OMSI Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Got my start at OMSI"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at OMSI full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

OMSI has gone through some growing pains recently but it's a place where I am so very thankful I started out my career. I definitely felt a good sense of satisfaction working there and of making a difference in the community. I rarely met a person working there I didn't really like or admire. They promote from within (Intern>Employee or Coordinator>Manager) The benefits are pretty good as well for a nonprofit. Best of all, it's just a fun place to work.

Cons

OMSI has struggled some with transparency in recent years and has had A LOT of departmental reorganization. Good people were let go. I'm sure this wasn't done without a reason, but I know it's left a lot of people feeling burned or distrusting of management. Other than that, the biggest issue is that OMSI doesn't pay well. I would say they're definitely under market rate for hourly or salaried pay, even being a nonprofit. You have to love what you're doing because you won't be doing it for the money.

Advice to Management

Keep lines of communication open with lower level staff. Consider paying people more?

2. "Great Mission, Great People, Odd Choices"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at OMSI full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the best co-workers ever!
    Rewarding work for passionate people.
    Get to spend a good chunk of my time playing with science toys!

Cons

Management seems disconnected
    Many choices seem to advance the bottom line rather than the museum's mission.
    Pay is one of the lowest for comparable jobs in Portland.

Advice to Management

Spend more time on the floor with the lower level workers to better understand how they are feeling. Focus more on improving education rather than having more people come to busy events.

3. "great potential needing revitalization"

Former Employee - Exempt Non Officer in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Exempt Non Officer in Portland, OR

I worked at OMSI (More than a year)

Pros

great people, great cause, fantastic city, wonderful clientele

Cons

pay, aim of organization isn't clear

Advice to Management

hire more competent upper management that understands how to fund, excite organization. bring back the fun.

"Icon in the community, idiots inside the walls"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at OMSI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. You feel like you have a cool job when you tell people, "I work at OMSI"!
    2. After getting past the cliques, you'll find a few decent people.
    3. A membership

Cons

1. Management needs a serious overhaul. Yikes!
    2. Very little to no recognition. I'm not talking about the company in general, more so how the departments interact with one another. A lot of silos, no one makes executive decisions, often times the one department that will be most impacted by a final decision ends up being the last invited to the conversation. It's very backwards.
    3. No interest in developing employees. Very few professional development opportunities (often told, "there's no money in the budget), or interest in sending representatives to local and state conferences.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees. They are truly the face of OMSI..,the ones interacting with your customers everyday! They're the ones who tell the real story.

"Shining people, dull work."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at OMSI full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Even on the worst days I went home knowing that my job contributed something good and valuable to the world - education around STEM topics. By and large the staff is comprised of smart and caring people. There was a good work/life balance. It was nice to work at such a venerated Portland institution.

Cons

Extremely inefficient and prone to naval-gazing. A culture of self-congratulation rather than honest, self-reflection. Resources (time and money) were often squandered on work/thinking that would never be visible or edifying to the public's experience. Excessive layering of management and bureaucracy slowed project development to a crawl. Severely lacking in innovation, often having new ideas fall victim to the attitude of, "this is how we've always done it," or "that'll never work." Slaves to a project development process that showed poor results. Sometimes seemed allergic to fun and wonder.

Advice to Management

Enable your staff to get things done. Peel away a few layers of bureaucracy. Remove the roadblocks that eat up time and energy. Be slow to say, "no" to new ideas. Listen harder. Take ACTION on critical feedback. Make the public's experience the highest priority of any project. Use critical thinking in project evaluation. Seek input from people who do NOT visit OMSI. Ask yourself if your work excites you - if it isn't exciting to you, then the public won't be excited either. Less talk, more rock. Pump up the fun. Invite wonder back into your halls.

7. "Working in a world of wonder and whimsy"

Current Employee - Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at OMSI full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love working with a group of dedicated, ultra-intelligent people with BIG ideas and, for the most part, the resources to implement those ideas.

Cons

Financially, OMSI has it tough. Therefore job security is not really known here. Lay offs are frequent and deep.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Keep fighting for every dollar. Someday, we will reach more stable financial footing.

8. "Fun!"

Former Employee - Summer Classes Aftercare Provider in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Summer Classes Aftercare Provider in Portland, OR

I worked at OMSI full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company really cares about its employees and it's FUN to work at a museum designed for kids (and adults who like to explore and learn). All the employees, including the managers, are super nice and welcoming.

Cons

My only complaint was the lack of breaks. Because of the number of kids in the classes and the low number of teachers per class, if one teacher takes a break, then the other teacher is overwhelmed. So we never took breaks, but really needed them! And the management basically enforced this no-break policy, until someone complained and HR made the managers give us breaks.

9. "On balance, it's good."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at OMSI full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have to laugh when reading these reviews. Clearly there are folks who drink the kool aid. There are others who are bitter and should probably just go look for another job. OMSI is a wonderful institution beloved by everyone in Oregon. It has an amazing mission and some extremely smart, hard working people who care about the work they do and the lives they are impacting.

Cons

There is some friction between departments on occasion and also some miscommunication between employees. But in my experience, this is the same wherever I've worked. The difference to me, is that here people seem to genuinely want to resolve issues and make OMSI a better place.

Advice to Management

Listen, but know how to separate the real feedback from the squeaky wheels.

"A thoroughly depressing experience."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at OMSI part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can watch some of the movies and see the exhibits for free. Working in a non-profit "educational" environment allows you to interact with the community, often through fun events.

Cons

Very high turnover rate. Facilities in disrepair and infested with rodents. Management has expressed a notable disdain for hourly employees, and in the past has used several opportunities to notify staff that they are replaceable and not expected to stay for long. Part time employees often work full time hours due to poor management and scheduling. Part time workers do not receive set schedules, meaning you will be expected to work weekends, holidays, late nights, and will rarely receive two days off in a row. Shifts are often less than 5 hours. Because of the lack of communication between departments, work schedules are often distributed the day before the work week starts and employees are expected to remain on call during their time off. Employees are often told by upper management to lie to customers about price increases, discontinued services, and upcoming programming.

Advice to Management

Listen to feedback from employees and customers

"What's in a name?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at OMSI full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The prestige of working at a place everyone loves. Feel good factor about working with kids.

Cons

Lack of focus. Museum in disrepair with funds put towards projects that most visitors will never experience. Teams don't work well together. Managers not held accountable. Senior management don't appear to ever be in agreement with each other.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to be all things to all people and focus.