Papyrus Reviews | Glassdoor

2.4
Dominique Schurman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management has unrealistic expectations around doing shipment while trying to give good service on minimal coverage (in 24 reviews)

• They only hire part time and no benefits (in 11 reviews)

1. "Decent Work Environment"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at Papyrus part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible with employees, Positive work environment

Cons

Closing the store was structured in a bad way

Advice to Management

Could update systems to become more efficent

"Business model is small business meets corporate but there is a disconnect."

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Studio City, CA
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Studio City, CA

I worked at Papyrus part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good products and fairly nice employees.

Cons

While we had a small business like feel in the stores, the company was run by corporate American Greetings and there were a many day when we felt like we were expected too much. For instance we would be scheduled to open and close by ourselves everyday yet to also meet high sales goals. It is impossible. We would also have floor set but not be scheduled extra hours to get it done. A lot of the products are nice however over recent years many of the items sold have begun to look cheap and not made to the high quality associated with Papyrus.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like you want them to be happy at work, don't expect them to do the work of 3 people with hours for only 1. Invest in product that meets the demands on today's shoppers. Costume jewelry, everything made overseas, non eco-friendly is not what consumers want. Invest in training and up-to-date POS systems and please get on board with Social Media at the store level. It is the new way to reach your customers.

3. "Assistant manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Bloomington, MN

I worked at Papyrus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay hours were good

Cons

To many chiefs not enough idians

Advice to Management

Don't be so judgemental

4. "Retail"

I worked at Papyrus part-time

Pros

Didn't pay a lot and work to much

Cons

But really nice store i love it

5. "Intern"

Pros

Bomb company to work for

Cons

Have nothing bad to say

6. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

I worked at Papyrus full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Managers had clear expectations that where communicated with staff. A good employee discount program.

Cons

Very difficult to acquire full time employment. Full time was the only way to get benefits of any kind.

Advice to Management

The manager that I worked under was very good. But it often seemed that she was looked on as a problem since she often would advocate for staff under her.

7. "Great company, Relaxed culture!"

Former Employee - Selling Supervisor in Westlake, OH
    Former Employee - Selling Supervisor in Westlake, OH

I worked at Papyrus part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Before this I had worked retail for about 4 years and this is one of the best jobs I had worked! I was hired for a new store opening, therefore was trained at another store prior. The team I had doing my training (Beachwood mall in Ohio) was AMAZING. Always open to my questions, had no problem with repeating themselves, and also let me learn independently. Once the new store opened I had such a positive experience! Though management was switched up they both did their best at running the store.

Generally got the time off that I needed.
    Store Management was very understanding and flexible to work with.

Cons

When the new store was being opened corporate dragged their feet a bit, though I'm sure there was legal things behind it or something. But what turned into training me for 2 weeks at another store turned into over a month. The only downside was my commute honestly. Then after having been trained with who was hired as the store manager originally corporate went and switched her to another store (not cool). The manager who replaced her was very nice and hard working though!

Advice to Management

To corporate - try to be more organized with timelines for store openings. Please be more conscious of what merchandise to send to which stores. Being overloaded with Christmas and having a tiny backroom and no where to store it turns into quite a hazard and puts a lot of unnecessary stress on your store management.

8. "Sales"

I worked at Papyrus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun product in an age where letter writing is a dying art.

Cons

Management and upper management are out of touch.

9. "ManagementSupervisor"

I have been working at Papyrus part-time

Pros

Nice if it's temporary or stepping stone towards a job that matters

Cons

Poor schedule deployment to employees. Lack of hours.

Advice to Management

Give back to community. Does not have a presents. All about bottomline.

"Beautiful brand undermined by "Yes-people""

I worked at Papyrus full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, generous discounts. Holiday product is a joy to be around daily.

Cons

- Middle management up to the executive level is very short-sighted and prone to micromanage minute details while overlooking significant challenges to safety and morale such as adequate inventory and dilapidated fixtures. Company is bleeding profitability due to poor communication and missed opportunities. Penny wise and pound foolish.

- True research regarding regional markets and communities is lacking. Corporate team and field leaders don't use experiential information gathered by store teams to make informed decisions. Managers and store teams are usually ignored, shut down, and offered endless lip service with no compassion or follow-through.

- Only "yes" people are promoted within this organization. Anyone with new and innovative ideas is punished by being held back, under-recognized, avoided, and sometimes even ridiculed. (I've heard my leadership say disrespectful things about other more competent leaders on multiple occasions.) One is definitely on the "inside" or "outside" of this organization based on bizarre criteria.

-Most middle management has neither the education or experience to fulfill their roles proficiently.

Advice to Management

You have a beautiful brand, an exceptional client base and many wonderful store teams. Tech support and Loss Prevention are extremely supportive. Most of the rest of your leadership has no clue, though many of them are superficially friendly and technically nice.

One middle manager said to a former colleague of mine, "This isn't your business, it's Dominique's business, and what you think doesn't matter."

I think that was incredibly honest in terms of the company culture, if not the message intended by Dominique herself.

The trouble with not caring about what people think is you attract and retain non-thinking people.