Don't believe any of it.

Advice to Management

Fire yourselves

3. "Smart Passionate and Dedicated Talent"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Mpaa (More than 3 years)

Pros

MPAA's employees - especially in the policy and content protection / legal areas are incredibly talented and dedicated. It's great to work in an association where the people at the top, the bench strength under them and the staff are not only top in their class but super passionate and dedicated to the organization and its members. The last three years it's really become a more collaborative culture.

Cons

Like all associations, everything rolls down hill to you - to catch in front for your members or fix and enhance from behind; so it can be a challenge. Amazingly the employees remain very positive and committed.

Advice to Management

Find a simple compelling way to make all consumers understand the importance of protecting intellectual property. It's one of the few ways that all people - around the globe - can create wealth today without a lot of access to capital.

"A Director wouldn't want you to believe all the bad reviews!"

Current Employee - Assistant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Assistant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Mpaa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free food after some meetings, free coffee in the office kitchen (standard in most companies) the LA office is bad, but the DC office is much worse. The exception is that Accounting (LA office) is excellent and easy to work with.

Cons

Directors leave misleading "good reviews", management is under-qualified and therefore insecure, quasi-nepotism type of culture, people hire and promote their friends, managers and directors frequently miscommunicate to their staff, who often get the blame. You are told to do things and given no instruction on how. When you ask questions, you are treated like you are stupid. When you finish a project they correct you and wonder why you missed key things that you were never told about. There is no learning curve here. If having a job is like having a romantic relationship, MPAA is the partner who resorts to verbal abuse, emotional abuse, and gaslighting. After a month of working here I became severely depressed. Thank god I don't work here anymore.

Advice to Management

Improve communication. Stop treating lower level
    employees like crap. A member company VP approached my desk once, put a hand on my computer (I was in a cubicle), looked AWAY from me with her sunglasses still on and said "you. Tell me where So-and-so sits" it was my first month at MPAA and I didn't know, so I said that. She looked at me in disgust and said "how could you not know? They're the assistants to so and so" I apologized and said I would call someone to help her, which I did. She walked away without a word while I was in the middle of the call and I overheard her ask my manager (who has an office, so I'm guessing it meant office=be polite, whereas cubicle=be a witch) in a very sweet, polite voice "hi, how are you? I'm looking for so-and-so, Assistant to..."

"MPAA is a horrible & failing company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Mpaa full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I honestly cannot think of one positive thing about this company. I've meet a few good friends there. That's about it. Don't believe any of the "positive" reviews about MPAA. They are written by upper management and HR to try to make the company not appear as bad as it truly is.

Cons

MPAA is a toxic organization with racism, sexism, and a toxic culture. Employees are treated as disposable objects. It's comparable to working in a sweatshop. I've never been disrespected, degraded, and treated like a child the way I have been at MPAA. Coming to work everyday is truly depressing. Upper management (especially those in Content Protection) know so little, do so little, and make so much more money. These same individuals travel across the world from country to country for two days racking up charges in excess of $8K. Meanwhile, those in Content Protection who actually do the work get paid pennies with no prospect of a raise. When an employee complains of HR-related issues (e.g., sexual harassment, regular harassment, etc.), they are laid off. You cannot trust HR. This is a lawsuit waiting to happen. However, there are completely inappropriate relationships between management (married individuals), yet HR does not seem to care about this. MPAA is toxic and disgusting.

Advice to Management

Treat employees with respect. HR functions only to protect the sexual harassment, indiscretions, and bullying of management. Hire HR leaders who are fair.

7. "Pretty good"

Former Employee - Management in Sherman Oaks, CA
    Former Employee - Management in Sherman Oaks, CA

Pros

Good benefits and working conditions. decent location connected to a mall; subsidized membership for 24 hour fitness gym at the mall. Hours not that strenuous (but this depends on your level and what group you're in)

Cons

Not sure if true today but when I was there, there seemed to be an overhaul every four years or so. Not a bad thing as this gets rid of deadwood, but not if you're hoping for security. This is not to say that there aren't people who have been there for years. But probably like most places, you're safer in the middle or bottom than if you're in management

Advice to Management

find good people and make every effort to retain them, and get rid of deadwood- of which there'a still plenty of

"HR needs to wake up"

I have been working at Mpaa full-time

Pros

Great benefits, tons of free food, and that's about it"

Cons

Incompetent managers, Unreliable HR that are both unavailable and cannot be trusted with confidential information, and preferential treatment of select employees who barely work. Too much money spent on management that receive undeserved promotions.

Advice to Management

Treat anyone the way you wish to be treated. And please make sure that the company has someone trusting who employees can turn to for personnel help without worries. "Even the janitor who only picks up trash helped send a man to the moon." Don't abuse employees who get paid less but do most of the work. Reward them in a similar way as your executives.

9. "Worst organization I've ever worked for"

I worked at Mpaa full-time

Pros

There are some really good people here that work hard.

Cons

This is one of the absolutely worst companies I have ever worked for. There is no sense of stability because the company does massive layoffs every single year. They shut down entire departments and/or offices at the drop of a dime with no warning to employees whatsoever. The CP management is horrendous. They make half a million dollars to lay off people that make pennies in comparison to them. The CP leadership has not had any experience managing people--they have even admitted this publicly. The management does not know how to run an organization and they will eventually run it into the ground. Good, hard-working employees are treated like dirt and laid off in the most inhumane ways possible. Educated and skilled employees are given menial work that undermine and insult their intelligence. When management is done with them, they are simply disposed of. It is a slap in the face. Leaders who have had multiple complaints to HR continue to stick around because management protects management. Employees truly have no voice. If you have a chance to get out, GET OUT NOW! ANYWHERE, and I repeat, ANYWHERE, is better than working here. It may look like glitz and glam from the outside but once you enter, you will see it is a very toxic organization.

Advice to Management

Nothing can be done with save this organization. It is destined for failure.

"Band of Bullies"

I worked at Mpaa full-time

Pros

--Great parties
    --Fantastic leftover food after studio executives pay a visit

Cons

--Backbiting
    --Lots of cliques
    --Rampant racism
    --Rampant sexism
    --Soap opera central
    --Lots of delegating but no work actually completed

Advice to Management

Perhaps you should stop hiring older, white- privileged men from military, police, and intelligence backgrounds who treat most women either as eye candy or secretaries, and who have no technical expertise or any knowledge of the inner-workings of the movie industry. This institution is completely antiquated and is in dire need of revamping.

11. "Great Work Environment"

I have been working at Mpaa full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Worked here for a little over three years. Many of the staff and managers are a loyal and committed to their jobs. The work environment is friendly, staff are welcoming and there is big focus on the member companies priorities. Benefits are great, time off policies are great and the overall work vibe is casual, hard-working and flexible. The HR team is friendly, gives good advice and seems very strong at what they do with limited resources.

Cons

The executive team seems out to lunch. Poor communication with staff, gives very little updates about the priorities of the organization, little to no information about outcomes of the board meetings, how the organization does against budget or feedback on how well they believe the organization is performing against the plan. There seems to be a consensus that the executive team provides little transparency into their work and does very little to build trust.

Advice to Management

It's time to either lead by example or leave the organization. Care more about staff beyond just words --- by your actions, and care less about yourself.