Qualys Reviews | Glassdoor

Qualys Chairman and CEO Philippe Courtot
Philippe Courtot

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • They told us we provide work from home (in 3 reviews)

• No free lunches in Accounting during month/quarter end close (in 3 reviews)

"Great company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Qualys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The current management is taking Qualys to the place where it deserves to be! Just look at the stock price in the last year! Some of the other reviews mention Finance as a bad department...here's the real scoop...the current CFO came in a few years ago and has been implementing processes and setting expectations appropriate for a world-class, public company. Some people don't like or meet those standards and they either leave or get asked to leave. If you want to work for a world-class company in a growth mode that will ask you to work hard and where you still get life balance and AMAZING benefits...then you'll love it here!

Cons

My only wish is that employees accrued more vacation, but the other benefits are so generous that it is difficult to complain.

Advice to Management

Give an extra day a year of vacation after 2 years?

"Great Accounting and Finance Department"

Former Employee - Ap Accountant in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Ap Accountant in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Qualys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work-life balance for anyone. Especially for me since I commuted over an hour, but it was all worth it. I was never stressed at work. My department was very organized and I never had to work overtime, or bring work home. Upper management was sad to see me leave.
    Friendly Culture
    Diverse
    AWESOME Benefits!!!
    CFO showed interest about my career growth

Cons

No free lunches in Accounting during month/quarter end close.

"The perfect place to launch your career in security"

Former Employee - Director of Sales
    Former Employee - Director of Sales

I worked at Qualys full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Philippe Courtot is a man on a mission. Seeing the company grow over the past 5 years has been an amazing experience. The Qualys Platform without a doubt is one of the strongest platforms in the security space. There is no question that Philippe and his team have the vision and the goods to go with it.
    -Internal emails from the executives state that we must continue to "ensure that we do not lose the perspective that it is by caring about the success of our customers, rather than focusing on taking money from them, that we build a sustainable and profitable business that is based on trust."
    -Moving to a newer, larger office as we have outgrown current office
    -Prod Mgmt, Sales, Engineering, Finance team have motivated people that want to be challenged and love to win
    -People who are motivated, disciplined, and coachable will be promoted
    -401k match, Shares, achievable sales targets

Cons

Cons mentioned in other reviews have been remediated. Growing pains have been there but it all comes with the territory of working for an industry leader.

Advice to Management

Continue to deliver groundbreaking cloud apps within the Platform, continue speaking to customers, continue building awareness of the platform

"Dont' Accept a Position at this company"

I worked at Qualys full-time

Pros

Growing company and has decent benefits.

Cons

Management has no clue how to get employees to stay. If you ask any one that works there they have been working at the company less that 3 years. The writing is on the wall and if you accept a position you will be looking for a new job after two years. Find a position with management that knows about managing and caring about its people. You will be much happier!

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect and they will respect you!

"finance dept is a sweat shop"

Former Employee - Finance in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Finance in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Qualys full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

you get to work a lot

Cons

they want to run the finance dept as a sweat shop , so two yr is the max ppl stay . no moving up as its a lean team so they can pay themselves $$

"Director of Product Management"

Pros

Great Team to work with

Cons

None that I can think of

"Very Toxic Culture"

I worked at Qualys full-time

Pros

Nothing really in non-engineering department; not sure about engineering departments

Cons

- No culture here; long hour with micro managing managers
    - Low compensation package compared to competitors
    - Only lunch option is Specialty and food trucks on Wednesday; no dinner option
    - Not much opportunity to grow
    - People get fired everywhere with no respect

Advice to Management

Respect your employees

"Account Manager"

Pros

Good product and good brand. Good teammates to help you out, culture is improving.

Cons

If you do not achieve your objective, they all micro manage you.

Advice to Management

Keep seeing how you can motivate and improve the culture.

"An awesome company that will provide you with plenty of fascinating challenges and opportunities"

Former Employee - Director of Engineering in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Director of Engineering in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Qualys full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I was at Qualys for 7 years so I have a pretty good idea of where the company came from and where it is headed. I was there pre-IPO and I have seen its evolution from a small-size startup company to a mature international industry leader.

Qualys is a company that focuses on its products first. It took a huge bet on Cloud Security before it was even a thing and was able to take a huge lead on its competitors. This resulted in the company creating an amazing cloud-first architecture that was able to scale up to millions of scans per day with almost no false positive. It also allowed the company to secure early on a wide variety of customers, from the most prestigious Fortune-100s banks to smaller companies that wanted to secure their networks. With the years, the company's success kept being reflected by its steady and consistent growth, its financial security, and its continuous investment in expanding to new services and products while keeping a huge focus on product quality.

I am from Engineering and over 7 years evolved from being a Software Engineer to a Director of Engineering. Every single time I have suggested new ideas or shown a desire to implement new ways to improve the architecture, I was greeted with enthusiasm and freedom to do so by my peers and managers. Showing initiative has always paid off, and I was always credited with the extra work that I provided. This was always done with the product in mind, and there were plenty of other people around me who were rewarded for their hard work. The architecture came with plenty of fascinating technical challenges: we migrated the entire front-end stack from ExtJS to ReactJS, using the latest tech such as ES6 (w/babel) or webpack. The backend is currently evolving from a monolith to a micro-services architecture that relies on an amazing stack (Kafka for messenging, Cassandra/ElasticSearch for non-SQL storage, Redis, etc.) allowing the new services to scale autonomously. This transition has been extremely complex and has been very challenging from all sides. It has required a transformation of the ops team, the devops team and the engineering team. All of this is done amongst very bright engineers who are driven by the passion to produce good code and great products. Engineering-wise, I can promise you that Qualys will provide you with the best opportunity for growth and challenges, while keeping the flexibility of a startup.

Benefits-wise, Qualys has come a long way over the years to match some of the best tech companies out there: really good pay and year bumps, company-wise bonuses, RSUs with stocks whose value has doubled over the past 15 months, 401K matching, and the most amazing health benefits (for reference, I am going to pay 3 times that amount for the same coverage at Google)

Overall, Qualys is an amazing company to work for, and I have learned and grown so much throughout the years that I have spent there. The direction it is currently taking, with a high investment in a new cutting-edge architecture, mingled with its current position in the market will make the company the leader in the security business. As more and more people are moving to the Cloud, I believe that Qualys will dominate the market in the years to come.

Cons

With so many products and moving parts, it's easy to feel overwhelmed and lose vision of the big picture.

Advice to Management

Reinforce the product team, don't hesitate to over-communicate repeatedly the global vision and position of Qualys in the market.

"Great technology and environment where you can learn and thrive"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Qualys full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

This company is going places and always innovating. I worked here 10+ years and I am still here because everyday I am challenged and I get to do new things and learn more. The company doesn't allow mediocrity and expects their employees to deliver results. Good communications from upper management about vision of the company. We are all aligned os same vision and what to deliver.

Cons

office space is becoming tight but we are moving to new awesome space in Sept.

Advice to Management

More team building activities and more communications.