Nextdoor Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.6
Nirav Tolia

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great bunch of people"

I worked at Nextdoor full-time

Pros

great environment, operating at scale, expanding internationally

Cons

working on monetizing to justify its unicorn status

"Great engineering team, delusional management"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Nextdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You will be part of a great engineering team.

Cons

A management team which proves to be more of a hurdle than a solution at times eating into valuable employee time.

3. "Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Nextdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really good work and projects

Cons

Can give better stock options

Advice to Management

Great work!

4. "Software Engineering Intern 2014"

Pros

Great team culture, friendly people, challenging work

Cons

Lack of a strong business model (not a problem for an intern, but potentially for a full-time staff)

Advice to Management

Growth is important but it is time to focus hard on a good business model or exit strategy. Facebook is already in this space.

5. "Love my Job"

Pros

Great mission, great team, great culture

Cons

Still lots of work to do and lots of challenges

6. "Inspiring Mission, Passionate People"

I have been working at Nextdoor full-time

Pros

Nextdoor is a lean team made up of incredibly dedicated, intelligent individuals. It has an inspiring culture where people are truly passionate about the product we are building and the potential we have to make a difference in people's lives. Living in Silicon Valley, there is no shortage of companies with great perks and fun working environments. What sets Nextdoor apart is the commitment to build something meaningful - a product that has the power to change the way we interact with our neighbors - led by exceptionally intelligent, product-minded individuals, with genuine passion for the company's mission.

Cons

It is extremely difficult to identify many "cons" to working at Nextdoor. Expect to work hard and take on real responsibilities from day one.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Nextdoor has seen many positive changes over the last year and is headed towards greatness, both internally and externally.

"Great company – a little crazy and disorganized"

Pros

Fun, very smart people. Product seems to be helping a lot of people. Great culture, a really fun place to work. You can really get invested in the product.

Cons

After several years the product frankly still looks awful – bigger design investment needed. Would be good if they served lunch too so that employees didn't have to leave every day.

Advice to Management

More investment into design. Simplify simplify.

"Enjoyed working there, culture of learning"

Pros

People are great, there is a real culture of learning/teaching.

Cons

Confusing product decision process and no design hierarchy makes things a little hectic.

"Excellent company, great opportunity."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Nextdoor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Could name a few, but I'll stick with these three:

The management team provides a lot of visibility into what's going on with the company - there is often a lot of honest, straight-forward info shared with the entire 100+ person team on both the good and bad. In all-hands meetings and town halls, we don't avoid the tough questions or conversations - and we always celebrate our successes.

While expectations are often very high here, it's an incredible place to learn, grow, and be given opportunities you'd be hard-pressed to find in other work environments that share the companies' high standards. If you come here, you will be pushed outside of your comfort zone and challenged to take on new things. No one (including the "higher-ups) are resting on their laurels, it's impossible to "phone it in" when you work at Nextdoor.

In general, the company is doing great! Big year so far for positive press, new features, and lots of general growth - and we feel even better about the rest of the year. It's exciting to be at a tech start up that is new/exciting enough to keep it interesting, but established and mission-driven enough to keep us legitimate and focused.

Cons

You will need to spend the first few months+ of your time here proving yourself to the company, your team and the management team. Many people expect this in a new job, but I've seen a lot of people struggle with it. Few people walk in as rockstars, regardless of your previous experience. (Not even sue this is a con - but something to be aware of).

Up until recently, there was frustration with our HQ culture, dealing with performance, feedback, etc. From what I could tell, once the management team caught wind of it, they did everything they could as quickly as possible to address the issues - testing, then implementing various solutions. We now have regular performance reviews (we're still figuring out the best way to get the best, most honest feedback from people - we're getting there) and a standardized time/process for regular compensation convos and whatnot.

Advice to Management

Things have shifted a lot over the last few months - no doubt due to many factors. We have come such a long way both internally and externally since the end of last year - and you can feel it in the air, the attitudes, the everything when you're in HQ.

You all led the charge on it and while it took some time and wasn't always an easy or comfortable process - It was a necessary one that has made an incredible impact and the majority of the staff feel very good about it.

Clearly you all set the tone for our team - please keep the positivity going!

"Great Mission, Solid People, High Expectations"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Nextdoor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Every startup will tell you they're going to change the world. At Nextdoor, it feels like most of us believe we can. If you're interested in the challenge that comes with trying to create stronger interpersonal relationships using technology, you'll probably fit in here. Although I've only worked here for a few months, Nextdoor feels like an extended family - and like most families, there's a lot of love and a fair amount of dysfunction. Overall, I think it's a pretty great place to work and a rare opportunity to be part of something that is changing the way people interact with the places where they live.

Cons

As others reviews have mentioned, I agree that career paths are not well defined, and the processes for product development/strategy need improvement. If you're looking to coast, look elsewhere. Everyone at Nextdoor is expected to work hard and be willing to do a little bit of everything.

Advice to Management

Keep up the high level of transparency. Do more to help employees develop new skills and be willing to give them more responsibilities. As the team grows quickly, find ways to keep the culture of a small company.