Nashville, TN Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Over a decade"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Nashville, TN full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits package is among the best available in the State of Tennessee. I have enjoyed working here for the most part. Most of my colleagues work hard and strive to do their jobs with integrity. Worth mentioning, racism has not really been an issue in my agency, unlike some other places I have experienced in Nashville.

Cons

Cronyism is alive and well in Tennessee. Must leave in order to make any headway. Middle management often benefits (saves on training, maintains current services being provided at status quo) by passing over the lower level employees and filling empty positions with outsiders.

Advice to Management

Everyone is interested to check on the lower echelons of government, to make sure people are doing their job. Upper management needs to check that middle management is doing their job. Just checking results only tells you what is being produced, not HOW it is being produced. No visible accountability except for the occasional scapegoats.

2. "The department lacks diversity and direction"

Current Employee - Police Officer in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Police Officer in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Nashville, TN full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Salary, sick days, and vacation days. It is great to work in Nashville, but the city is growing and responses are slow. The opportunity for immense amounts of overtime pay are present.

Cons

Nepotism, favoritism, and systematic racism. Training is limited and competition is encouraged. Lack of cohesion and consistency. Officers are mandated to work special events. Days off are cancelled.

Advice to Management

Find a new strategic management plan

3. "Okay place to work. In 5 years you will be at 22a hour. 8 hours shifts"

Current Employee - Water Treatment Operator
    Current Employee - Water Treatment Operator

I have been working at Nashville, TN full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Licensed or not you will start out around 17 a hour. Overtime was offered.

Cons

You have to work with the city of Nashville for 5 year to be paid for being a class 4 operator, no mater of your years of experience beforehand.

4. "Great company!"

Pros

Really do a great job of keeping Nashville a great city.

Cons

No cons, love the city!

5. "Review"

Pros

Variety of work over the course of a year

Cons

Training dollars limited when opportunity came up.

"Good Job"

Former Employee - Social Worker in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Social Worker in Nashville, TN

I worked at Nashville, TN full-time

Pros

Good pay and reasonable hours.

Cons

Some days are stressful, but that's to be expected in any social worker position.

Advice to Management

There was sometimes a disconnect between what upper management wanted to happen and what was really possible. I think it would be beneficial to spend some time shadowing occasionally to get an idea of what our days were really like.

7. "A Teacher In Tennesse"

Current Employee - Teacher in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Teacher in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Nashville, TN full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Working with the youth of America. Empowering the minds that will be the leaders of the future.

Cons

Being off during the summer and not getting paid! Unless, you elect to have some of your pay deducted over the course of the year to get paid during the summer time.

Advice to Management

n/a

8. "I Loved my job with the DCSO"

Former Employee - Case Manager in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Case Manager in Nashville, TN

I worked at Nashville, TN (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are great, great job, great team members.. Retired early due to relocation.. I would still be there.

Cons

12 HR shifts... 12 HR shifts... Would have loved to make good use of my Masters Degree but it never happened.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the 12 HR shifts

"WARNING! 911 Dispatcher Applicants Beware"

Former Employee - 911 Dispatcher and Trainer in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - 911 Dispatcher and Trainer in Nashville, TN

I worked at Nashville, TN full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Reliable paycheck, Great co-workers, Decent salary, Fast paced working environment, Secure and safe property, Great training program, Uniform allowance

Cons

VERY hostile micromanaged environment! Policies and procedures are written so vague that they are designed to show you are at fault even if you did the right thing. You have to get permission from a supervisor just to go to the restroom. Your restroom breaks are timed and logged by a supervisor. No structured break times. Managers and supervisors are very deceptive. Quality assurance call reviews are very judgemental and opinionated. If you ever disagree with a practice of this agency (even in circumstances where you are absolutely right), they will ruin every job opportunity you might have in this field going forward by giving you a horrible reference. I worked there 8 years and the longer I worked there the ability to select the shift hours I wanted just got worse and worse. You will be expected to be a robot. Do yourself a favor and look for a job elsewhere... because believe me after 8 years of being an excellent employee, in the end nobody from management had my back even when I was clearly in the right. Numerous other coworkers and numerous members of the community were in complete agreement with me and management still refused to listen and destroyed the reference I worked 8 years to build while working there.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees and rectify problems. Understand and accept that even management can be wrong about things sometimes. When an employee is acting in the best interest of the lives they are held to protect, stand behind him or her... When policies are discovered to be written incorrectly or unfairly, revise them. Be mindful of the balance between micromanagement of employees and the high stress environment that those employees have to endure daily. Most of all, management should think about what is in the best interest of the community and not just what is in the best interest of the agency itself.

"Dispatcher's Life"

I have been working at Nashville, TN full-time

Pros

Decent Pay, Great Benefits, Job Security, Fulfilling Career, Lots of PTO, Lots of Overtime,

Cons

Limited Opportunity for Advancement, Workplace Politics, Severe Micromanaging, Lowest Paid Dispatchers in a City of Equal Size, Serious Managerial Problems, Obtaining Time Off is Next to Impossible, Work/Life Balance is Incredibly Skewed, Constant Staffing Issues, Unbelievably High Turnover Rate, Seriously Low Employee Appreciation, Erratic Schedule, Constant Contradictory Practices, Unprofessional Management/Supervisory Team

Advice to Management

Treat front line employees with respect, work on scheduling PTO, learn effective management skills, learn consistency, teach supervisors and managers to separate personal issues from business issues, improve managements accountability and professionalism, and improve work/balance.