Notarize Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Pat Kinsel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Fun Company to Work At and Interesting Work"

Current Employee - Notary Signing Agent in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Notary Signing Agent in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Notarize part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've loved every minute I've spent working at Notarize. Over the time I've been here, I've seen:
    -Great communication across teams, whether they're located in the same office location or not
    -Amazing Subject Matter Experts capable of answering every question I've had so far
    -The level of care that leadership has towards employees
    -How involved the CEO is in the day to day. He's very visible and fully interacts with employees which is always cool, rather than having a CEO you've never met and probably never will meet
    -The wonderful people we work with across all office locations. Everyone who works at Notarize seems to truly care about seeing it succeed and going above and beyond to help it reach new heights
    -How robust the training program has become and the level of care the managers and trainers take in trying to make sure every single employee is fully trained and set up for success
    -I feel recognized and appreciated when I achieve a goal for the company
    -It's a fast-paced workplace (as most start-ups tend to be). I personally enjoy this because time moves quicker and I'm never bored
    -There are MANY growth opportunities for every employee, if they desire to gain knowledge and experience in different areas of the company
    -You are notarizing documents electronically through a fully built software. It doesn't get any more 21st century than that
    -The time frame in which huge projects and goals are turned around is absolutely mind boggling!
    -Lastly, the new Fairfax office is really nice (with a fully stocked kitchen). I can't deny the benefits are a really cool bonus

Cons

Nothing really. I truly like my job and see myself growing within this company.

Advice to Management

Continue to be flexible and understanding of a work/life balance, as you already are!

Feb 18, 2019 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thanks so much, glad to hear things are going so well for you. We’re glad to have you on the team and we hope you’ll continue to let us know how things are going as we grow and evolve as an... More

"A Unique and Positive Experience"

I have been working at Notarize full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

High impact work -- not only are we contributing to making history, but we're also changing lives and helping people every day

Ownership -- I am trusted with executing a project from end to end while still receiving any support or help I need

Respect -- At least in my experience, it seems like everyone has mutual respect for others and their work, regardless of seniority, position, title, background, etc. THIS is truly an aspect of Notarize we should work very hard to keep around.

Autonomy -- As long as you're getting your work done, everything else is flexible: working from home, hours, etc. Even within our projects, we are trusted to make our own decisions.

Transparency is getting better -- Though we had a surprise, management has definitely worked on being more transparent about the business.

Opportunities for growth are endless. It's a startup, and there's plenty of things to pick up and work on.

Cons

Work/life balance? -- Question mark here because I don't think anyone is explicitly pressured to work. But maybe creating my own work/life balance is a little difficult because everyone works so hard here and sometimes it's hard to stop, or to put things down for the evening/weekend. Could also be #startuplyfe

I think transparency is a hard thing to gauge, but until very recently I did not have a great idea of the necessary changes Notarize needed to make until after they happened. I think we share a lot of our wins, but it'd be good to loop employees in on what changes (good or bad) may be coming in the future.

Advice to Management

Keep this focus on your employees -- career growth, culture/atmosphere, trust, and communication. Everyone wants their company to be successful, but I think a lot of Notarize employees are invested on a very personal level, and this is what drives us to work so hard!

"Changing the world"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Notarize full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've never believed in my work as I have at Notarize. The team is phenomenal. It's been a stressful year, but we've accomplished so much and it's a mission-driven company for sure.

Cons

No one has done what we do before so we're truly figuring this out as we go.

Advice to Management

The management team is finally making some long overdue changes. Keep it up.

"Nice place to work and make an impact"

I have been working at Notarize full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Engineering fosters a culture of openness and empowerment. Weekly "lunch and learn" meetings spread knowledge between teams. Code reviews and technical project outlines promote discussion. Backend, frontend and automated test coverage increases confidence and QA. New Macbook Pros and nice monitors are provided.

Product development is driven by a combination of ideas, business requests, user feedback and usage metrics. Iterating on various user experience scenarios is common. Client challenges vary from large corporate needs to small business solutions to the single retail user looking to get their documents notarized.

Management is transparent and communicates long term mission. Competitive compensation, no golden handcuffs, no non-compete agreements.

Cons

Things can feel somewhat volatile at times but that is to be expected at a startup.

"Exciting place to work"

I have been working at Notarize full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of growth over the past year.
    Everyone has a voice.
    Great people.

Cons

Typical startup drama. Some people have a hard time with that.

"Growing pains, but a bright future"

I have been working at Notarize full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Notarize is changing an industry, bringing an outdated technology into the 21st century. There is a great company culture here. Employees are motivated and really care for the health of the company and take care of each other.

Cons

Like any startup, there have been some growing pains, some financial uncertainty, some restructuring. But we're getting through it, and it seems like the future looks good. Management has acknowledged the need for more transparency and is actually acting on it. They've also acknowledged the need for more experienced people in key executive spots and those people have arrived or will in the coming weeks.

Advice to Management

Continue providing transparency and information on what is going on with the company. Continue building a strong executive team.

"You can do better than Notarize"

I have been working at Notarize full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is a leader in the space.

Handful of quality people still left.

Decent tech stack.

Cons

Where to begin?

The Marketing team is running the entire company and a primary factor for the rapid decline in Culture.

All the best managers and leaders have left out of frustration in the last 6-8 months.

No oversight has led to reckless decisions and no direct leadership.

Leadership says they want feedback and then do whatever the marketing team thinks it should do across the board instead.

Significant bias and favorites played by leadership.

Advice to Management

Be weary that everyone has taken notice about the obvious bias that exists.

Feb 18, 2019 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thanks for writing - without question the last few months have been challenging, and we received our fair share of difficult feedback. It sounds like there’s something uniquely specific going on here... More

"Best startup culture in Boston"

I have been working at Notarize full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I personally found it uninspiring that many startups are trying to create another social network, another analytics software, another marketing tool, another eCommerce site, or another payment solution. You know someone has figured it out and you just need to follow their paths.

At Notarize, every day I get to make micro-decisions that may have a long-lasting impact on how the Remote Online Notarization as a new category will work. 10 years from now I can probably say, "Oh, online notarization works that way because I proposed that feature and the industry adopted it". If you want to make a dent in the universe, Notarize is one of the few places to do it nowadays.

The mortgage industry is forever changed by Notarize. 5 years from now no one will be surprised if you complete your home purchase or sale from your home instead of at the lawyer's offices. It was Notarize who showed the way for the mortgage industry.

I find that to be exciting and meaningful.

Notarize also have a high ratio of leaders, people who not only adapt to changes but also embrace them, people who get things done with no excuses and not wait to be told what to do, people who care about customers and each other, and people who stay true to their words and never drop the ball. Good ideas flow around and get backed by the people quickly, unlike some places I worked before where everyone was simply complaining about instead of owning the problems.

Having worked at multiple startups and big companies I found Notarize to have the best culture so far. Great work-life balance, meaningful work, friendly, caring and strong people to work with every day. I've grown a ton.

Cons

- Software stack needs some attention
    - Underinvested in infrastructure and engineering productivity
    - Engineering management seems to focus more on management than engineering

Advice to Management

Make performance reviews meaningful
    Keep A players happy and aligned

"Not a bright future"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Notarize full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Free lunch on Friday
    - Amazing and very talented co-workers
    - Fun job
    - Location

Cons

The real problem here is that there has been a lot of speculation and constant overly positive expectations. Add this to poor management and you get a company that is heading towards not so great times. The business idea is great and the operations work. Nonetheless, when more than 6 highly qualified people have to get involved to push for a transaction that pays less than an hour of almost any worker - you start to see the problem. Revenue is not high enough and the spending is ridiculously high. This company has never made a profit and I don't see them doing so in the short-run, unless the operations are automated in their totality. Truth is, they will need to keep making a loss for a long time before having the opportunity to succeed at some point.

Management is not doing so great either. Few people with egos are making decisions that are not good for the company. A lot of young talent as well as experienced workers have been let go or left because of the prepotence of some individuals. Management has this idea that they will suddenly make a billion dollars (they actual say the word billion quite often), when it looks like they are struggling to make it to the million in revenue.

I hope that they make it through because there are very nice people working there. Good luck, you definitely need it.

Advice to Management

It takes a great leader to know when you're not the best candidate anymore and allow someone else to come in for the sake of the greater good. Everyone makes mistakes, you should own them and move on.

"Weird place to work"

Former Employee - Electronic Notary
    Former Employee - Electronic Notary

I worked at Notarize part-time

Pros

They'll pay for you to become a notary and give you free lunch on Fridays. It's a fairly easy job once you get the hang of it.

Cons

You're supposed to be in training for a couple of months before they put you on the platform, but I was better off reading a book. The training was unorganized and incomplete because management didn't plan properly. You're pretty much on your own if you work the night shift. When they want to get rid of you, they may just cut off your network access without warning and without a prior conversation. You may just show up to work and find out you're fired when your security fob doesn't work. You may not even get your last paycheck. So weird!!

Feb 18, 2019 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thanks for your response. The only reason someone might find their network access cut off without warning would be if there was an employment issue and we had tried to reach them multiple times... More