PlayNetwork Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Craig Hubbell

1. "Customer Service Specialist"

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Redmond, WA

I worked at PlayNetwork (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, fun environment, supportive managerial staff, good training

Cons

Overworked, never able to catch up, needed more employees in department

2. "Could Be Better"

I worked at PlayNetwork full-time

Pros

Medical and Dental, music acts would come and play often.

Cons

Pay was not competitive. Did not get the proper support with more employees.

Advice to Management

Pay your people what they deserve.

3. "Production Assistant"

I worked at PlayNetwork full-time

Pros

The fringe perks were really cool. Live bands, 3 weeks vacation starting out, decent healthcare.

Cons

Fostered an "old boys club environment." They ignored sexual harassment and hired managers just because they were friends of friends. Payed on the low end of the scale.

Advice to Management

Send managers to management training. Don't ignore employees

5. "Customer Service"

Pros

Fun place to work, creative employees, bands come, parties

Cons

Busy in our department but the manager is very supportive and it is a fun group of people.

PlayNetwork Response

Nov 2, 2016 – Human Resources Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and for all of your hard work every day. We feel the same!

6. "Customer service representative"

Pros

Overtime available, making time and a half

Cons

Boss micro-manage and verbally abused some employees

"It's A Job"

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist

Pros

Concerts
    Good benefits package
    Employee functions
    Free food - starbucks, catered lunches

Cons

PlayNetwork doesn't care about its employees. I have been working in my department for about a year. I have seen half of the department turn over and we have been overworked for ages. There is little regard for our department. There is no respect from management. Most of the people in other departments have no idea what we and how our processes work. The pay is extremely low - I need to work overtime to guarantee that I have money to pay every single bill each month. I have seen good people be essentially driven out of the department. Management gets away with singling people out for discipline while letting others get away with murder. The morale is low. People get penalized for being sick or using vacation, while others can be off many days, be late all the time, or the like and be ok. I thought I would be able to call this place home for a while, but sadly I think I will need to give my notice.

Advice to Management

If you want to keep good people around, pay your employees a livable wage, respect their time off, treat everyone fairly, and finally make management accountable.

8. "Pleasant, creative place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at PlayNetwork full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Bummed to see the unhappy reviews of former PN employees (mostly from Customer Service). I love working here and wanted to put my two cents in.

I am super grateful to work at a place that values its musical and artistic core, with so many talented, genuine people who love what they do. Work-life balance is respected and valued. Pretty much every Friday before a holiday weekend, or randomly, we'll get an email saying the office will close at 3 - enjoy! This week is Employee Appreciation Week and in 45 minutes I'm going to have Happy Hour next to our stage where bands come, and play giant jenga and hang out. KT Tunstall performed here about a month ago and I got PAID to watch her. I mean, come on. There are celebrations every quarter and when we roll-out major projects, where employees are recognized and rewarded.

For me PlayNetwork is the perfect size. It has the best parts of a big corporate company - comprehensive benefits, a sense of long-term stability (and growth) - but is small enough that there isn't a ton of bureaucracy and we don't get siloed in our roles.

There's a HUGE variety of jobs from warehouse to installation to tech services to accounting to media services, so we have a wide variety of people. It is also fairly unique that PN provides full-time jobs with benefits to people in the creative fields. Folks get to get paid for their passion, which is awesome.

Cons

Nowhere is perfect, especially a place you have to show up to every day and work. I mean, the biggest con for me is having to get up and physically leave my home 5 days a week. #firstworldproblems

I understand the complaints of customer service people on here. That said, how about a little personal responsibility? You know how much you're making upfront, it's not a surprise. I had friends here before I started who were promoted so it certainly does happen, but I imagine much less so if you're outlook is negative.

Advice to Management

Listen to the feedback here but also know that the overwhelming majority of employees are happy to work here!

9. "Amazing Company Culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Pros

The most welcoming environment I have ever work in. Employees are very friendly, the company works hard to recognize employee accomplishments. The company culture is very cool. We attract artist from all walks of life and they are celebrated for their talents.

Cons

Can't speak to cons. Company promotes from within whenever possible to allow from employee growth and development,

Advice to Management

No advice. I appreciate the transparency of the Executive Board. The all employee quarterly meetings updates are great. CEO is great about sharing the future goals with regards to changing technology and visions of the future.

"Over Promised and Under Delivered"

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Redmond, WA

I worked at PlayNetwork (More than a year)

Pros

-The company does a great job of hiring people that will fit into the company culture.

-In-house concerts with both up and coming and big name artists.

-Free Starbucks coffee, and occasional catered lunches.

-Annual employee appreciation picnic is a great time, food, alcohol, games, etc...

-It's a small company, so it's pretty easy to get to know and network with people in other departments.

-Overtime opportunities for CS employees

Cons

-Very low pay - More on this in a bit

-Those overtime opportunities mentioned in the "Pros" section? Not only are Saturday morning overtime shifts mandatory (sorry about your weekend plans), but they're necessary in order to earn a reasonable wage. When you're relying on overtime pay to make ends meet, it's a real kick in the jewels when you go from at least one guaranteed overtime shift on each paycheck, to only one every other paycheck.

-Clueless management. The direct manager for the customer service teams had no idea how any of the programs we used worked, how we managed our daily workflow, what any of our actual processes were, or how any of the systems we sold And through micro-management, meddling with processes, and assigning mindless busy work, managed to negatively impact both team morale and performance.

-Extremely limited opportunity for advancement. When going through the interview process you will be lied to about the opportunities to advance within the company. There's a lot of big talk about promoting from within, but in the 2+ years I was there I saw an absolute preference for hiring from outside the company. And since it's a small company, for positions to open up someone else has to quit, get fired or die.

-High turnover in CS. The low pay, lack of opportunity and, to be honest, fairly bold lack of respect shown to the CS teams at times, means people aren't going to stay long.

The Pay:
    It's low. How low? Real low. I'd say it's comically low, except there's nothing funny about only making enough money to pay your bills and eat, and not enough to save anything each month.

King County an expensive place to live, a company located here either needs to pay it's employees enough to live in the area, or they need to move to an area with a lower cost of living. I'm sure Tacoma or Everett would be happy to have them.

The company also actively discourages employees from looking for second jobs, which of course presents employees with only one real option, to jump ship.

And it's not like the company isn't aware the pay is low. They know that they don't pay an adequate wage for the area, this was admitted to me by HR both after I put in my notice, and also something I discussed with them prior to putting in my notice. They know they're losing prospects to other companies that pay more, but are apparently unwilling to do anything about it.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees a real living wage, or continue to lose them to other companies that will.

11. "PlayNetwork is a great company!"

Former Employee - Strategic Sales Director
    Former Employee - Strategic Sales Director

I worked at PlayNetwork full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a music and entertainment media company, PlayNetwork boasts the most talented and creative Music and Video teams on the planet! This is crucial because the sales and account management teams know they can be proud of the content they are providing to their clients (400+ global brands and still growing!).

The management team is topnotch - and is always willing to listen to new ideas that could positively impact the company's growth and success. Management also greatly cares about the well-being of each employee and the door is always open if you need advice or support. I should know! When I made the decision to return to my academic roots and explore opportunities in higher education administration, the management team was encouraging and supportive - and helped make my transition as smooth as possible, knowing that I needed to go chase a new professional dream!

I'd also like to point out that the word "teamwork" is the most commonly heard word at PlayNetwork because every time an employee is congratulated on their succcess, they always say "it wasn't me alone - it was teamwork!" and they start listing the names of all the colleagues company-wide who contributed to that success.

Last but not least, CEO Craig Hubbell works tirelessly to take the company to new heights and to create new opportunities for growth in new directions which in turn will create new paths for career growth for all employees. In short, PlayNetwork rocks...and is well-positioned for an even brighter future!

Cons

I have no "cons" to share.