Ogin Reviews | Glassdoor

Lars Andersen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great experience."

I worked at Ogin full-time

Pros

Company culture and cutting edge technology.

Cons

Too bad it couldn't last.

2. "Manager"

I worked at Ogin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The potential of the technology.

Cons

CEO drank his own kool-aid and CFO was toxic.

3. "Anonymous Bitter Ender"

I worked at Ogin full-time

Pros

The folks who stuck around to the end, and all of the line engineers and employees, were dedicated in every way.

Cons

Management, management, management. Strategy overtaken by events, culture insufficient to adapt. You shoot enough messengers, pretty soon they stop bringing messages.

Advice to Management

RIP Ogin. 2008-2017. The wish tried to father the dream, and both died in childbirth.

4. "Emperor has no clothes"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Ogin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Talented and dedicated coworkers. Free coffee and parking tops the list.

Cons

Top management unable or unwilling to assess failure and make changes to business fundamentals and technology path. If this company was a vehicle it would be the bus in "Speed" and the CEO the driver. FULL SPEED AHEAD no matter what new info comes to light......no turning back.

Advice to Management

Not sure any management is left. Management did not like any advice that conflicted with business plan given to investors.

"Former employee with many years service"

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Ogin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In the beginning, Ogin was a fun place to work. Anything was possible. With the right manager, work-life balance was outstanding. We had a lot of pride in our work and were completely dedicated to the company's success. As time went on, we saw that management was spreading itself very thin by planning a very optimistic business plan while not putting much resources into the engineering of the product itself.

Cons

Staffing of the engineering team designing the product was too thin. Engineers started leaving the company and they were not being replaced. Smaller teams were expected to take up the slack. Corners were cut. Problems obviously developed. Personally, I put in so, so so many hours to make my team a success. I volunteered for assignments and sacrificed so much to help make the company successful in those tough times (as did many of us!). I thought I was valued for this. In the end, I was forced to realize that I was simply an employee. Expendable. I was part of the lay off in November 2015 when 25% of the workforce was deemed "redundant" (their word, not mine).The company is approaching the end and executives have stopped communicating to other executives and upper management. Direction and focus have eroded from teams. Morale is gone.

Advice to Management

none

"Senior Structural Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Structural Engineer in Charlton, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Structural Engineer in Charlton, MA

Pros

Good working environment. Nice People. Interesting Work. Technically a group of very sharp people working together to develop the next generation of wind turbine. Lots of challenges to overcome in the area of loads and carrying those loads.

Cons

Management more interested in meeting deadlines than finishing designs. Design review dates were set such that the schedule could be maintained even if the design was ready for that level of review. Action items for uncompleted work were simply carried forward. Resulted in staring to manufacture a wind turbine that the design was not completed on.

Advice to Management

Needs to keep the eye on the goal of developing a new turbine and not meeting a schedule. Every time we moved forward when we weren't ready we got further behind and never made it up. The result was management sacrificed good people in a lay off because income was delayed. 50% of the R+D office, the people who have been with the company from the beginning, were sacrificed so those hired by the leadership could be retained

7. "Talented team"

Current Employee - Manager in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Ogin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Talented adaptable team with great experiences prior to working at Ogin. Challenging exciting technology to develop and install in field. Good company culture, work environment.

Cons

Product delivery timeline is aggressive and often not realistic. There are not enough engineers to achieve work load--Too many managers. Large company feel in a small company which is a pro and a con.

Advice to Management

Management should learn from issues, product non-conformances and learnings from prior design cycle. Listen to feedback of the team.

"Supply Chain"

Former Employee - Supply Chain Manager in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Supply Chain Manager in Waltham, MA

I worked at Ogin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting product that could make a significant impact on the distributed generation wind energy market. A fun and intelligent group of people work there.

Cons

Constantly changing strategies and business plans make getting anything done very difficult. The company needs to get something out the door and then figure out how to scale, not the other way around.

Advice to Management

The organization is still very bloated and makes accomplishing anything very difficult. Figure out how to get something built first, then build out the rest of the organization.

9. "Rewarding endeavor"

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Waltham, MA

Pros

Smart dedicated people doing work that they believe in to commercialize next generation wind power.

Cons

Difficult to get work done with teams spread over globe and many meetings.

Advice to Management

Focus on ways to make work more efficient.

10. "Stop changing your market"

Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Ogin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employees are from top schools and are hard workers

Cons

Not enough real life experience except 3 top leaders

Advice to Management

Employees are stressed and concerned with change in market strategy, focus and inability of Upper Management to blend everything together