Nextdoor Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Nextdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really good work and projects

Cons

Can give better stock options

Advice to Management

Great work!

"Great engineering team, delusional management"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Nextdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You will be part of a great engineering team.

Cons

A management team which proves to be more of a hurdle than a solution at times eating into valuable employee time.

"Excellent company, great opportunity."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Nextdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Could name a few, but I'll stick with these three:

The management team provides a lot of visibility into what's going on with the company - there is often a lot of honest, straight-forward info shared with the entire 100+ person team on both the good and bad. In all-hands meetings and town halls, we don't avoid the tough questions or conversations - and we always celebrate our successes.

While expectations are often very high here, it's an incredible place to learn, grow, and be given opportunities you'd be hard-pressed to find in other work environments that share the companies' high standards. If you come here, you will be pushed outside of your comfort zone and challenged to take on new things. No one (including the "higher-ups) are resting on their laurels, it's impossible to "phone it in" when you work at Nextdoor.

In general, the company is doing great! Big year so far for positive press, new features, and lots of general growth - and we feel even better about the rest of the year. It's exciting to be at a tech start up that is new/exciting enough to keep it interesting, but established and mission-driven enough to keep us legitimate and focused.

Cons

You will need to spend the first few months+ of your time here proving yourself to the company, your team and the management team. Many people expect this in a new job, but I've seen a lot of people struggle with it. Few people walk in as rockstars, regardless of your previous experience. (Not even sue this is a con - but something to be aware of).

Up until recently, there was frustration with our HQ culture, dealing with performance, feedback, etc. From what I could tell, once the management team caught wind of it, they did everything they could as quickly as possible to address the issues - testing, then implementing various solutions. We now have regular performance reviews (we're still figuring out the best way to get the best, most honest feedback from people - we're getting there) and a standardized time/process for regular compensation convos and whatnot.

Advice to Management

Things have shifted a lot over the last few months - no doubt due to many factors. We have come such a long way both internally and externally since the end of last year - and you can feel it in the air, the attitudes, the everything when you're in HQ.

You all led the charge on it and while it took some time and wasn't always an easy or comfortable process - It was a necessary one that has made an incredible impact and the majority of the staff feel very good about it.

Clearly you all set the tone for our team - please keep the positivity going!

"Great Mission, Solid People, High Expectations"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Nextdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Every startup will tell you they're going to change the world. At Nextdoor, it feels like most of us believe we can. If you're interested in the challenge that comes with trying to create stronger interpersonal relationships using technology, you'll probably fit in here. Although I've only worked here for a few months, Nextdoor feels like an extended family - and like most families, there's a lot of love and a fair amount of dysfunction. Overall, I think it's a pretty great place to work and a rare opportunity to be part of something that is changing the way people interact with the places where they live.

Cons

As others reviews have mentioned, I agree that career paths are not well defined, and the processes for product development/strategy need improvement. If you're looking to coast, look elsewhere. Everyone at Nextdoor is expected to work hard and be willing to do a little bit of everything.

Advice to Management

Keep up the high level of transparency. Do more to help employees develop new skills and be willing to give them more responsibilities. As the team grows quickly, find ways to keep the culture of a small company.

"Good company, some things are missing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

-Collaborative work environment
    -Many employees are passionate about the mission
    -Strong focus on company values
    -Employees are encouraged to be innovative and creative

Cons

Career growth opportunities are almost non-existent. When a position is open, internal hiring is rarely if ever considered, even when current employees may be qualified.

Pay is below market.

Advice to Management

Make more people feel like they have growth opportunities within the company. It's really important to know that hard work is rewarded.

"Exciting startup with a good mission"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Nextdoor (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very, very challenging work on every team. The bar of expectations is set really high at all times. Not for slackers. I enjoy being challenged at Nextdoor and having the opportunity to work with a team of smart peers around me. I am one of the oldest team players but have been learning so much from my younger colleagues. I have been with the company for over 4 years and my passion with Nextdoor is still going strong every day (actually even stronger than 4 years ago).

Cons

Internal promotion can happen more often. We have a strong set of core values which sometimes do not get communicated as more frequently as it can be. Work-life balance can be improved, although the workload is really hard to get trimmed down in certain teams of one person.

Advice to Management

Continue to set tough goals and focus on execution with speed. It is ok not to make it perfect in the first try and then refine things quickly. Let the teams make more decisions on their own.

"Great company & great place to work"

Current Employee - Director of Product in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Product in San Francisco, CA

Pros

A wonderful place to work with smart, friendly, helpful people all focused on a truly meaningful mission. It feels great to know we are making a real difference in our members lives.

There is so much upside in the product. It works well, now, but there is so much room for improvement, and os much ability to have a big impact the product.

The company is at a perfect size, small enough that you can know everyone, and work fairly fluidly, but big enough to know it's for real and have the resources to do stuff

Very transparent culture, good work/life balance, considering it's a wildly ambitious start-up.

Everyone wants to ship good product and get stuff done.

Cons

So far, so good. If you are jerk, you won't like it here.
    This is a start-up, and like all start-ups you need to push for what you believe is right, and not expect everything to to be smooth.

Advice to Management

Keep up the the transparency an the clear goals. Focus on moving quickly, learning & iterating. Continue to ensure sure people have opportunities to learn and grown,

"Great Place to Work and an Exciting Startup"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Nextdoor full-time

Pros

People are great here.
    The product is very inspiring
    There's a very strong desire to continuously improve, and a very direct mechanism for affecting change whether at the product or company or cultural level.

Cons

It's a lot of work.
    HR functions are in need of improvement

Advice to Management

Employees need to see clear and plausible career paths and opportunities for growth. I've yet to see any in-house promotion.

"Passionate and motivated team tackling a big and difficult challenge"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Nextdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employees really care about the future of Nextdoor as a product, company and mission. It's a hard working, motivated team and it's a really great work environment.

My colleagues are collaborative, creative, fun-loving and passionate about what they're doing. We have a beautiful office, pretty competitive benefits like free healthcare, commuter, 401k (especially for a pre-revenue company), a fun culture, and an amazing product and mission.

It's been a really incredible experience so far with a ton of opportunity. Several people have moved up and around the organization successfully and it's a dynamic, growing company with lots to do.

Cons

There's certainly a strong expectation to do what it takes for the job and the company ("act like an owner" is a core value). Whether it's going outside of the responsibilities of your job, or having to do the "necessary" vs. the "favorite" project. With that said I think it's a smart move and that the company is being careful about their resources, versus frivolous.

Advice to Management

It's such a big opportunity and you are all really accomplished, talented leaders. Keep upholding the values, leading by example and empowering, entrusting people across all levels of the company.

"Interesting"

Former Employee - Filed Organizer in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Filed Organizer in Dallas, TX

I worked at Nextdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with, creative, and open to your ideas

Cons

To fast! When your contract is up they will drop you and move on.

Advice to Management

Diversify your staff at headquarters