Qualys Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

Qualys Chairman and CEO Philippe Courtot
Philippe Courtot

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Qualys helps foster a work-life balance/fitness (in 8 reviews)

• Awesome benefits, Exposure to cutting edge technologies (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • REALLY needs a 401k match to be more competitive for talent (in 11 reviews)

• Also, pay is not that great and no flexibility to work from home even if you're exceeding goal (in 3 reviews)

"An awesome company that will provide you with plenty of fascinating challenges and opportunities"

Former Employee - Director of Engineering in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Director of Engineering in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Qualys full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I was at Qualys for 7 years so I have a pretty good idea of where the company came from and where it is headed. I was there pre-IPO and I have seen its evolution from a small-size startup company to a mature international industry leader.

Qualys is a company that focuses on its products first. It took a huge bet on Cloud Security before it was even a thing and was able to take a huge lead on its competitors. This resulted in the company creating an amazing cloud-first architecture that was able to scale up to millions of scans per day with almost no false positive. It also allowed the company to secure early on a wide variety of customers, from the most prestigious Fortune-100s banks to smaller companies that wanted to secure their networks. With the years, the company's success kept being reflected by its steady and consistent growth, its financial security, and its continuous investment in expanding to new services and products while keeping a huge focus on product quality.

I am from Engineering and over 7 years evolved from being a Software Engineer to a Director of Engineering. Every single time I have suggested new ideas or shown a desire to implement new ways to improve the architecture, I was greeted with enthusiasm and freedom to do so by my peers and managers. Showing initiative has always paid off, and I was always credited with the extra work that I provided. This was always done with the product in mind, and there were plenty of other people around me who were rewarded for their hard work. The architecture came with plenty of fascinating technical challenges: we migrated the entire front-end stack from ExtJS to ReactJS, using the latest tech such as ES6 (w/babel) or webpack. The backend is currently evolving from a monolith to a micro-services architecture that relies on an amazing stack (Kafka for messenging, Cassandra/ElasticSearch for non-SQL storage, Redis, etc.) allowing the new services to scale autonomously. This transition has been extremely complex and has been very challenging from all sides. It has required a transformation of the ops team, the devops team and the engineering team. All of this is done amongst very bright engineers who are driven by the passion to produce good code and great products. Engineering-wise, I can promise you that Qualys will provide you with the best opportunity for growth and challenges, while keeping the flexibility of a startup.

Benefits-wise, Qualys has come a long way over the years to match some of the best tech companies out there: really good pay and year bumps, company-wise bonuses, RSUs with stocks whose value has doubled over the past 15 months, 401K matching, and the most amazing health benefits (for reference, I am going to pay 3 times that amount for the same coverage at Google)

Overall, Qualys is an amazing company to work for, and I have learned and grown so much throughout the years that I have spent there. The direction it is currently taking, with a high investment in a new cutting-edge architecture, mingled with its current position in the market will make the company the leader in the security business. As more and more people are moving to the Cloud, I believe that Qualys will dominate the market in the years to come.

Cons

With so many products and moving parts, it's easy to feel overwhelmed and lose vision of the big picture.

Advice to Management

Reinforce the product team, don't hesitate to over-communicate repeatedly the global vision and position of Qualys in the market.

"Great technology and environment where you can learn and thrive"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Qualys full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

This company is going places and always innovating. I worked here 10+ years and I am still here because everyday I am challenged and I get to do new things and learn more. The company doesn't allow mediocrity and expects their employees to deliver results. Good communications from upper management about vision of the company. We are all aligned os same vision and what to deliver.

Cons

office space is becoming tight but we are moving to new awesome space in Sept.

Advice to Management

More team building activities and more communications.

"Bad Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Qualys full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Other than health insurance, there is nothing.

Cons

They ill treat people. Management is heavy and a lot of CYA mentality amongst middle managers. They pose as they know everything but mostly are clueless. A lot of good engineering folks have left or more on the way out. They just wait for some of the stocks to vest.

Advice to Management

Respect your engineers and take care of them and objectively see what the managers are doing and not fooling you.

"You're a really sad person"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Qualys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A few brilliant people stuck around

Cons

Everything. Place will fall to pieces.

Advice to Management

Retire and sell the Company to InfoSys for 10 dollars

"Look elsewhere if you have any self respect"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Qualys full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good healthcare coverage. Good location on the peninsula though traffic on 101 can be very heavy. It's hard to think about any other pros.

Cons

It'll be a serious challenge to find worse management or culture. Work life balance, flexible working or appreciation of human capital are non existent. Reputation company developed itself on the peninsula over the years is very accurate. Salaries are cut, promotions are delayed as company seems to save every cent. Turnaround of employees is uncomfortably high. Hats off to staying afloat.

"The plane is spiraling down"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Qualys full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome benefits, Exposure to cutting edge technologies. Opportunities to make a positive difference in the company due to the relatively small size

Cons

Very obviously transitioning company to all but customer facing roles being based in India. Company seems oblivious that their competition is gobbling up their customers. Company has a toxic reputation in the valley, tell other folks where you work and they laugh or ask why your still there...

Advice to Management

Stop, focus on your employees and try and address extremely high attrition rate. As other said ignore the paper towels on the floor...

"Hats off ( please read on )"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Qualys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent product, customer base, respected in the market, good health insurance, good business

Cons

Hats off to this company. It is located in Silicon Valley, where technical talents is in great demand and this company has been able to pull off decent business success despite have an awesomely bad work culture and management and an extremely high attrition rate. That's gotta be an achievement. While other companies try to treat employees with respect and create a good work culture to retain and attract talent, this company has gone the direct opposite route. It treats employees with zero respect and make no effort to create good work culture. In fact senior management goes out of its way to create a miserable and demeaning culture. Yet they have not imploded completely. That's gotta be an achievement. As others have pointed out, public shaming of employees is something unique in this company. You could be delivering a presentation in front of the entire company and if the CEO is in audience and doesn't like something like the font on your slides, he could fire you on the spot. Anybody who directly interacts with the top management is constantly living under the fear of getting fired. So my fellow engineering management, marketing, product management, sales management folks, you have been warned. Do yourself a favor and look elsewhere. There is no fun working here.

Advice to Management

Stop focusing on napkins lying on the bathroom floors ( insiders know what I mean )...cause once is a while a couple are gonna escape the trash can.

"Software QA engineer"

Current Employee - Software QA Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Software QA Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Qualys (More than a year)

Pros

There is lot of learning curve & product is very stable. Team is cool. This is good place to work.

Cons

Nothing much to say. They should provide ESPP option for employees, that's a good benefit for them. They could offer some lunches / snack for employees.

Advice to Management

N/A

"Qualys: The opportunity to build"

Pros

Now, more than ever, is an amazing time to be part of the Qualys team. The management team truly recognizes the opportunity and benefits of investing in continued growth of the business and their teams.

Employees are empowered with a strong sense of direction and purpose. Daily, it feels like the processes and systems we are creating, are the building blocks of a strong, scalable business.

With a flexible, platform approach, and a competent management team, Qualys is extremely well positioned in an explosive market space.

Cons

None identified at this time.

"Look elswhere"

I worked at Qualys full-time

Pros

Qualys is great, in a steady, post office way.

Cons

Qualys is great as long as you want to be treated like a native and management is like colonial England!