OEC Group Reviews | Glassdoor

OEC Group Reviews

Updated April 17, 2019

Robert Han

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great company, willing to take a chance on entry level employees," (in 4 reviews)

• "Great company, willing to take a chance on entry level employees, great company culture, pay is decent, fully covered benefits" (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "From what I have seen there is a very fast turn over rate for most departments" (in 4 reviews)

• "Low pay and not a good working environment" (in 6 reviews)

"Good company."

Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at OEC Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great training, you'll go from knowing zero about freight/shipping to trained in 2 weeks. Good schedule. Good work environment

Cons

Nothing so far, nice company.

"Decent company"

Current Employee - Import Coordinator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Import Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at OEC Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Paid training
    Benefits after 90 days
    Paid vacation

Cons

Hard to make friends because 99% of the workers are from China or Chinese speaking.
    Breaks are one hour long, but not included in your pay. Hours are usually 9 to 6 PM.

"0 Stars. Run Away. Anything is Better than This..."

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at OEC Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The paycheck clears twice a month and is correct sometimes.
    You can lie to management to tell them you have a sales call and they'll applaud you leaving for hours to perform a job that could've just as easily been done on the phone.

Cons

Wow. Where to begin on this section sparks a lot of thought. Let's start by the empty promises offered during the recruiting process. "A place to grow" "We're the best at what we do" "We've got this far, and we'll keep doing what we're doing" and all the other cliche's of a clueless and incompetent management structure plague this deathly silent office with garbage, non-existent culture, deeply inspired by far-eastern values (Orient Express Container) where everyone speaks another language while sitting in suits and ties to stare at a computer screen and make their 40 calls a day (which are fake entries on the CRM system that takes 9, 20-something women in "Marketing" to remove a duplicate when they're made aware of it). Yes, they'll promise room to grow, freedom to be out of the office every day because "That's how I did it when there was no internet", and monster earning potential **SALES COMMISSION IS ADVERTISED AT 10% OF PROFIT. THEY DO NOT TELL YOU ABOUT A COMMISSION SPLIT WITH OVERSEAS OFFICES, IT'S 5% AT BEST.*** For a company that completely restricts earning potential by withholding the promised car allowance, banning/manipulating commission, and provides zero worthwhile training, the expectations are unreasonably antiquated. They'll claim you're in training and use that to restrict the type of accounts you can pursue and use other excuses why they don't you give you what they had promised. My first day was met with an existing colleague telling me he just applied for 50 jobs and can't wait to "GTFO of here". Similar sentiment follow for those that weren't related to the boss.
    As time elapses, it gets worse, not better. There is no training to speak of but ALL the expectations of having learned from God himself. Also *THIS IS A COMMISSION . JOB AS YOU HAVE TO PAY THEM YOUR SALARY AND CAR ALLOWANCE BACK BEFORE MAKING THAT 5% ON PROFIT** Once potential customers begin to give you feedback and you learn more about the company and its offering. It's very apparent why shipper's and potential customers would ever use this company besides having someone to speak Chinese to for your Chinese cargo. That's their competitive advantage. Having no technology, no forward-thinking strategies, no business that doesn't rely upon China, and no ability to retain talent (2 people left this "growing sales team" within my first few weeks and the hemorrhage continued.) It is well known the only employees that do well at this company are well-connected to management, either by the culture of family. Everyone else quickly observes this blame-centric and incompetent professional culture and gets out. That's why they're understaffed, not because of growth. Restrictions on the size of the account newer reps can pursue leaves the VERY few decent accounts in the already saturated Tri-State to the most connected and "experienced reps". Managers get the best accounts and provide literally NO guidance to their subordinates (not team-members because by definition they aren't a team. Nor can they be called Managers because they don't manage) and as those team members leave due to the myriad of garbage at this place. The "managers" take over their best accounts like an Up-Line at a Pyramid Scheme. Literally, the longer someone has been at this company, the less qualified they are for their role. Draconian management makes this place a nightmare and I hope you'll see that before wasting ANY times on these clowns. Quote of the day from the "top" person at this office "If you don't make me money, I don't speak to you"....

Advice to Management

They'll reply with some generic statement saying what they value, they actually don't value those things. The discrepancy between formal and informal values, honesty and dishonesty, having integrity and being devoid of integrity, should all be revisited by leadership....the people with "mean-nothing" titles.

"Great work environment but low pay"

Current Employee - Accountant in Cerritos, CA
    Current Employee - Accountant in Cerritos, CA

I have been working at OEC Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

OEC culture is family oriented. People are so nice and friendly with a casual dressing code makes you feel so comfortable everyday at work.

Cons

Low pay is what makes the employee turn over rate so high.

"Good Place to Start"

I worked at OEC Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

*great work environment
    *friendly work culture
    *training on all aspect of being an NVOCC / FF
    * helpful staff

Cons

* bad pay, and compensation
    *communication not always on par

"Good starting point in logistics career"

I have been working at OEC Group full-time

Pros

Co-workers and managers are helpful and approachable. Not too much office drama.

Office parties, department dinners, team building events.

Cons

Huge turnover rate because the salary is low compared to other companies. Most managers/supervisors are not quitting anytime soon so limited chances of upward mobility.

Advice to Management

Research your competitors' salaries and match it if you want people to stay for a long time.

7. "Accounting Clerk"

I worked at OEC Group full-time

Pros

Amazing work culture
    Great co-workers
    Fun holiday events

Cons

Pay is decent
    You don’t get all national/bank holidays off

8. "Better options out there"

Current Employee - Imports in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Imports in Chicago, IL

I have been working at OEC Group full-time

Pros

Love the job, hate the people

Cons

Basically to sum it up - if you’re not related to or in a relationship with someone, you’re going nowhere at this company. It’s all about favoritism and nothing else. Hard work does NOT pay off!

Advice to Management

Promote people who actually deserve it!!

Sep 26, 2018 – OEC Group

Thank you for your feedback! We are sorry to hear that you had a negative experience at OEC Group. We really appreciate your input and hard work. OEC Group is always looking for ways to improve our... More

9. "MANY GREAT CO-WORKERS"

I worked at OEC Group full-time

Pros

Friendly environment and well organized management

Cons

There's not that many Cons to say.

Sep 26, 2018 – OEC Group

We are happy that you have enjoyed your time with us at OEC Group, thank you for your valued feedback!

10. "Ocean Import"

Current Employee - Ocean Import in Cerritos, CA
    Current Employee - Ocean Import in Cerritos, CA

I have been working at OEC Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

oec has a great company culture

Cons

Compensation is limited compared to other companies

Sep 26, 2018 – OEC Group

We are happy that you have enjoyed your time at OEC Group so far! We appreciate your feedback and are always looking for new ways to improve our company!