Pengrowth Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Pengrowth CEO Derek Evans
Derek Evans

1. "Good Company, some managers are need to be reviewed."

I have been working at Pengrowth full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been a Pengrowth for 10 years. I have enjoyed the people & corporate benefits. The workplace can be fun, with several events planned. Even in the downturn we still have small parties.

Cons

1. Advancement and movement is too easily blocked by managers. I had the opportunity to move to a different department, however due to my skill-set my manager said that they would not allow me to move for three months. The manager of the other department told me they would have selected me but could not wait three months me to transfer over. So I lost out.

2. Secrets no matter how small. Information about the company is kept tight (good or bad). Normally we don't find out about anything until after the public has been informed.

Advice to Management

Review your Managers, don't promote them just because they are the only one in alignment with the next position. If your manager has a high level of people leaving or high skill sets leaving. There is something wrong.

2. "Great Opportunity"

I worked at Pengrowth full-time

Pros

Great people and excellent benefits. I was fortunate to have a great team to work with. The company really fosters community involvement.

Cons

Career advancement can be limited here if you're looking for a long term employer. Large fluctuations in share price means job stability is compromised.

Advice to Management

Promote the people that work hard and get results from their hard work. Also, have more training opportunities that are available to everyone who is interested.

3. "Steer Clear"

I worked at Pengrowth full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good location and nice offices

Cons

Mercurial management and useless HR

"Disappointing"

Pros

Great benefits. Extensive holidays and flex days. Mostly friendly, competent people. Good pay and generous share purchase program. Lindbergh project looks solid. CEO is very knowledgeable and avoids over promoting.

Cons

Heavy debt load depresses stock price

Internal communications often scare employees through over sharing re headcount targets etc.

Underdeveloped time management and interpersonal skills among some members of the leadership group harm productivity and create needless, widespread stress.

Policies and even strategy that seemed sacred can suddenly change unpredictably.

Advice to Management

Trust the people you hire and let them do their jobs, because micromanaging is demoralising. Micromanaged employees with no authority will stop making decisions. Seeking and really hearing employee feedback can be an opportunity to reinforce loyalty and improve results.

6. "i learned a lot in my time here"

Former Employee - Joint Venture Accountant in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Joint Venture Accountant in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Pengrowth full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great opportunity for advancement at this company.

Cons

company is in a constant state of flux...

"The company is stalled and requires leadership."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Pros

There are some good middle leaders and lots of people who are eager to do a good job. Performance by the company has been quite poor for too long.

Cons

There's a lack of information and strategy & the absence of belief / vision about where it's all headed. Employees are not respected or really listened to which is leading to lots of the really good people leaving.

Advice to Management

Do a survey and act on the feedback. The CEO is a good technician but poor leader who keeps blaming & firing people for poor performance.

8. "Fun place to work"

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Pros

Great people, lots of opportunity for advancement. I was given a lot of responsibility and fulfilling work. I love going to work.

Cons

Small company, some people may feel that they need a larger company atmosphere.

Advice to Management

I have a very good relationship with my supervisor and think they are doing a good job leading the team.