Plusnet Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Plusnet CEO Andy Baker
Andy Baker

Pros
  • Good employer, Good Team, Free broadband, free lunch (in 10 reviews)

• Free broadband and phone, shifts are ok for a call centre (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Shift pattern and long days can mean no work life balance (in 4 reviews)

• I have never worked in a call centre environment before and I did not like it one bit (in 3 reviews)

1. "Once good now average"

I worked at Plusnet full-time

Pros

Benefits include free staff fibre broadband etc. Working in city centre alongside similar people of similar age

Cons

Was once an independent, fun, autonomous startup. Now a division of BT where all decision making is central and reams of BT 'talent' pool managers are sent in for career building secondments without giving a hoot about the business or staff.

Advice to Management

The horse has bolted so pointless. Good to see the userbase continually grow though and still winning csat awards... because opposition are so poor.

2. "Well, where should I start?"

Former Employee - Mid Level Manager In A Technical Area in Sheffield, England (UK)

I worked at Plusnet full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good range of benefits.

Everyone from mid managers down seem to genuinely care about the customers and most people live and breathe the values. As for the senior people - see below!

Some great people work here!

Cons

No where near enough staff - certainly in the technical areas

Technology has been woefully under invested in for at least the last 5 years, then when it breaks, they make sure blame is apportioned to engineers or mid level managers. Certainly no accountability for this higher up the chain!

Definitely somewhere to avoid if you are a technical professional, there's plenty of better places in Leeds or Sheffield. Probably great if you work in marketing as that's where the money is spent, never seen a technology orientated company where technical areas are so under invested, but there's always plenty of money for marketing and plenty of new hires in that side!

No one has time to do their jobs properly. Everyone is so stretched and it's relentless.

Poor training - little to know budget each year.

Recruitment is hard because of a lack of using decent external agencies - typically it means recruiting less experienced staff, who are then thrown in at the deep end and not trained properly or rewarding those who survive with decent pay increases.

Very low average salaries for the work expectation, with poor annual increases.

Location is very difficult for car drivers - gridlocked at 5 pm and parking discounts are poor

Senior people are all so self serving - most are from BT and are only there on a short term - 2 year or so years before they find themselves something less strenuous back in the corporate mother ship.

People on BT secondments are on much better benefits packages than their colleagues in Plusnet, and most of these are senior people. It's got a very elitist feel at times.

Advice to Management

Ditch the horrific leveling system - it's unfair and geared towards punishing people who don't spend time sucking up to people to be in the in crowd.

3. "Sales and retentions"

Pros

Good bonus structure and great colleagues. Free lunch and free broadband and tv after probation. Challenging yet rewarding role in retentions

Cons

Progression limited to team leadership unless you are in the head office. Often behind trends and very reactive rather than proactive.

Advice to Management

Live the company ethos more. Care and don't just be seen to care. Work for the business not just your own targets.

5. "Great pay and friendly place to work although management urgently needs improvement."

Former Employee - Sales and Retentions Advisor in Leeds, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales and Retentions Advisor in Leeds, England (UK)

I worked at Plusnet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free Lunch
    Free Tea and Coffee
    Free broadband when you pass probation.
    You can wear what you like, no uniform!
    Everyone is really friendly and welcoming.
    Bonus is great and if you work hard you get much more!
    Occasional fun days, free treats and pizza on bank holidays etc.
    Management do listen, when we wanted dual monitors and wireless headsets we got them.

Cons

Little room for career progression unless you want to become a team leader.
    No free lunch on weekends which isn't fair when half your shifts are on Saturday and Sunday.
    Long days (12 1/2 hour shifts) and still get the same amount of breaks as someone on a normal 7 hour shift!
    Shift pattern and long days can mean no work life balance.
    Management selfish always use the 'business needs' as a excuse for most decisions made and fail to compromise even when the outcome means lot's of unhappy staff and people leaving as a result of this.
    We get free lunch but only on the weekdays not weekends and although tea and coffee is supplied there never seems to be any.. or no milk or spoons to make it with!

Advice to Management

Higher management really needs to listen to staff and not make excuses as to why things can't be done otherwise people will just leave no really effort made to find a solution to problems and most of the time management not even on the call centre floor so left to your own devices.

6. "Time to be truthful."

Current Employee - Proper Team Leader in Leeds, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Proper Team Leader in Leeds, England (UK)

I have been working at Plusnet full-time

Pros

Let's be clear, no employer is perfect, however Plusnet is by far the best employer i have ever worked for. They love to promote internally and in my opinion, are not a "if your face fits" company.

They regularly celebrate events with their employers and are not shy in handing out cakes and pizzas if the time warrants it. They offer free unlimited teas and coffees for every single person in the building.

They have allowed me to pay for technology over a yearly period and they will also allow you to spend up to £1000 on a holiday to pay back throughout the year.

The staff asked for wireless headsets and the company provided them, the staff asked for dual monitors, they got dual monitors.

Yes their bonus structure leaves alittle bit to be desired but if you are levelled at a "AS" (what your actually paid to do in the first instance) they paid you a 6% bonus!!

With the free line rental, Fibre broadband, TV and cheap bus travel to work, I save an absolute fortune and can invest that money back into my family.

Other than the free dinners, they also offer the best sausage, bacon and egg sandwiches on a morning and sell it for not much higher than the cost to them (probably pays the canteen wages)

Cons

They sometimes run out of tea, coffee and milk, the doors need to be fixed so they stop bleeping in my ear, levelling bonus needs to be told to the employee before the pay date, you should have plusnet hoodies on site in both Leeds and Sheffield to promote going the extra mile and the system updates needs to be speeded up no matter what, I appreciate that things take time but I just find it hard to justify and believe that the billing engines etc that our competitors have in place are that difficult to implement real time.

Advice to Management

I really do appreciate everything you provide for me and my family and I try to show this every day by putting in 110% effort.

7. "Career oppurtunties are great!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sheffield, England (UK)

I have been working at Plusnet part-time

Pros

* Career opportunities
    * Culture
    * Owned by BT - Gives stability to job
    * Free lunch
    * Games rooms
    * Free home phone and broadband
    * Support and helpful environment

Cons

* Fast paced environment
    * Dynamic
    * Change happens often and quickly

Advice to Management

* Continue to keep looking after your staff

8. "Amazing place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sheffield, England (UK)

I have been working at Plusnet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing benefits
    Good pay
    Friendly staff
    Good atmosphere

Cons

Systems need updating as they are slow

Advice to Management

Keep your staff happy :)

9. "Fast paced, never dull and great people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sheffield, England (UK)

I have been working at Plusnet full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Broad roles - lots to do and get involved in if you want to
    You can come up with better ways of doing things, improve systems and processes that impact the wider business
    Great benefits - Free broadband, TV etc, free lunch, flexible Perks options - buy now pay off over the year on things like TV, Phones, Laptops & holidays

Cons

Plusnet might not be suitable for someone who can't adapt to fast paced changes and a fast paced working environment.

Advice to Management

Keep on listening to what your employees want via the feedback surveys

10. "poor management"

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Sheffield, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Sheffield, England (UK)

I have been working at Plusnet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

friendly mates
    some team leaders are very cooperative

Cons

poor upper management
    chaos in the call center
    call center stinks like hell and is not clean at all

11. "The people are great!"

I have been working at Plusnet full-time

Pros

Opportunity for personal career growth
    Be part of a driven and ambitious successful company
    It REALLY CARES about it's staff and customers
    You are encouraged to and can change things that don't work

Cons

Organised chaos
    Unnerving if you don't like change - there is a lot of it but mainly positive!