RT Logic Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
John Monahan

1. "Outstanding best employer ever !"

Former Employee - Engineering Services in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Engineering Services in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at RT Logic full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They treat every employee as an expert contributor and reward them well.

Cons

Could get too big for that small company feel.

2. "Don't judge a book by its cover"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at RT Logic full-time

Pros

Nice facility, (mostly) nice people.
    Good benefits

Cons

Lots of fluff in the workplace (free coffee, drinks, snacks, workout facilities, company-paid "business trips", etc.) is nothing more than a pretty cover on an ugly book
    Minimal work/life balance - the more hours you work, the more hours they expect you to work, with very little acknowledgement or appreciation (unless you are part of the Management "click")
    Projects are not process or quality driven, they are schedule driven and a satisfactory product is acceptable as long as it is out the door on time
    Being in a crisis control and reactionary mode is the standard, not the exception
    Rewards and acknowledgements are given over and over to those who are closest to Executive Management or are part of the Management "click"
    Great place to work until...you try to introduce new ideas, approaches, or efficiencies - then you're blacklisted as a "problem child"

Advice to Management

Align your organization to provide quality products and services to your customers. The general perspective of most of the “lower level” employees, is that decisions are made based on what the “upstairs” good ol' boy network wants, not on what’s best for the company, employees, products, or customers.
    Executive Managers need to be more engaged and visible to the masses. There is a clear and wide division between management and the rest of the team. You are viewed as being too good to engage and interact with the people working their butts off to generate the revenue that pads your wallets.
    Reevaluate the accepted poor behaviors of and the collateral damage caused by your “Cowboy” Managers. They should absolutely be empowered to get the job done, but should also set a standard in how to do so in a professional and respectful manner.

"No Management, Poor Quality"

I have been working at RT Logic full-time

Pros

Salary and benefits are good. Free coffee. Nice workout room.

Cons

No work-home life balance. Try and portray company as a small family friendly company, but that's so far from the truth.
    Very little engineering goes into projects.
    Focus is on getting a project out the door.
    QA is given lip service and paraded in front of customers, but really does nothing.

Advice to Management

You could start by getting some competent management. Managers should manage projects, not constantly focused on bringing in new business.

"Fun place to work with a talented group of folks but with some areas of improvement"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at RT Logic full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good respectable place to work that has grown from a start up into a player in the satellite communications market. Company culture is family oriented with perks that don't exist elsewhere (corporate outings, snacks, window offices, company picnics). The caliber of the engineers that one works with at RT Logic is very high, making the work experience fun and rewarding. Work culture is fast paced, encourages innovation, and is most rewarding for independent thinkers and motivated individuals.

Cons

Challenges exist for keeping what made RT Logic successful intact: talented people, innovation, quality, agility/responsiveness to customer needs, and customer service as it grows and transitions into a slower moving company with more processes and checks and balances.

Growth in the defense sector due to tighter congressional budgets has slowed leading to lower bookings and backlogs. There is a challenge to expand into new markets to maintain growth.

Benefits (profit sharing, health care...) are no longer as top notch as they once were, but is still competitive with other firms. I wouldn't rate this as a con, but it can be a negative indicator if the trend continues.

Management is not focused on employee career growth, there are no employee career growth programs. Because company is still relatively small, opportunities for lateral or upward movement occur infrequently.

5. "Learned a lot, appreciated the opportunity to work there and my work experience was enhanced."

Former Employee - Electronic Technician in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Electronic Technician in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at RT Logic full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It was a great experience working with the Integration Technicians, Parts Procurement, Shipping and the Engineering staff. Engineering was always helpful with a smile. Benefits are good and the pay was comparable to industry standard.

Cons

Chemistry between newer management and workers was a longer process than it should of been. Strides were made in bridging the gaps and the chemistry was coming around and for the most part it is a top notch team.

Advice to Management

Very little interaction with upper management to give an opinion. Production area became extremely compartmentalized, maybe a little too much.

"Used to be a good place to work"

I have been working at RT Logic full-time

Pros

Free coffee. Used to be a good place to work.

Cons

We have people called managers, but no one manages. Projects are a train wreck waiting to happen, with the strongest opinion in the team making decisions. A few of the senior engineers are qualified, but the majority are good at making themselves look good for others' accomplishments.

Advice to Management

Stop having HR write phony reviews on Glassdoor (those are not from real employees - HR was working overtime on Glassdoor in Feb 2014). Stop calling "managers" managers. They're really all business development. There is no attention paid to managing groups...it's a free-for-all. This is evidenced by the lack of discipline or process in daily execution of tasks. So little communication, so many variations on "standard" product! It's not that you can't afford to do things right (code reviews, anyone?), it's that you choose not to.

"A great place to work in my opinion, but not for those wanting a paycheck just for showing up."

Current Employee - Operations Support in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Operations Support in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at RT Logic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Autonomy and authority pushed down to the lowest level. I enjoy the freedom to make decisions and act on the best interests of the company. RT Logic rewards productivity and innovation very well with meaningful incentives. Flex hours, overtime pay for exempt employees, generous vacation time, and generous compensation.

Cons

The expectation is for every employee to be fully engaged. Not all people are wired to go the extra step. If the job is to do tasks A, B, and C, and that is all an employee does, they may not be happy at RT Logic. Those that look for D, E and F after completing A, B and C will do just fine!

Advice to Management

Communication is always the challenge to keeping employees engaged and pushing the company in the right direction. As part of a publicly traded company, I understand that some information must be held close, but the more employees know about the strategic and tactical decisions, the better they can support moving in that direction.

"RT Logic has been a great experience."

Current Employee - Support in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Support in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at RT Logic full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

RT Logic started as a small company and has succeeded in moving from a small company to a mid-sized company since I've been with them. For those willing to work hard there are definitely many opportunities to grow here. They pay overtime, which is great when you work a position that can require more than the usual 40 hours. Honestly, a lot of the poor reviews here saddens me. I don't know what their personal experiences were, but I can tell you that if you walk the halls there are a lot of smiling faces. The work can be challenging both from a personal and technical perspective, but the spot awards and quarterly bonuses are a really nice perk. The benefits are good and from my perspective even us support folks get treated with a lot of dignity. Something that I appreciate.

Cons

When companies grow there are always some growing pains and we are no exception. Being purchased by a larger corporate can bring about some fear and uncertainty, but that is nothing new in the industry. The new company has been very hands off in their approach to managing us and give our president a wide berth when it comes to how to run our division which has helped to alleviate a lot of my fears. Crunch time can be somewhat exhausting, but it makes it a lot easier when you get paid for all the hours you work (unlike a lot of defense contractors out there).

Advice to Management

Make sure to continue to show appreciation for your employees as you have always done and keep working to find that great balance between RT Logic culture and the needs of the larger corporate environment we now live in.

9. "Best Company In My Career"

I have been working at RT Logic full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Smart, humble people who work well with team members
    Customer-focused company and team members
    Strong leadership that has great experience and thinks strategically. They work very hard to make RT Logic a great place to work.
    Employees and their families are treated very well. It really does feel like a family (not just a buzz phrase)
    Challenging work - we get to build equipment that supports our space and airborne programs that protect our country and our soldiers.
    You won't find a better leader than John Monahan. The company has really advanced under his leadership.
    Great Benefits, free snacks and soft drinks, lots of lunches provided for various occasions.
    Fun family activities including a winter weekend at Snow Mountain Ranch free for the whole family, family picnics, Christmas and Thanksgiving celebrations.

Cons

This is the best company in my career - I honestly do not have a negative feeling towards RT Logic.
    Some of the negative comments on this board are surprising and I cannot help but wonder if they may not be from real RT Logic employees.

Advice to Management

You are leading well - keep up the good work.

10. "A great company -- been there 5+ years and never plan to leave"

I have been working at RT Logic full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

unique, empowering culture; challenging technical work; smart, dedicated co-workers; great compensation and benefits; dedicated leaders who care about the rt family and future of the company like no other organization I have ever been part of

Cons

small number of employees who have entitlement attitude and feel the need to complain instead of jumping in and fixing issues

Advice to Management

continue caring for the employees, their families, and customers. stay positive and continue preparing the company for the future