Redgate Software Reviews | Glassdoor

4.3
Redgate Software Co-Founder & CEO Simon Galbraith
Simon Galbraith

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Benefits are good, and so is the work-life balance (in 6 reviews)

• A welcoming environment, fun people to work with, free breakfast (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Career progression is extremely limited within the engineering group (in 4 reviews)

• Upper management sometimes takes a decision without asking for your opinion (in 4 reviews)

1. "A Great Place To Work"

I worked at Redgate Software full-time

Pros

Great people, great culture. Company really does strive to take care of their employees, which is saying something. Products actually work and solve real problems.

Cons

Working from a remote office has its difficulties.

Advice to Management

Keep on taking care of people!

2. "Unorganised Chaos and Data Protection Breaches"

I worked at Redgate Software full-time

Pros

Free food.
    Friendly co-workers.
    Free massages and outings.

Cons

Absolutely zero career progression.
    Software is lagging far behind competition yet management are too arrogant to do anything about is as they still think their software and business models are untouchable (which they really aren't).
    Way too many middle managers.
    A lot of people doing absolutely nothing and getting compensated highly for it.
    Many underhand tactics used.

Advice to Management

During my time with the company we found a number of instances where the software was illegally storing user data and various PCI scans were failed yet somehow passed.

Simon the CEO is all-round a very nice guy, however I don't think he has a clue what he is doing which is emphasised by the very high staff turnover. I'm aware of many people that have left in 2017 already. The tip seems to be to take your sabbatical after 5 years and then leave the company so you may want to address that.

3. "The Best Job I've Had (So Far)"

I worked at Redgate Software full-time

Pros

Redgate takes SUCH good care of its employees - good benefits, paid time off, a fun, relaxed work environment, and caring managers/leadership.

Cons

Honestly, the main negative was that I've had to leave Redgate since then, and I will miss them a ton! Another thing, which they are working to improve, is the continued growth opportunity available there.

4. "Great Starter Job"

Pros

Great culture, amazing people to work with, ability for innovation

Cons

Compensation, room for growth, and development path

Advice to Management

Compensation

5. "Insides Sales Representative"

I worked at Redgate Software full-time

Pros

Great culture; generous vacation & sick leave; open door policy with management

Cons

Need improved communication company wide; poor long-term strategies; unclear or little advancement opportunities

"Great company"

I worked at Redgate Software full-time

Pros

The company truly takes care of it's people. While I was there I witnessed several times that they practiced the "do what's right for the users" even if it cost them more money than easier choices. Everyone I dealt with was pleasant and helpful.

Cons

They are extremely transparent on what's going on internally. Sometimes this can lead to it feeling a little vague or uncertain when big decisions are being made, but for the most part you will get a chance to put in your thoughts on the matter if you want and not only be heard, but your ideas considered as well.

Advice to Management

Keep taking care of your people and your users.

7. "Fabulous as a first technology sales job"

I worked at Redgate Software full-time

Pros

Good company, enthusiastic about what they sell.
    Ability to learn quite a bit about the industry

Cons

Not a relational sales position, strictly inbound order taking.
    CEO is slightly bonkers, but smart and funny is a good thing.

Advice to Management

Doing great, hard to advise, very nice and courteous.

"Cultural Enviorment"

Current Employee - Sales Person in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Person in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Redgate Software full-time

Pros

Good Start up position out of school. Not for experienced sales person.

Cons

Non commission underpaid. No room for growth or avenues to move to other positions. Very flat structure.

Advice to Management

Increase compensation

9. "Best placed I have ever worked!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at Redgate Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Redgate is truly a unique place to work. The people are fantastic and the culture is incredible. People are treated as adults and are given autonomy and freedom to do their work. The Redgate values are meaningful and aren't just buzzwords. The office environment is fun and relaxed and encourages you to collaborate with others, and be transparent about what your team is working on. Flexible working helps people to manage their lives well. The perks are amazing: massages, free breakfast and lunch, fun days out, discounted yoga, pilates, hair cutting on site, social clubs, the RG library and more!

Cons

The only thing I can think of is that it is a 40 hour working week, which is quite high for the sector.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

"Interesting to say the least, future outlook is questionable"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at Redgate Software full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible working hours to accommodate those who wish to work outside the traditional 9-5. A Fun environment to work in without allot of red tape preventing people from working. On site provided free food & drink. Some great people that really are passionate for the work they do & have pride in their knowledge & understanding in their skill set. Company still has the foundation & key people to really bring it back to it's peak that it used to be.

Cons

Limited career development opportunities for the majority of the departments to work in, as seen from the range of leavers over the past few years.
    The fun environment can often be abused by some of the company so it is taken advantage of in some areas.
    Some of the culture creating events & perks have been reduced noticeably over the years yet they still promote these on their website like they are still there in full like they used to be.
    Salary rate can often be quite a bit lower than market rate (in order to pay for the "free" benefits, unless you really make use of these then you are loosing out)
    Work load across some areas of the business have been stressful at times, could be part due to team shifts, staff leavers & rehires within the same role. Personally my team suffered losses in staff over the years which left their workload to be covered causing additional stress & loss of personal development due to covering for long periods of time before new hires could be sought after.
    Company direction has been lacking over the last few years, quite often due to changes & disruptions in the market which haven't always been dealt with seriously which has resulted in the company loosing market share to other competitors that have been growing their business where Red Gate seemingly has been flat lining

Advice to Management

Invest in the company with a stronger belief in new opportunity areas , allot of the teams are in need of extra staff in order serve all products equally at a high standard the customers expect & have seen in the past. Take a fresh look at what the company provides & what the market is seeking, question why our competitors are doing so well & we are lacking behind in their growth rate.