Qualys Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Qualys Chairman and CEO Philippe Courtot
Philippe Courtot

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great work-life balance for anyone" (in 11 reviews)

• "We work on cutting edge technology and have a zero tolerance to underperformance as it puts the brand at risk and large organisations count on us" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Need to learn from competitors where they hire from about work life balance policies" (in 7 reviews)

• "Also, pay is not that great and no flexibility to work from home even if you're exceeding goal" (in 4 reviews)

"Best Company to work for"

Current Employee - QA Manager in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - QA Manager in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Qualys full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent Managers, best product, lots of scopes to learn and grow

Cons

No Work from Home Policy

"Industry-leading product. Great people. Questionable policies."

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Redwood Shores, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Redwood Shores, CA

I worked at Qualys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The product is great. There's no doubt about that.
    The people at the company are good from the bottom up. The company runs very lean, so heavy work loads and hard work is a given and you might feel as though you're working at a tiny start-up at times.

Cons

The typical Silicon Valley perks (such as a stocked kitchen, free or subsidized lunches, time off, work from home, 401k match, etc) are entirely shirked. This, along with a heavy work load and below-average salary, leads to very high turnover/employee churn which surely hurts the company as they are constantly looking for new talent at a time when hiring has never been more competitive. Since the recruiting budget is tight, managers are leaned on to hire and they are further inundated with work.

Advice to Management

Add some perks. Watch turnover plummet. Enjoy increased productivity. Then add more perks.

"Complete lack of self-awareness."

Former Employee - Security Analyst in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Security Analyst in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Qualys full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Many learning opportunities if you can keep your head down
    Decent health and dental plans

Cons

Sterile culture
    Adversarial work environment
    No technical leadership
    Employee time is not valued
    Novelty is valued over tried-and true experience

Advice to Management

Managers are supposed to clear roadblocks, not create them.

Experienced employees have left in droves because you don't compensate them well and you don't listen to their advice.

Stop releasing things before they are done. Stop making promises you can't keep. Your SDLC is absurdly unreasonable and immature.

You have mountains of technical debt. The interest on that debt is eclipsing everything else that matters.

Learn how to say "no" to unicorn customers. Not every sales deal is a good one. The quarterly earnings call is not the be-all, end-all of existence.

Pick a standard deployment and stick with it.

Stop asking your employees to attend off-hours meetings.

The culture at Qualys is offensive even to those who desire a challenge. A shiny new HQ is a poor facade for employee well-being.

"So So"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Qualys part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good, fast paced company in the valley. Good products and good market position.

Cons

Not a lot of collaboration among different teams. It seems that groups thrive on conflict.

Advice to Management

None. Doubt it matters.

"I agree with many of the negative reviews about Qualys :("

Former Employee - Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Qualys full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked for Qualys for many years before abruptly leaving after I could no longer handle the stress fostered by poor senior management decisions, lazily thought out technical decisions, and the abundance of the half-baked "proof of concept" features inevitably being forced into production.

That said, in the beginning things were great. When I started with Qualys there was a great sense of opportunity and excitement about new products. My managers were some of the best that I ever worked with and seemed very concerned with my growth and morale. I always felt appreciated for my contributions and was offered great incentives to continue performing at a high level. I was with the company during the IPO and received great options, and was, like many others, focused on doing the best I could to help the company grow and keep the stock price on the uptrend.

This is when I started seeing things change for the worse.

Cons

Slowly, after the IPO, the culture shifted to one where the only thing that mattered was delivery dates and getting fragile, hacked-together code out the door. Technical debt began to accumulate at a ridiculous rate. Those aforementioned managers that I enjoyed working with started leaving and were replaced with much less experienced and less capable people. Regular 45-50 hour weeks gradually increased to 70+, with people reaching out at all hours. In the end, I felt like my job was to put out fires rather than to proactively do any meaningful work. There was no change in sight and morale was at an all-time low. It was truly sad to see a company I loved working for change into a place I dreaded working.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees and work to build in a healthy work-life balance. Use metrics other than the current stock price to guide your company. The current management style (I think others mentioned "slave-driving") is not sustainable, nor is maintaining unrealistic timelines which force shortcuts to get products out the door, only to come back as huge pain points later in production. There are other companies in this business who do a much better job at all of this, and while they may not be a threat to you now, they will undoubtedly be in the future.

"Great Company to work for!!"

I have been working at Qualys full-time

Pros

Exciting work, great people, fast growing company, huge opportunity ahead!!

Cons

Travel policies can be more employee friendly

"Finance dept in shock"

I worked at Qualys full-time

Pros

Some very nice co-workers who really care about their work

Cons

It feels as if the plane is spiralling down, and now finance jobs are slowly moving to India. Current employees should stay alert, and ask yourself if you are only being kept to download your knowledge to India. If you are interviewing for a position now, make sure you ask if this is just to fill transition and then get lay off at end of the year.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing because only desperate people will take a job with you

"Anonymous"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

I worked at Qualys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great Benefits
    -Great stock (If you last long enough for it to vest)
    -Good Technology
    -You'll learn a lot about the industry

Cons

-TOXIC, TYRANT of a CEO - horrible person
    -If you want to stay at the company just shake your head in agreement or you'll be fired
    -If you're a manager Phillipe will find a way to justify that your lacking in your job to fire you before your stocks are vested (cheap, cheap, cheap)
    -Paying his employees more is "The cancer of the silicon valley" (direct quote)
    -Company only values technical people

Advice to Management

Adopt a better culture so you're employees are not miserable, devalued, and underpaid

"Technical Account Manager"

Current Employee - Technical Account Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Qualys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great technology! The product is a great product that keeps growing, so its a great company thats consistently growing their product.

Cons

Not the strongest management. You wont get training and there aren't many technical resources available at your disposal.

"These aren't the jobs you're looking for"

I have been working at Qualys full-time

Pros

Unlike some of the planted reviews your seeing here, this one is objective and candid.
    The medical benefits here are really hard to beat. The company's product line is selling well and the company is growing as is the stock price lately. But the desire to keep costs down persists, so the effort to keep the machine going is manual, and will take up lots of your time, all the time.
    Many of the people in finance and sales departments are driven and hard-working, and will make the time to assist eachother. The comradery here is sincere. IF systems are improved within the next year, the pace may scale better, and a more sensible work-life balance may finally happen. Too soon to tell.

Cons

The Exec Team has prided themselves on having built this company in the most frugal and margin-friendly ways possible. Now that it is growing its market share and customer base, that means all the existing systems and infrastructure aren't equipped to keep pace. What does that mean for you as you consider a job here in Finance? It means you might be working 60 hour weeks regularly, and then more at qtr ends just to keep on top of your workload. Staff turnover hasn't really helped that situation. If you're okay with putting your family and personal life in the backseat a while, you might earn some respect and reward. If not, you're considered a slacker, and may be asked to move along. The choice is yours.

Advice to Management

Invest more money in system experts and expect them to be in place a while to fix all the inefficiencies that should have been addressed years ago. Employee turnover might lessen, and people could do more analytical work, instead of constantly devising adhoc spreadsheet solutions to make up for the lack of systemized processes. The results could be worth the investment.