Perforce Software Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.4
Janet Dryer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great team and work life balance, managed to avoid a lot of corporate BS (in 6 reviews)

• It is a great place to work now, with the energy and talent growing as the months go by (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • This resulted in an exodus of talent and loss of face for the new management team (in 11 reviews)

• Ethically bankrupt management team, based in Minneapolis (in 7 reviews)

1. "Marketing Intern"

Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Alameda, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Alameda, CA

I worked at Perforce Software (Less than a year)

Pros

Great support from very knowledgable employees. Marketing was a real team, a lot of communication even despite high-rise cubicle desks. Good office vibes with fun lunches and a nice cafe right outside the office.

Cons

There really are not any

"Company on life support; supported by a handful of big companies"

I have been working at Perforce Software full-time

Pros

REALLY nice coworkers, everyone has kids or pets to talk about, monthly massage

Cons

Owned by Summit Partners (private equity) so they only care about growing the company to sell in 3-5 years. Went through 3 rounds of layoffs because the balance sheet didn't support salaries. Not a growth company, you are just going in, doing your work and hoping you won't get let go tomorrow.

Advice to Management

Need employee benefits that at least match the minimum given at other tech companies.

"Run away"

I worked at Perforce Software full-time

Pros

No more pros at this company.

Cons

Ethically bankrupt management team, based in Minneapolis.

Treat Alameda employees -- where the brain trust resides -- like infants and second-class citizens.

CEO is prone to lying and sudden about-faces that don't appear to come for any clear reasons. Poor communicator.

This has gone from a technology company to a money company. Money, money, money. Apart from the Chief Product Officer, who is outstanding, the rest of the "leadership" sadly lack any kind of real background in technology and any kind of capacity to engage in complex thinking.

Advice to Management

Stop lying. The employees see right through you.

"The Future is Bright"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alameda, CA

I have been working at Perforce Software full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

While the transition from the ‘old’ perforce to the new has been hard for certain highly vocal people, for many others it’s been a breath of fresh air. The new executive team sincerely wants to make the company successful and is strategic, data-driven and business minded in the decisions it makes.

The Alameda office has great leadership now with our new CPO who is top notch, and the people here are wicked smart, congenial, and focused in a way we’ve never been before. It is a great place to work now, with the energy and talent growing as the months go by.

Overall it’s refreshing to have a clear plan, accountability, and a path toward growth and success. Perforce now has all the necessary elements to become as great as it was at its peak in years past, and the future looks bright.

Cons

The company moves so fast sometimes communication from the top down doesn't happen as often as it should

Advice to Management

Continue the focus on smart growth - just remember to communicate and it will help answer questions and ease peoples' minds

"Still a good place to work at"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Alameda, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Alameda, CA

I have been working at Perforce Software full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Perforce is still a good place to work at. I enjoy the technology, my co-workers, my commute, the work I do, so I can't complain. Perforce, when privately owned, was a wonderful place to work, but even now it is still a good place. 401k matching, bonuses, massages, bagels, juices/soft drinks, fresh fruit are still offered. Company is still growing and hiring. Change is hard for some people, but it's an inevitable part of life and everyone should take stock of their own situation. If you don't like your current situation you can always go elsewhere.

Cons

The current company is different than the old Perforce, and yes the mood can sometimes be a bit down when people leave to pursue other opportunities. And there is some uncertainty as other companies are acquired.

Advice to Management

I would like to ask our upper management to make sure to keep communication lines open and letting us know what is going on. I have nothing but good words to say about Tim Russell, our Chief Product Officer. He's been great so far.

"If you aren't part of the in-crowd, consider looking elsewhere."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Perforce Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great history, good people throughout the company and nice locations.

Cons

The key to good management is making ethical, intelligent and data driven decisions. In spite of this, decision making at Perforce is insular and lack of communication through and across the organization leaves it vulnerable. The entire management team shares a common background from a previous organization where they started from the ground up to establish trust and internal communication. Treating a leveraged takeover of Perforce the same as that old org was an oversight. The time was not taken to diagnose what made Perforce successful prior to the acquisition and much of the decision making in the initial round of lay-offs was made on based on a pessimistic view of California work culture and put a premium on cost savings. This resulted in an exodus of talent and loss of face for the new management team.

Management asks for trust and sacrifices as they race to find the bottom line but continue an insular approach and disregard input from those who are exposed to the results of their decisions. Successfully managing change is one of the hardest things to accomplish but it has gone poorly for Perforce. Office culture is poor, benefits are sacrificed for the bottom line, and your input isn't valued.

Advice to Management

Management is tasked to maintain an unwavering commitment to ethical values while using their knowledge and skills to influence decisions that create value for an organizations stakeholders. Remember that your employees are stakeholders and they are important to your success. Janet and Mark, your direct reports bear the burden of your organizations reputation; hold them to a high standard of ethical conduct and open, honest communication.

"Out with the old and in with the new"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, CA

I worked at Perforce Software full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It's funny how this company keeps referring to how old employees are the problem and can't forget about how things used to be. How many old employees are still with the company? After the acquisition, many of the old employees were laid off, and many others are looking to leave. At some point, the new employees should be able to override the old employees. At this point, you would think the new employees are responsible for the current situation.

Cons

If this company loses a couple of more old/key developers, things are going to get a little wired. The top executives have no idea how to develop this product.

Advice to Management

Don't forget those old employees helped build Perforce.

"Marketing"

Current Employee - Marketing in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Marketing in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Perforce Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

One of the best teams I've ever worked with with great management (execs and department). Lots of constructive feedback, opportunities to grow, and rewarding work. Good pay. Fun office environment. Company is growing fast, an exciting time to be part of the organization. Coming to work here has been one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Cons

Many of the reviews on here are from just after the acquisition and obviously some changes were made that made some very unhappy. I was brought on after the acquisition. Biggest con I can think of: I work more than I did in my previous job, but really I think that's because there is more to do. I look at it as an opportunity to learn and grow!

Advice to Management

N/A - Keep up the energy and dedication to employees/organization!

"Unsure"

I have been working at Perforce Software full-time

Pros

Nice location, friendly work environment

Cons

I was very moved shortly after the acquisition when the new management promised visibility, transparency, honesty, and straightforwardness. I have nothing but respect for such values. However, actions have repeatedly indicated that the new management team does not actually care for these values, and choose to say what we want to hear rather than being honest about what they are going to do. They sent out a survey about our benefits because they claimed "we don't make decisions without data," and then proceeded to cut one of the top-rated perks as outlined in the survey anyway. They promised the lay-offs were "done" before another round of layoffs, and then the closure of an entire office. There is no trust left between employee and employer. There isn't any stability or faith, and we are all waiting to see what happens next. The tension has not subsided in the many long months since the acquisition, and I do not foresee it subsiding any time soon.

Advice to Management

Be open and honest about the positive and the negative and about your plans and intentions. Don't just say what we want to hear - say what we need to hear. Listen and respond. Establish genuine communication. Treat your employees like people.

"Alameda vs. Minneapolis"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Perforce Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Most people are nice
    - Free sodas and snacks

Cons

- Alameda employees hate Minneapolis leadership, c-level and directors. (see reviews below).
    - Minneapolis make fun of Alameda culture. (I used to work in Minneapolis)
    - Company lacks synergy.
    - Work environment is tense.
    - You can't trust Alameda.

Advice to Management

Mark/Janet - I personally don't have anything bad to say about you guys, but I think you guys underestimated what these guys had going on in Alameda. In my humble opinion this ship is sinking, and there are people loving it. If you guys don't resolve this issue ASAP this company has no chance to get back on track.