OpticsPlanet Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Mark Levitin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • There are flexible hours, but otherwise nothing (in 7 reviews)

• I feel as the years pasted, the upper management and owners started understanding that employee appreciation is key to high moral (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • We are reprimanded for things upper management does on a daily basis (in 5 reviews)

• If you start in a customer service phone position, sure, you can move up one tier (in 4 reviews)

1. "The best experience for a beginner"

Current Employee - Junior Software Developer in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Junior Software Developer in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at OpticsPlanet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing teams to work with. OP has so much to learn from and grow for an entry level employee. I began as an intern and converted into full-time in three months time. The organization is great! Employees of all levels contribute and learn to grow as an organization. My Product Owner and Manager have been an absolute delight to work with. For anyone who wants to learn with extremely flexible times; I strongly recommend OP.

Cons

Nothing I can think of! Maybe just the fact that it is located in the suburb but that in my opinion is not really a con.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great team work! :)

2. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Manager in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at OpticsPlanet full-time

Pros

On of the fastest growing companies in Chicagoland, so there are a lot of opportunities for career growth. Energetic team and great corporate perks like Employee lounge, Gym, Starbucks Coffee Machine, great parties.

Cons

Not to close to the city, very few windows in the building.

Advice to Management

Keep up with the growth!

"If you like happiness, don't work here."

I have been working at OpticsPlanet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The flexible schedule is nice. HR does (eventually) take into consideration employees' opinion of management, but only after a dozen complain and a handful resign. There is free coffee. The new gym is actually pretty nice.

Cons

Simply being in the building is soul-sucking. You will do the same thing all day every day. Your accomplishments don't matter, but anything less than par will be instantly thrown in your face. Nepotism is rampant -- didn't believe it when I read the other Glassdoor reviews prior to being hired; that was a mistake. Unless you're happy making your starting salary (or just about) for the rest of your time here, don't work here. There is little to no opportunity for upward mobility.

4. "Great Atmosphere, Energetic"

Current Employee - Human Resources Coordinator in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Human Resources Coordinator in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at OpticsPlanet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Helpful and lots of opportunities for advancing in career

Cons

Cannot think of anything to date

"I wouldn't recommend"

I worked at OpticsPlanet (Less than a year)

Pros

Great office job to work for, they have picnics and company parties, they give out bonuses to those that exceed well within the company

Cons

lack of communication, they don't work as a team it feels like everyone is out for themselves within the company, tends to be a lot of cliques within the company as well, if you aren't with the in crowd you are out

Advice to Management

Communication within teams and company needs to become a little better than it was, if someone is doing something they shouldn't be doing they should get a warning about it especially when there are others within the company doing the same exact thing

"Different kind of company"

Former Employee - Buyer
    Former Employee - Buyer

I worked at OpticsPlanet full-time

Pros

The two owners Mark and Pavel, are very nice and really do try to make the work environment comfortable. Laid back work attire, open bar company holiday parties, and flexible work hours.

Cons

The reason for the emphasis on the comfortable work environment is to try to make up for the many operation flaws of the company. Majority of management in the company is very inexperienced. OP being their first job out of college or in the country, so a lot issues most companies don't have.

I've read in other summaries of OP that Nepotism is an issue and that is very true. Almost all managers are either related or married to another employee, which unfortunately brings out a lot of favoritism. I was in the Supply Chain department and the "Director" promoted her own sister working under her. The two managers in the department are both married to fellow employees; one of the husbands works in the same department as a buyer. This kind of thing really dampers the abilly to build trust with your manager long term.

Salaries are another negative when it comes to OP. Average salary is well below industry average, but justifiable if this is your first job out of college and you need experience. Like I said previously, ownership does try to make it up with flexibility.

Advice to Management

I've noticed in my time in the Supply Chain Department that leadership was very weak and main reason for the high turnover. It is something that will continue to be noticed by employees and suppliers.

"Manager"

Pros

Good company and good people

Cons

Hands on management and benefits

"It is what you make of it"

I worked at OpticsPlanet full-time

Pros

Decent benefits, great employee perks (lounge, onsite gym, great discount) and a pretty cool, fast paced environment. It could be an awesome place to work, depending on the manager and director you work under.

Cons

Some of the managers and directors did get their jobs because of who they are to the brass, not what they can do. There is some nepotism in this company, and the brass can change directions without a lot of transparency. Also, there's no benefit for continuing education, so nobody has incentive to get better than they are. Finally, the pay is on the low side of average, and for certain roles, is downright shameful.

Advice to Management

Consider a continuing education benefit, establish clearer career paths for employees, and consider allowing less effective members of management to step aside for more competent leaders. OpticsPlanet is too big to act like a family business anymore.

"Operations"

I worked at OpticsPlanet full-time

Pros

Diverse group of people, informal and laid-back atmosphere, fun employee events and flexible schedule (depending on a position). Plenty of career opportunities for self-starters who are ready to perform above and beyond.

Cons

Lower end salaries, but other than that a great company to work for.

"Abusive, Unprofessional, Bias, and Dishonest"

Pros

I would be lying to you if I told you there was anything positive about working here.

Cons

Nepotism:
    Several persons in key positions that lack the skills to hold their titles and are simply there because they are related to people in management positions.

Culturally Biased:
    Executive management forces managers to hire unqualified personnel from Ukrainian locations over more qualified US candidates.

Abusive Management:
    At least one executive manager that on several occasions belittled staff members with unprofessional, rude and highly expletive language.

Favoritism:
    Tolerates staff members with troubling personality traits because they are married to someone in a key position event though they causes serious work relationship issues time after time.

Dishonesty:
    Management makes promises that they do not intend to keep only to benefit themselves.

Weak Executive Management:
    Top tier executive management is powerless over lower tier management and allows certain managers to run the show even to the point of losing good people in leadership positions.

Unstable:
    Several managers and other staff resigned during my tenure mostly due to the cons I mentioned above.

Pay:
    The pay is way below standards and the company benefits packages have very low company contribution levels.

Culture Issues:
    If you're not Russian/Ukrainian you will be looked down on and will be outnumbered 10 to 1 in any situation.

Advice to Management

Take control of your company before bad apple managers train wreck your reputation. Put a stop to the nepotism and overwhelming cultural bias.