Notarize Reviews

Updated May 27, 2020

3.7
Notarize Founder & CEO Pat Kinsel (no image)
Pat Kinsel
Pros
Cons
  • "Growing pains like most startups(in 4 reviews)

• "Also, the marketing team tripled its size and they weren't really affected by the layoffs(in 4 reviews)

1. "Appreciate the opportunity"

I have been working at Notarize full-time for more than a year

Pros

Three main ones: -- Incredible people. Some of the best I've ever worked with, who are genuinely passionate about the company, and are great at what they do. -- Prioritization. Our former head of growth has been a massive advocate in working on things that matter from a product roadmap perspective, and having recently brought on the company's first VP of sales, the company is now firing on all cylinders. -- Culture. It's very clear that no one person or team is trying to define it, but we have so many great modes of feedback and celebrating small/big milestones that it's genuinely a great place to work. I know how hard it has been to get here, but so much fun to see new employees take advantage of making Notarize the company they want it to be.

Cons

Growing pains like most startups. Notarize has more OG employees than most startups, and it's because they believe in the leadership team, and vision for where the company is heading. There are sometimes communication issues, but recent focuses around strategic initiatives has been huge for morale, and execution.

Notarize2020-02-12
  2. "I really want to like working here"

2.0
    Current Employee - Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Notarize full-time for more than a year

Pros

- great (non management) peers - friendly and welcoming

Cons

- little opportunity for growth - engineering/product leadership severely lacking - very few interesting problems, all of which are almost exclusively worked on by a small subset of people - many good people have left - changes, even small ones, are generally unwelcome and met with a lot of friction

Notarize2020-05-28
  3. "Great place to work with excellent culture and smart people"

Current Employee - QA Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Notarize full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Notarize has one of the best corporate cultures I've ever seen. It's a healthy mix of various folks who are really good to each other - we really embrace various races, cultures, sexual and gender orientations and backgrounds. I've seen very little BS here of that type. - People at Notarize are really not jerks - which is intentional. There are occasionally hard choices that have been made - it's a place trying to make money first and foremost - but we've been from the start somewhere that's tried to hire people that are emotionally intelligent and decent as well as smart and capable. It really makes a difference. - We are going places as a company. I think we really have a shot to do extremely well, and it's a good time to hop on board. Kudos to the sales and marketing teams. - Engineering managment is great. Really good folks with experience and intelligence.

Cons

There have been some rocky times in the last 12 months, and some missteps in staffing and market fit, sometimes with painful corrections. But that's gonna happen anywhere - growing pains are real.

Notarize2020-02-06
  4. "pioneering technology, often unstable workforce"

4.0
    Current Employee - Electronic Notary Public in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Notarize full-time for less than a year

Pros

good people, cutting edge technology, catered meals

Cons

lot of people moving around causes instability re: scheduling

Notarize2020-01-30

"Best Company I've ever worked for!"

Current Employee - Closing Operations Manager in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Notarize full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work/Life Balance -- even for Management, is great! Great office culture Happy, Friendly Staff in every office location Staff that cares about the end result/outcome of the clients experience Serious focus on the best possible product/solution for customers C-Suite communication is excellent and honest I've never had such a great experience with a Legal Team in my life! They are super available and able to assist as needed. The Operations team is extremely well organized and has strong leadership.

Cons

Don't have any -- this company is doing everything right!

Notarize2020-01-02

"Building A New Category"

Current Employee - Vice President in Boston, MA

I have been working at Notarize full-time for more than a year

Pros

Strong engineering team building and pushing meaningful features weekly. Leadership team working in lock step and holding one another accountable. No freeloaders Have successfully changed laws throughout the country. A truly impactful organization Respectful culture - everyone can have a voice and impact what the company is focused on The hardest battles for Notarize have already been won

Cons

Responsible growth in 2019 has been a change for some teams Sales side of the house being re-built later than it should have Lack of process in some areas - not for everyone

Notarize2019-11-26

"Dedicated team. Visionary founders. Quality VP's. Solid medium size startup."

4.0
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Notarize full-time for more than a year

Pros

Talented and dedicated team. People at Notarize care about company's product and customers. Notarize has a dynamic, accepting and welcoming culture. Interesting problems to solve. As of 2019, Notarize is a medium size company where your voice will be heard yet you can find a role that fits you best. Notarize offers a blend of early startup energy and "get it done fast" spirit with mature best practices and processes. Good growth momentum heading into 2020. Very nice roster of customers was added in late 2018 and throughout 2019. It's REAL. The product continues to evolve, expand and get better at a fast pace. Many opportunities to take part in that, be it on the engineering & product, customer, or operations side of the business. Quality leadership: the founders continue to set the vision for where the company is headed. COO and VP of Finance have been at Notarize for less than a year, but made a huge mark by stabilizing the company and making all critical aspects more mature and transparent. Customer Success and Marketing teams are lead by people who know what they are doing and who demonstrated that in 2019. HR & talent person is one of the best I worked with. Recently hired VP of Sales is also showing great potential. I'll let others comment on how well the Engineering is run. And yes, Notarize still needs to fill the head of Product position. Personally I am no longer concerned about Notarize's stability or survival chances. It will make it. The question is at what growth rate, how long it will take and where it will go in the next few years. The early days were exciting. 2018 and early 2019 was tough. The second half of 2019 and beyond are promising. Many more chapters of Notarize history are yet to be written.

Cons

I have lots of respect for Notarize's founder and CEO Pat Kinsel. He is visionary, passionate, smart, optimistic and hard working. Of course Pat is not perfect but for the most part he recognizes his own flaws and past mistakes. For example: operationally at the executive level, he could and should have sought for more help in 2018. Filling in the head of product is taking a long time, which sometimes results in the product / engineering teams struggle with translating product vision into reality. Some of the leadership team changes in 2019 should have been made sooner. But, on balance, I think Pat is doing fine. It's a very hard job to be a CEO of a ground breaking startup, and I don't know many people who could have done better. Some of the other things of note. Opportunities for career growth & promotions at Notarize as of 2019 are limited. That is, Notarize offers competitive compensation and interesting problems to solve using modern tools, but is not yet growing explosively to present lots of promotion opportunities. There are some communication and prioritization challenges - as in any young, growing, not yet fully mature company.

Notarize2019-11-18

"Innovative product, great people"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Notarize full-time for more than a year

Pros

-The people are the biggest pro. Everyone always seems willing to help, listen and learn -It feels like people are in it and actually invested in the company -Change is inevitable and it feels like the company welcomes change -Direct management cares about career development as well as personal growth, they also take feedback seriously -Work/Life balance is good -Salary/benefits is competitive

Cons

-Sometimes it does feel like teams across departments could be more cohesive -Could use more swag -Sometimes it feels like there's way too many things to work on, would be nice to pick one thing and perfect it

Notarize2019-10-01

October 25, 2019Talent Acquisition Manager

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts - the comment about more cohesion across teams came through loud & clear in our most recent employee survey and it's an issue we've been thinking about a lot lately. I'm putting together some ideas for the LT and hope to have more to share around that soon. We do those surveys quarterly but if you want more opportunities to share feedback please let me know what you envision that looking like - I'm always happy to chat about finding more and better ways to illicit feedback. Thanks very much, we really appreciate your review.

"Great product; extremely poor leadership and management"

1.0
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Notarize full-time

Pros

Moderate workplace flexibility; notaries; product

Cons

Leadership, management, integrity, upward mobility, respect, follow-through, equity, safe work environment

Notarize2019-10-11

October 25, 2019Talent Acquisition Manager

Thanks for the feedback - if the safe work environment is about our Dallas office, please know we appreciate everyone's concerns and are in the process of moving the team to a new, more secure office. Everyone should settled in the new space very shortly. We appreciate your time and wish you the best of luck in your career!

"Great product, not so great leadership"

2.0
    Former Employee - Customer Success

I worked at Notarize full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great product and there are people there that have passion for it for sure. Great comp and benefits as well as nice back bay location. There are people within the company that do in fact stand out and are gems.

Cons

A lot of the issues at Notarize have to do with leadership across the company. Notarize could barely meet as a leadership team and if and when it did, nothing came from it. And this isn't typical "fly by the seat of your pants start up talk" this is actual basic ability to lead a team and company. There is for sure real love on behalf of the CEO for the products. He is a great visionary but lacks the ability to lead and manage people. The entire company needs to work on transparency. They say they are, but it continues to be about things being left behind closed doors or not communicated to a wider audience when it should be. The company does an amazing job at trying to promote themselves on LinkedIn but in truth, the company needs funding and needs a complete and total re-alignment of the senior team. They have lost almost every single A player they had there and anyone that is left already has a foot out the door. What is most upsetting is they say they want to "hear feedback"and build a better culture but they don't. They said this almost weekly and then the CEO wouldn't show up to company all-hands or would look at his phone the entire time, or would slack people at 2am about something. This is all meant to be candid feedback for the entire company. No one is perfect, but it starts with leadership.

Notarize2019-09-04

October 3, 2019CEO

Thanks so much for the thoughtful feedback, it's clear that you believe in the product and want it to succeed, which I really appreciate. We've made a lot of changes in the many months since you left, including hiring a sales leader and rebuilding & re-aligning the leadership team. We've taken on additional funding and our trajectory as a business has never been brighter. For sure we still have a lot of work to do, and I own my shortcomings as a people manager. But I will continue to solicit honest feedback, continue to take it to heart, continue to be as transparent and open in my communication as possible, and continue to do everything I can to make Notarize a place where employees feel genuinely welcomed and valued. Thanks again, and best of luck in your career. We appreciate everything you accomplished at Notarize.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 52 Reviews