OpticsPlanet Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mark Levitin

Pros
  • Flexible work schedule, employee discount on products (in 7 reviews)

• There are flexible hours, but otherwise nothing (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management and folks in various departments have issues scrutinizing numerical data and wind up making ill decisions (in 5 reviews)

• If you start in a customer service phone position, sure, you can move up one tier (in 4 reviews)

"Great company to grow with"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at OpticsPlanet full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people
    Lots of opportunities to grow and try yourself in new fields
    Top Management is very hands-on with operations and always ready to help
    Awesome office amenities

Cons

Like with any other retailer, Holidays are the busiest season, allowing for no off-time.

2. "Love it here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at OpticsPlanet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great environment, everyone is easy to work with and cares about the Company's success. The technology is second to none.

Cons

I have no negative comments

Advice to Management

Keep up the great job communicating with us and keeping an open mind about new ideas.

"Data Analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at OpticsPlanet (More than a year)

Pros

Great to grow inside company

Cons

Not in City it is in suburbs of chicago

Advice to Management

Can give chances for others to present their views

5. "Love this place.... with some exceptions"

Current Employee - Procurement Coordinator in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Procurement Coordinator in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at OpticsPlanet full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They have no problem promoting from within. They actually prefer it. It's great for the entry level individuals looking to expand their resume in the business realm. They look at your overall performance and experience rather than your educational background and degree.

I feel as the years pasted, the upper management and owners started understanding that employee appreciation is key to high moral. Over the last year, many new amenities have been implemented to show their appreciation for our hard work.

The people here are absolutely awesome. No matter if they are in your department or not, you can reach out to almost anyone for assistance. I feel as though all employees go above and beyond to ensure that no question goes unanswered and if they cannot get it done, they'll direct you to the right place.

There is a ton of freedom. In my particular position, scheduling isn't flexible, but that's understandable. Management does what's in their power to ensure everything works around your schedule.

It's casual here, you're comfortable in your everyday wear and don't have to worry about sitting in your desk wearing slacks and dress shoes

Cons

I really only have 2 major cons. The first would be hypocrisy. We are reprimanded for things upper management does on a daily basis.

The second issue I have, is work being pawned off. Due to the flexible schedules, I'm constantly having to cover my co-workers responsibilities. I don't really have an issue with this, but a little recognition from management would go a long way.

Advice to Management

Recognize and give kudos to a job well done. We feed off of positive reinforcement and being told we're kicking butt every once and a while, would go a long way.

6. "Not a bad place to work at, but needs some mild adjustments:"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL

I worked at OpticsPlanet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

At the department to where I was assigned, I had an opportunity to work with a couple of very supportive and knowledgeable individuals that taught me a lot . They never refused to show me how things work, and always followed up, checking on my work progress. Although the assumed products the company is focused on weren't exactly within my area of expertise or life interest, the overall nature of work was interesting, challenging, and led to some great results.

Hours are flexible and convenient.

Cons

I have nothing against video surveillance, as it is a good way to ensure security and compliance, and as long as it is not taken too far. What amazed me, though, is employees' constant, never disappearing, contagious tension. Nobody is really comfortable or relaxed over there, as if they could lose their job at any moment for very subtle and unclear reasons.

The Air Conditioner throughout the Summer made it impossible to stay focused without shuddering or falling halfway asleep. I would be forced to frequently run for a hot tea or coffee and cover myself in layers.

Advice to Management

Try to create a friendlier, more personable, and less intimidating environment, so that people could open up and bring in more creativity and dynamism. And...turn down that A.C:-)

Pay a closer attention to your HR department - people over there are very rude and depressed. It seems that they really hate their lives and want to make other people's lives miserable too.

"Buyer"

I worked at OpticsPlanet full-time

Pros

Worked with good people in the small department. They were the one saving grace helping to maintain a shred of sanity while working in this nightmare of a company. A one star rating is too high for this place. Words of advice to job seekers: STAY AWAY from this one. Work you to the bone for no pay. Totally overdone, waste of time interview process, it's an online retailer, not the freaking CIA.

Cons

Too many to list. A one star rating is too high for this place. Words of advice to job seekers: STAY AWAY from this one. Work you to the bone for no pay. They take gross advantage of the employees in every way possible. The owners are snakes in the grass. Totally overdone, waste of time interview process, it's an online retailer, not the freaking CIA.

Advice to Management

Learn how to properly run and manage a company in the USA.

"Stepping Stone Workplace"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL

Pros

The flexible daily hours were very nice. It's a small thing, but always having coffee and tea available was a perk. All non-managerial coworkers were sweet and fun to work with. Since the the turnover rate is high, it is always possible to advance in the company to a certain point. Also, you will be trusted with plenty of responsibility right off the bat which makes for decent learning.

Cons

All I can say is that you will never feel more like a cog in the machine that at OpticsPlanet. If you're hired for one thing, expect to do other tasks because someone left and they need you to take over. Most positions end up being very repetitive with no way of updating or changing them. Don't bother smiling at people you don't know, they will probably just scowl back. It takes awhile to break the ice and feel welcome to the team if you ever do. When you start to find out how your coworkers are paid and how you are paid compared to industry standards, you will probably feel overworked and under appreciated. Working the day before major holidays and the day after is very depressing. Some of the procedures need to be updated so they don't foster resentment between departments. If you take a sick day or vacation day, it will be assumed that you went to interview for a different job. The culture is not IF everyone is leaving, but WHEN. It just feels impossible to actually get invested in the team's wellbeing with such high turnover and employee incompetency. The culture can take a turn for the prejudiced and creepy at times, so if that doesn't sound like your thing I would stay far away.

Advice to Management

Foster long term growth and a positive environment rather than focusing on the logistics of the near future using data analysis if you want people to stay for more than the bare minimum it takes to find a new job.

"Losing Talent with Low Pay"

Former Employee - Web Content Specialist in Northbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Web Content Specialist in Northbrook, IL

I worked at OpticsPlanet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Extensive training sessions
    Autonomy over projects and limited micromanaging
    Involved and interested management
    Parties
    Flexible hours
    Small company feel
    Casual dress

Cons

Negative and lackadaisical working environment
    Troubles with successful collaboration across teams
    Low pay
    High turnover
    Male dominated and occasionally hostile for women

Advice to Management

If you go through the effort to train people well, pay them well to keep skilled workers in house. High turnover makes everyone's job more difficult.

"My Take"

Current Employee - IT Operations in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - IT Operations in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at OpticsPlanet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This place compared to my last job is a breath of fresh air
    Smart and diverse population here/ great pool of talent
    Laid back/casual atmosphere
    Amenities like Starbucks coffee machine, massage chairs, ping pong table, holiday parties & snacks
    So far every person that I have encountered here has been nothing but pleasant and nice which is a nice change of pace from the job I came from
    Managers are very nice as well that I have interacted with

I don't know why some other reviewers would say some of the things they have said but I have yet to come across it. I'm glad I have this opportunity and very much enjoy my job responsibilities and the people I work with.

Cons

I haven't found any yet that I would consider cons, but like with every job I am sure there are cons

11. "3 years in Software Department"

Current Employee - Software Manager in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Software Manager in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at OpticsPlanet (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Encourages and uses leading technologies (Elastic Search) and open source code
    - Great learning opportunity - exposure to all facets of eCommerce company
    - Agile teams work together, help each other, have power to improve or change their processes
    - Good work/life balance, 40 hrs / week, with flexible working schedule
    - Perks include ping-pong table, massage chairs, free starbucks coffee, tea, and occasional free food
    - Hire software engineers based on talent
    NOTE: I'm not Russian, but there are a bunch in the company. They know many from ex-USSR countries that rather work in the US, so there's a pretty good legal H1B process that brings in new engineers every year.

Cons

- Office is in Chicago suburbs, better if it was near downtown Chicago
    - Less than average vacation days for software engineers
    - Software department is about 50 people, so doesn't have as many career opportunities as really large companies.

Advice to Management

Do more to hire and retain top talent, like open a chicago office. :)