Recology Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.8
Mike Sangiacomo

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • As the largest 100% employee owned resource recovery business in the US, Recology has an ownership culture that is second to none (in 14 reviews)

• Plus, the company provides a great benefits package (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • It's also difficult to cultivate new ideas without the prospective of new employees (in 3 reviews)

• Upper management unwilling to admit mistakes (in 3 reviews)

1. "Recology Employment Opportunities"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Eureka, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Eureka, CA

I have been working at Recology full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Recology is a great company to work for. As the largest 100% employee owned resource recovery business in the US, Recology has an ownership culture that is second to none. Recology has competitive pay, an excellent benefits package, and the main thing, an enjoyable work experience. I returned to work for Recology after 20 years with a family owned business, and it's the best career decision I've made. Recology values employee growth, both internally and externally. I have returned to college to obtain the degree I never finished when I was young, and Recology has helped with tuition expenses. With operating companies from Bakersfield to Seattle, there is an opportunity out there, don't waste it!

Cons

The hiring process takes a while, but it's worth it.

2. "A wonderful place to work!"

Current Employee - Waste Zero Specialist II in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Waste Zero Specialist II in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Recology full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Recology truly cares about the environment and sustainability - we walk the walk.
    - Turnover is low. Most of my coworkers have been with the company for anywhere from 5 - 25 years. This is a good sign!
    - We are employee owned, which creates a culture of teamwork and strong work ethic.
    - Employee personal well-being and career satisfaction are top priorities.

Cons

I cannot think of any noteworthy cons.

3. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at Recology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love the employee ownership culture here! Everyone really has a stake in the company’s success and it makes a big difference. HR and senior management are open and supportive. Plus, the company provides a great benefits package! I really appreciate the commuter benefits and the TWO retirement plans.

Cons

Computer systems are a little outdated.

Advice to Management

Invest in IT resources.

4. "Route Mapping Specialist"

Current Employee - Route Mapping Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Route Mapping Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Recology full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people and environment. Very interesting industry to work in. Very autonomous work approach with little micromanagement.

Cons

As a larger company, change comes slow. This can be frustrating at times, especially working in the tech sector. One of my biggest grievances is doing GIS work in a virtual environment. However, this feature is very helpful in the rare occasions for disaster recovery or back ups.

Advice to Management

Find a better balance to being risk adverse and progressive.

5. "Listen to experienced drivers"

I have been working at Recology full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people. A few first line managers that get it. Great support staff.

Cons

Managers have NO experience and make no good recommendations. Long long hours. Routes are too big and drivers have to work long daya -nd burn out. Managers need to have experience. Pushing us out.

6. "Good pay and benefits bad management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Recology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay and benefits. Worked with some very nice people that were trying very hard to make the company succeed.

Cons

Extremely poor upper management that has no clue and totally disconnected. HR is extremely over protective of hourly employees and doesn't support supervisors even with proof by video surveillance of blatant wrong doing and nothing happens. Mechanics walk out on the job in the middle of the day and they keep their jobs. Hourly employees are perpetually late with zero discipline. They will make people with not even a GED a supervisor. The employees with extensive experience are ignored my management over the idea that because we've been doing it this way for years its the best and only way. Moral is in the toilet.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people that have the knowledge and experience and actually want to help and not hurt the company.

7. "Good company"

I have been working at Recology full-time

Pros

Management is easy to talk to. Overtime

Cons

Not having as many people as we used too. Better recruits

"Neutral"

I worked at Recology part-time

Pros

Friendly and it all seemingly depends on your role..good commuter benefits

Cons

The culture is not as positive as it sounds. Executive managers are there to protect the company, even if it means to single one out. Been here long enough to see young ppl come and go with broken promises..

Advice to Management

Help your lower level employees on a human level.

"Mostly trash,"

I have been working at Recology full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits and weekly pay

Cons

Outdated computers and software, Office supplies are very hard to get. No room for advancement. Managers micro manage and pass off their work to their employees while they take care of personal business and facebook. Employees safety does not matter. They claim an open door policy in order to make things better but they will not invest in ergonomically correct equipment for their employees to make their job easier. Have witnessed many changes over many years with company but the company , is at an all-time low for the way employees get treated

Advice to Management

Take management classes learn how to manage employees. Listen to employees concerns and think about employees safety

10. "Good place to start or finish"

I have been working at Recology full-time

Pros

Recology is employee owned which allows management to operate the business with more patience than a publicly traded company. Job opportunities are plentiful in the Bay Area and there a variety of classifications available. Driver or mechanic positions are plentiful throughout the company. You can find GREAT people throughout the company.

Cons

Recology has made strides to grow the business in the last 6 years. While this has increased the stock price it has also diluted the value of those shares. As employee owners we receive shares at the end of each year but with the influx of new employees the amount of shares has dropped dramatically. Operationally there are still some significant growing pains. A large portion of the workforce is 55 or older and their presence tends to block younger employees from meaningful advancement. Not many management opportunities available in the Valley.

Advice to Management

Management is doing a good job of building a strong company culture. The CEO has done an excellent job of communicating the Recology mission. It would be beneficial to bolster succession planning efforts. Younger employees often get discouraged and feel stuck.