RNIB Reviews | Glassdoor

Sally Harvey

1. "Volunter"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at RNIB (More than a year)

Pros

Nice place to work , great atmosphere , friendly staff

Cons

They do not pay well , no holidays

Advice to Management

nothing , just want to say that pay well as compare to other companies

2. "A good experience overall but with a few concerns"

I worked at RNIB part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked at RNIB for many years in both a full and part-time capacity. The organisation does some great work delivering advice services, resource centres, a membership network and campaigning to improve the lives of blind and partially sighted people. I appreciated management's flexibility in allowing me to change my working hours when my personal situation changed during the course of my employment. RNIB also offers good opportunities for internal training and professional development.

Cons

Minor problems that exist in many big charities: Decision making too focused on head office in London. IT infrastructure somewhat dated and could definitely be improved. Insufficient focus on joining up databases and improving staff use of CRM systems. Certain departments left in restructure limbo for longer than necessary. Not enough jobs given to blind and partially sighted people. A poorly run B2B "Solutions" Department that urgently needs to be restructured or scrapped. Too many people in "interim" roles in senior leadership positions. (RNIB is about to enter into a major restructure that will hopefully resolve some, if not all, of these concerns).

Advice to Management

Consider placing more national roles and teams in the larger RNIB regional offices. There is plenty of talent in the regions that could take on such responsibilities at a lower cost than employees in London. Redouble efforts to employ more blind and partially sighted people. Make sure to listen to staff views offered in restructure consultations, and to actually revise the approach taken in line with feedback.

3. "Sad to be Leaving"

Current Employee - Team Administrator in Redhill, South East England, England (UK)

Pros

Loved the people, the residents and staff alike. Only leaving because a job presented itself in my chosen career and my current role wouldn't allow for this opportunity

Cons

Not very organised sometimes, not great communication (but this is being improved upon)

Advice to Management

Take some valuable time to recharge your batteries, and don't make life all about work. My management team do a great job under a lot of constraints, so carry on as you are but remember you have a life !

5. "Important cause - could treat staff better"

I have been working at RNIB full-time

Pros

Carrying out some very important work, which is much needed to support blind and partially sighted people, especially given current service cuts. Provides good training to staff.

Cons

Poor organisational communication. Payment of wages is unreliable. No paid sick leave until you've passed your probation period - not great for an organisation that supports people with health conditions. (Luckily I avoided catching the Norovirus that was going around, otherwise I might not have been able to pay my rent!)

6. "Managing Editor - Group Media"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Pros

Ability to utilise skill base in the knowledge that many many others will benefit through effort.

Cons

Currently out of touch with a lot of the "real world" This is being addressed

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to make bold decisions and/or listen to those who are well qualified to comment/influence in their line of expertise. You are where you are because someone listened to yo and to an extent took a leap of faith.
    Do more leaping!!!

7. "Carer"

Former Employee - Carer in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Carer in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I worked at RNIB full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Purpose made care home, everything in place, good team work for a long time.

Cons

Too many agency, no team work anymore

Advice to Management

Treat good staff well

8. "Subtle Racism"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coventry, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coventry, England (UK)

I worked at RNIB full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The overall service give to the young people is good.

Cons

There is subtle racism within the work environment. Particular staff treat others differently and one feels not part of the team. When staff were conversing together, I would be there but overlooked as if the certain staff were 'looking through me'!!

Advice to Management

This issue needs to be sorted out otherwise the staff morale will be low the staff turnover will continue to be high.

RNIB Response

Oct 24, 2016 – Head of Children's health and Care Services

Thanks for sharing your review with us. While it’s good to see your positive feedback in the overall service we provide the young people we support, your feelings around racism, however subtle, are a ... More

9. "Continues to support in a challenging environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at RNIB (More than a year)

Pros

Trying to support blind and partially sighted people in a very competitive market

Cons

Been a lot of change which develops an uncertain place to work

Advice to Management

Look to collaborate with other organisations

"RNIB Business Solutions"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peterborough, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peterborough, England (UK)

I worked at RNIB full-time

Pros

This review relates solely to RNIB Business (known internally as Solutions)
    The organisation has a clear mission statement, "Making every day better for everyone affected by sight loss" underpinned by a set of values - Collaborative, Creative, Inclusive, Open - with a defined Group Strategy and 5 Year Plan 2014-2019.
    Opportunity to educate the business community on accessibility issues enabling their business to develop by removing barriers to pan-disability issues.
    Individual business units had committed, capable and knowledgeable staff with a desire to deliver the strategy and a willingness to overcome challenges.
    Flexible working.
    Generous holiday entitlement.

Cons

Poorly planned and executed induction to the organisation and the product/service portfolio.
    Inability to define and communicate strategic plan down to a business unit level.
    Lack of transparency, openness and empowerment with an over emphasis on verbal communication that can be disputed later.
    Collaborative working prevented.
    Sales targets poorly communicated and unachievable.
    Use and comprehensive reporting ability of the CRM system ignored.
    Management reports manipulated inflating achieved income figures creating future issues.
    Rudimentary KPIs demotivating staff.
    Appears to be a lack of cost control relating to capital assets and cost of sales.
    No rationale behind portfolio development and operational requirement.

Advice to Management

Management changes are required if you wish to adhere to your Values and provide a Collaborative, Creative, Inclusive and Open structure within Solutions that will be able to deliver on your Group Strategy and move from receiving an annual multi-million pound subsidy from the charity to a net contributor. It appears a lack of accurate reporting structures and governance enables a false impression of the current state and achievements of the department to be reported and a climate of fear and insular nature of the department prevents members of staff from raising any issues at a level able to address the issues.

"Great Atmosphere"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Pros

There is a very friendly and helpful atmosphere. there have been a number of changes over the last year but we have now reached a moment of stability and there is a feeling that we are now building on what we had. There is a will to change and take things ot the next level across the organization. So if you have fresh ideas and the drive to put them into practice this is a place where you can make your mark very quickly.
    Management gives us a good level of autonomy and are very supportive. I have the freedom to implement my ideas.
    My colleagues are amazing and we really have a great time,

Cons

Some systems and IT are a bit dated so some processes can be very manual. Change is under way but it's taking a bit of time.

Advice to Management

Invest on the right systems and equipment. It will be worth the while.