Protocol Education Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Stephen Lawrence

1. "Decent part-time work"

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Protocol Education part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

HQ very friendly, made to feel welcome during interview process. Very good info pack outlining everything you need to know.

Cons

You need to build up a good relationship with the person in charge of your 'zone' to get steady work - not always guaranteed and definitely tricky in the first month.

2. "Lots of work, but they take a big cut"

Current Employee - Teacher in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Teacher in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Protocol Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Always work available, very rarely have not been found work.
    -Can choose when you want to work.
    -Can say no to a particular school, if you don't like it.
    -Always lots of option for long term or day to day supply.

Cons

Having looked at other agencies online, I realise that the daily rate in some cases is much lower.
    Over a year the equivalent salary is pittance compared to permanent teaching staff (even if you're working every school day)

Advice to Management

Reduce the cut taken from teachers.

3. "Good agency."

Pros

Flexible working with friendly consultants.

Cons

Work not always as consistent as you might like.

"Poor Commission Structure. Micro Managed Environment"

Former Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Protocol Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Colleagues
    Work in shifts
    Reduced Holiday Hours
    Can play music
    Quizzes
    Good start for trainees, CPD good

Cons

Diabolical commission structure (Recently removed 5k weekly GP threshold to earn any commission)
    Commission starts at 2.5%...
    Commission capped
    Micro managed environment for consultants
    Safe if face fits, cult like

Advice to Management

Top billers don't necessarily make good managers
    Look at commission structures and what other companies offer
    Staff turnover high due to these
    Have more faith in consultants

6. "Complete waste of time, DO NOT GET INVOLVED WITH THEM!!!!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Uxbridge, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Uxbridge, England (UK)

Pros

The only positive thing is they are polite over the phone and during the recruitment process, but they never mean what they say and never hold up to their promises. Useless.

Cons

Lack of communication and massively incompetent staff that politely nod their heads and agree with everything you say and then blatantly ignore it and pretend it never happened. To them, you are not an individual with a life beyond their agency – they are only interested in filling their bookings and call you whenever they need someone for a booking, regardless of your availability or preferences.

After several weeks of getting up at 6.30 to wait for their call and not getting it, I called them up and was told that the contact number they have for me seems wrong, even though they had called me ON THE SAME NUMBER before, and I had called them from it as well. The next few weeks they kept calling me on the days that I wasn’t available, and never on the days that I was, despite me confirming my availability AT LEAST 3 TIMES and being told every time that there has been a mistake and they will update it right away.

At this point I decided that I didn’t want to work with them anymore and suspended my online account. I also called in to say that I have found another job and will not be available for work anymore. This happened six weeks ago, Protocol STILL CALL ME AT LEAST ONCE A WEEK, and despite me having said twice more that I am not going to work with them, they keep calling and texting me. Unbelievably unprofessional.

(I am talking about the Uxbridge branch)

7. "Stuck in the 90s"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Protocol Education full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good location TCR
    The odd free lunch
    People seem approachable
    Reduced working hours in the summer
    Casual dress in the summer

Cons

Well as per the title, the 90s may be back but Protocol never left. They need to embrace change and restructure if it's to survive in the millennial age.

Advice to Management

Look at talent accusation, if you are going to pay low wages for London, then you are not going to attract the best talent. This is going to lead you to employ those without the required skill set, who are not going move the business forward and drive growth.

8. "Don't do it!"

Pros

Good team (other than management), nice office environment, shorter working hours during school holidays

Cons

Awful management team who show no concern over their team's welfare. If your face doesn't fit, you're out. Poor commission scheme. Stressful and negative working environment. Spoken to like a child on a daily basis. You will have no autonomy and find yourself 'going through the motions' to keep your manager off your back. No work/life balance. Blame culture with managers blaming others to cover their own backs. Don't trust anyone!

Advice to Management

Put more trust in your experienced consultants. Show a little more empathy and recognise the hard work your consultants put in day in, day out. A little praise and less criticism goes a long way.

9. "Great for your trainees as an introduction to recruitment."

Pros

Fantastic colleagues and training. The company induction and sales training were faultless.
    Good foot in the door to recruitment.

Cons

Work life balance (12+ hour days), little support from HQ.
    You are safe if your face fits.
    Commission structure poor, especially if looking to progress into Management.
    No interest in staff engagement and staff have no confidence speaking honestly to Senior Leadership.

Advice to Management

Promote fairly and consistently. Better training for consultant to management transitions if still managing a desk. Top billers don't always make the best Managers.
    A greater focus on staff engagement and well being vital. The senior leadership possess a scary and extremely unprofessional view that showing emotion or asking for support is 'weak' - perhaps if were more open minded, supportive and took an interest in people's well being they would retain experienced staff members.

10. "Teaching Assistant"

I have been working at Protocol Education full-time

Pros

Constant work flow during term times, friendly consultants, good software to manage my bookings

Cons

Even though I was promised work during summer I was almost always at home, and they would tell me that if something comes in I'll get it straight away, so I spent summer days waking up early waiting for the call that hardly ever came. Couldn't plan anything else.
    They also don't respect your preferences. I noted I don't want to work in behaviour management and was sent twice to do that without telling me what I'll be doing.

11. "Positive with a few negatives"

Current Employee - Trainee Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Trainee Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Protocol Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great environment and people
    Lots of fun
    Lots of training and support
    You feel welcomed
    Great incentives and nights out
    Fast paced environment

Cons

Higher pay and Commission structure is not the best. Increasing the commission structure would make a big difference and consultants wouldn't want to look for somewhere else

Advice to Management

Change commission structure. 5% is not good!