Rafter Reviews | Glassdoor

4.4
Sara Leoni

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Loved this company"

I worked at Rafter (More than 3 years)

Pros

Culture was great, the people I worked with were amazing. The exec team really cares about each of the employees' professional AND personal development.

Cons

Funding and lack of resources were always an issue. If it weren't for the fact that the company closed, I think I'd still be working here for a while.

2. "Director of Field Marketing"

Pros

Innovative, smart, talented people with a real drive to lower the cost of education.

Cons

There wasn't enough time to accomplish our mission before the company closed its doors.

3. "Customer Success Account Manager"

Pros

Forward thinking company with great goals

Cons

None, I loved working there

4. "Enjoy working for Rafter"

Pros

I really enjoy working with a team that isn't boxed in by what has been done in the past. They're constantly striving to improve processes and software to make it work better. The atmosphere feels laid back, however every cog has its place in helping to turn the wheel. Everyone works hard, and it shows. As long as you're willing to step up and adapt - its a great place and team to work with.

Cons

That being said, the work can be hard and very long. Being on a cycle of peaks can be draining. Long hours at the top of the peak, and then a very short turn around afterwards to catch breath.

Advice to Management

Continue to offer opportunities for people to show their mettle - but don't disregard those that are heads down getting work done as well. Other than that, the ship is steering in the right direction! Very proud to work there.

"Great place to work at if single"

Former Employee - Operations in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Operations in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Rafter full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture, great people, very nice office.

Cons

Long hours, sometimes if one doesn't work extra it is seen as not OK. But when work extra it is not oftentimes recognized. Company needs to allow for a better work and personal life balance.

Advice to Management

Keep and open mind. Other than that keep the company's path on the way that it is heading, great people great vision.

6. "Small group of talented, fun-loving, friends"

Pros

Rafter, so much so, reminds of me of a bunch of really smart friends building something cool. It's a fun environment where everyone is on the same page and really just working to build the business.

The culture is one where everyone has a lot of ownership and impact, but also support from everyone else. It's really a place where you can make a big difference, learn and grow your skill set, and still have a lot of fun.

Cons

Rafter definitely embraces the start-up culture. There's more figure it out as you go, than drawn-out processes and procedures. For some that may be a huge turn-off, but if that's your thing, you'll fit right in.

Rafter also doesn't seem like it will be a VC darling unicorn. It's a real business. If you look at startups like the lottery, looking for that next unicorn, probably not the best place either.

"Very Forward Thinking Company"

Current Employee - Manager in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Rafter full-time

Pros

Love working for Rafter. They are very open with what is happening, where they are going and try to involve employees in the company's future. The CEO wants to know what you think and asks all the time how are things going? Everyone working is all about asking questions, trying to find answers and solve issues as they come up.

Cons

I can't really think of any cons. Any company has issues but I feel Rafter deals with them head on and isn't afraid to ask questions and get feedback.

Advice to Management

I appreciate that management is open to suggestions, talks openly about positive and negative comments/happenings.

"Hard Working Fun Group"

Current Employee - Operations Specialist in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Specialist in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Rafter full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Rafter is a place where everyone is hardworking and moving towards the same goal. There's a plethora of smart talented people here that are friendly and willing to help you out. When it's work time we all dig into the trenches but when it's over we party like it's our last day. The environment is definitely cut throat but rewarding if you can hang in there.

Cons

Like most small startups you're required to wear multiple hats and learn things that you weren't hired for. Sometimes your position can change several times in a year depending on the needs of the company. This isn't really a con for the person that likes to take on new challenges quickly. For the type that likes to be told what to do and repeat the same task everyday this may be a problem.

Advice to Management

More transparency about financials and goals for the coming quarters/months. With changing goals roles/tasks may change so it would be good to outline better who does what so you can better focus and be prepared for the coming change.

"Great place to grow"

Current Employee - Operations in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Operations in San Mateo, CA

Pros

Rafter is stocked full of incredibly intelligent, creative, and passionate people. The startup culture is strong here--fast-paced, agile, best idea wins, competitive (not with each other...we just want to WIN)! Disputes have been known to be settled with Nerf gun standoffs.

There is tremendous opportunity for career growth and learning--if you work your butt off. That being said, there is also a surprising amount of work-life balance. Lots of flexibility to work and contribute.

Management is supportive and approachable--they are invested in pushing their teams to grow.

Cons

Can be tough for someone not from the startup/tech environment to acclimate quickly. You've really got to be able to learn quickly and be curious enough to learn and connect some dots on your own.

Advice to Management

Continue recruiting extraordinary people for the teams who need them to support growth.

"Great People and Culture"

I have been working at Rafter full-time

Pros

Great vision and mission- that we believe in!
    Very passionate and smart group of people.
    We learn and grow, with the help of each other!
    You'll love the culture here, trust me!
    Awesome working environment. Makes you excited to come to work everyday!

Cons

Some folks find it difficult to adapt quickly (when they're starting). They need not to feel overwhelmed. It's just how Rafter is. You might think that we're overwhelming you with tasks and projects, it's actually our way of saying, "We believe in you! We see your potential and you got this".

Advice to Management

Keep the fire burning! We have a great team that believes our company can make a difference. Your people loves working here!