Planit Advertising Reviews | Glassdoor

Planit Advertising Reviews

3.4
Matthew Doud

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "A shining star in an ever changing industry."

Pros

Collaboration. Innovation. Creativity. Grit. These are the fundamental reason I got into this business and why I continue to love it here!

Cons

Again - Collaboration. Innovation. Creativity. Grit. These are the reason I got into this business and why I sometimes don't love it here.

"Room to grow (and I mean that in a good way)"

Former Employee - Web Developer in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Web Developer in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Planit Advertising full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People. I’ve learned from my time at Planit that if the first or predominate Pro is Culture it’s not a 'good fit' for me. In fact, if I never hear that word again it’d be okay. Planit’s people are awesome, which is not the same thing.

The work can be interesting. Ideally very little downtime, it just keeps coming and never gets boring.

Upper management is engaged and earnest. The things they want to achieve are all great things.

The profit sharing structure is very generous.

Cons

First and foremost by a long measure, (reference above), Planit has far too significant a track record of throwing its good people under the bus. It is morale-killing, counter-productive and just plain sad. Strong and diligent employees can be set up to fail.

Culture is nice, but when it becomes an obligation it is not employee-appreciation anymore.

Lots of recent growth is hard for any small business.

Advice to Management

Make employee’s lives better with tangible benefits first, and morale-boosting second. The employee guideline ‘remember this is a business’ goes both ways; I come to work to pay my bills too. Respect in the form of good benefits, flexible hours, mutual trust is more valuable than a fun place to work.

Having ‘room for improvement’ is not a bad thing, depending on how you look at it. Beats 'as good as it is ever going to get.' Planit has a ton of potential and the desire and drive to realize it.

3. "Brilliant Digital Agency"

I worked at Planit Advertising full-time

Pros

Great culture. Trustworthy ownership. Strong, well-rounded digital expertise. Impressive design team. Strategic account teams. Knowledgeable PR and social teams. Results driven.

Cons

Same cons as every other agency... low pay. Make a name for yourself and don't let yourself fall under the radar from leadership or you will never get ahead.

Advice to Management

Invest in good talent. Solicit feedback from all levels/roles. You may be surprised what you learn from junior leadership or entry-level employees.

"Big agency in a small pond."

I worked at Planit Advertising full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you're looking to get experience with an agency that thinks it's a big player and has several big name clients, Planit is that place.
    Need a place that will promote their culture all day long, then check out Planit!

Cons

Probably a bad sign when your director asks you to scale back the quality of your work to improve on time. Never a good idea to hear that the client isn't expecting "A level work" so "let's see if we can give them C quality in half the time."

If you know people and kiss the right behind you'll be fine. If you expect management to lead you will be disappointed.
    If you want to be in Baltimore advertising, then this is a good place. Just understand that no one in New York, LA, or Chicago has ever heard of them.

Advice to Management

Perhaps responding to any of the posts here to show it's not all smoke and mirrors?

"Work Hard, Play Hard"

I have been working at Planit Advertising full-time

Pros

Challenging atmosphere. Will learn fast

Cons

If you're not experienced, easy to fall behind

Advice to Management

Nurture even weak employees, as they can succeed too

"Not worth it"

Former Employee - Creative Designer in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Creative Designer in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Planit Advertising full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free beer and soda.
    Office looks cool.

Cons

Lots of cherry picking of projects by favored individuals.
    Expect to be working long hours on lots of uninspiring, pay-the-bills type of projects.
    Lots of backstabbing over petty issues.
    Career advancement comes from "who you know" not "what you know".

Advice to Management

The owners started this business right out of school so they've never worked for anyone professionally and it shows. They expect 120% effort for little pay and even less recognition.

Planit used to be a hot agency a few years ago but those designers are long gone after being treated poorly.

Now it's a fledgling agency that puts up a convincing social media front. Smoke and mirrors folks.

My best advice is that no matter what Planit looks like from the outside it's just not worth working there.

7. "Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Planit Advertising full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are amazing here

Cons

None that I can recall.

"Would not recommend"

I worked at Planit Advertising full-time

Pros

Flashy office, beer in fridge, fast-paced, some good and funny people to work with.

Cons

Planit from the outside looks like a great place to work. On the inside, it is very dysfunctional. Certain departments like account, PR and social media practically turn their entire teams over once a year, This is because employees are worked extremely hard with little value and respect in the way of fair pay, time off and general appreciation. Instead, things like the cool office, beer in the fridge and company outings are supposed to be your reward, but those things clearly do not sustain a healthy career. Employees are frequently compared to each other in an unprofessional way. Finally, what I have not seen in a review yet but it absolutely talked about internally is the dysfunctional HR department, where things are not always handled objectively. Planit is an extremely easy place to be taken advantage of, and people tend to realize this in a year or so and leave.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees fairly across the board. Pay attention to middle management where the significant disfunction lies. Lose the cog-in-a-wheel feel and make your employees feel like they aren't just a number.

"Smart, fun, cool place."

Current Employee - Creative in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Creative in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Planit Advertising  (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some of the most caring and interesting people I've ever worked with.

Cons

Crazy pace sometimes, but that's the business.

Advice to Management

As Planit continues to grow, make sure you keep the friendly, everyone-has-a-voice environment.

"Great place to work!"

I have been working at Planit Advertising full-time

Pros

The owners of the company truly have an open-door policy which is really nice. Ideas are always welcome from anyone no matter what their title is. Even though there are different departments within the agency everyone works together in a truly integrated fashion which is always fun, but helps up bring clients the best strategies.

Cons

Parking situation isn't great.

Advice to Management

Continue investing in your people! There are a lot of really smart, dedicated employees.