Portfolio Solutions Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.5
Jeffrey Tosello

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Positive Environment and Workplace"

Current Employee - Lease Administrator in Oak Brook, IL
    Current Employee - Lease Administrator in Oak Brook, IL

I have been working at Portfolio Solutions Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have been with the Company for 10 years and in that time I have had the opportunity to grow in my responsibilities, and in my contribution to the team. I started at an entry level position, and after my training period and a few years of experience, I was able to take on more challenging work which led to account management opportunities. The Owners have an open door policy and we have 2 performance reviews every year with bonus opportunities. The work is steady, the workplace is friendly and the owners are helpful and helpful.

Cons

No doubt about it, this job requires attention to detail. I have seen co-workers who try to hide from the work, and they are the ones who are posting on here that its bad management. The reality is that if you don't like paperwork and abstracting, then this is not the job for you.

2. "Adminstor"

Pros

Some of the people who I work with. They were cool about leaving early on Fridays.

Cons

Horrible horrible management!!! Very in professional! Dis organized. Rude as hell! Not helpful and they talk to u like are stupid. The pay is Really really bad! They are so cheap! They make u work like slaves! Never ever work for the company it's a revolving door big time! Get out while u can! Don't trust anyone there they are also back stabbing mean people! U will be miserable there! I can't even tell u how happy and better off I am with out that horrible place!

Advice to Management

Have some respect for others! Think before u talk! Be nice to other people. Most of you guys shouldn't even be in management! Pathetic!

"Account manager"

Pros

None management sucks and you here how the owners fight every day

Cons

The term "competitive pay" will be said to you over and over... don't be fooled, this means you will be paid less than ALL of the other competitors for the same level and type of work. The management style is hostile and manipulative... your incentive to "do a good job" is to "keep your job." You will be required to take responsibility for all aspects of problems that arise when you actually, in reality, have no control over the situation that was caused by someone else or an inefficient process. I was called "professionally immature" for not taking total responsibility for an issue that occurred in an entirely separate department. There is a "push" to get accounts set up as quickly as possible regardless of correctness or "as long as it's good enough" to ensure the company makes money and then other departments have to spend time cleaning everything up.

It's important to know that you do not want to be salaried at this company. I have seen people have nervous breakdowns, cry at their desks, and even be psychologically and verbally attacked by managers for things are really quite minor, including - but not limited to - not answering every email instantaneously, not answering every phone call on the first ring, not staying late, babysitting coworkers to ensure completion of tasks, and on, and on, and on.

The company specializes in micro-management and they hire people into management positions who know how to manipulate and micromanage employees. They will track everything you do... your unread/read email ratio, your incoming/outgoing phone call ratio, number of invoices you process in an hour, getting your coworkers to watch your every action, etc. and then use that tracking to rate your performance for raises and company acknowledgment. There are many employees who openly talk about having drinking problems when they go home, drinking at lunch, taking up smoking, and becoming physically sick because of the stress.

Advice to Management

Go to management classes or bring in outside consultant to assist with process

4. "Lease Administrator"

Pros

Flexible with time off if you have accrued the days.

Cons

Management, management, management!!!! It's a joke all around. They tell you one thing and do another. Very negative atmosphere. Everyone sits on top of one another. They micro-manage to the fullest and don't let you shine. Stay away!!!!

5. "Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

Pros

Comments on this site are misguided...I started with little experience but advanced quickly. Management was very specific and supportive of my goals in ways I never saw with past employers. I never experienced or saw anything that could have been considered abusive or berating. Open door policy is a plus.

Cons

Nothing comes to mind. It's still work?

6. "accounting coordinator"

Current Employee - Accounting Coordinator/Office Administrator in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Accounting Coordinator/Office Administrator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Portfolio Solutions Group (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great work place, great supervisor.

Cons

Wage and employee turn around

7. "Loved my peers, but upper-level management was a joke"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Portfolio Solutions Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great hardworking peers that put forth tremendous effort and customer service to get their jobs done.

Cons

Ah where to start.. this seemed to be so long ago but yet it was not!

When the managing partner/owner Jeff T berates you and swears up and down all day long without any sense of professionalism to his peers, it's a red flag as it is. I took pride in working at their place of employment because of the mid-level management and peers around me. But the upper level of management (the main 3) are a complete joke and wouldn't advise anyone to work there. The turnover is high due to the lack of morale. The first few months will be bearable and even at times enjoyable, but once you stay past the 3-4 month mark, you will be guaranteed to see how they manipulate you as well as others. It's sad to say because the peers there were truly hardworking, not to mention everyone did their best to enjoy their jobs. They value quantity over quality, and definitely show no character within their means.

The peers here really make the upper-level management their money, without them, this company wouldn't even exist. Upper-level management fails to realize that the peers in fact do make their paychecks and do in fact work hard. Respect is earned, but they seemed to have forgotten that!

The apple doesn't fall from the tree. Quality works there, joke of an upper-level management for sure.

Advice to Management

Grow up

"Poor Management"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Oak Brook, IL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Oak Brook, IL

I worked at Portfolio Solutions Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers who have a passion for what they do. Early off on Fridays.

Cons

Owners are aware of major problems within management, yet consistently turn a blind eye to the issues at hand.

Advice to Management

Ignoring the problem is only going to make it harder to fix in the end. The company will also be at higher risk of losing valuable employees due to management and ownership's careless attitude.

"Portfolio Coordinator"

I worked at Portfolio Solutions Group full-time

Pros

The work is fairly easy once you get a grasp on what to do. Individually staff are nice people and enjoy small office parties. You can leave early on Fridays.

Cons

Its a small office owner allows staff to be verbally abused by management which is very awkward with people working such close quarters together. No room for growth. Compensation is not based on experience or education level you just get whatever they are willing to pay at the moment. Owners are nice but this company comes across as a pet project and if it fails they will just move on without concern for their employees.

Advice to Management

There is never a reason to be verbally abusive to your staff.

10. "Co-workers are amazing, hard workers, but all upper management is terrible."

I worked at Portfolio Solutions Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The time-off policies
    The work keeps on your toes

Cons

employees not recognized for hard work
    limited room for growth