Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Kerry Kennedy
  1. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights full-time for more than a year

Pros

Meaningful work, interesting opportunities, committed colleagues.

Cons

Occasionally tradition carries more weight than other criteria.

Advice to Management

Allow teams to take full ownership of decision making in their respective program areas.

Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights2019-05-01
  2. "Making A Difference"

I worked at Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights full-time

Pros

Organization with a strong board, recognized brand name and emerging portfolio of programs. Staff are reasonably well paid for a human rights NGO and we get interesting benefits every now and then.

Cons

Family run organization that has a high confidence in their ability to do things their way regardless of the guidance and experience of those doing the actual work. Tendency to follow the money over the development of consistent programming. Some programs have interesting prospects while others have struggled to demonstrate real outcomes for years.

Advice to Management

Find ways to empower junior staff to "own" projects. Protect staff from whims of President and pet projects of individual board members.

Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights2017-11-17
  3. "Cool perks and meaningful work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Work with brilliant advocates, lawyers, writers Do meaningful work with results you can see Awesome events with celebrities and political figures Small enough team that your work is meaningful

Cons

Can be a challenge if you aren't a self-starter

Advice to Management

Focus more on making program goals clear, because the actual important work we do is sometimes lost in overgeneralized program descriptions.

Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights2017-09-14
  4. "Love my job and my coworkers!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights full-time for less than a year

Pros

- I feel great going into work where I know we are making a difference - Love my co-workers and they come from all backgrounds. We regularly have engaging conversations and debates about Human rights issues - Nice office close to wall street - Flexible hours and Summer Friday's - We have been hitting major goals this year! - I was at first worried about high turnover when I started but since the initial turnover...

Cons

- We are not really the type of office culture that goes out for happy hour or regularly gets lunch together but I still consider everyone friends or friendly. - Because of busy schedules it is sometimes hard to pin down time with the executive staff but I have still found them willing to make it work. - Its a small staff so you must be willing to take on tasks that you might not consider as part of your job description...

Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights2017-08-11
  5. "Great work with limited resources"

I worked at Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights

Pros

Good work environment with great mix of people in one office. Hardworking people who really care about their work and clients

Cons

Staff were often stretched thin due to low resources

Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights2017-04-24

"Director"

I worked at Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights full-time

Pros

Good mission and dedicated staff

Cons

Erratic management. Impulsive decision-making.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff.

Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights2017-02-16

"Lasted Longer Than Most"

I worked at Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights

Pros

Great access to celebrities and some opportunities for travel depending on role within the org. Gives younger staff some chance to build experience in a wide range of areas as there are often staff shortages, which is good, but ultimately just heaps too much on undertrained/young staff.

Cons

Significant younger staff turnover due to lack of investment in creating work/life balance created a constant feeling that projects might be started or dropped due to changing staff profile. Unstable leadership at the very top significantly impacts day-to-day operations.

Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights2016-06-22

"RFK Human Rights"

I worked at Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights full-time

Pros

Flexibility (e.g. lack of supervisor interest, ability and expertise).

Cons

I've worked in the international nonprofit sector for quite some time, and RFK Human Rights is, by far, the most dysfunctional organization I have ever been a part of. Financial management is a veritable disaster (as evidenced by the routine budget shortfalls and family friends routinely bailing it out w/ multi-million dollar donations). There is no strategic direction whatsoever and the lack of forward, creative thinking...

Advice to Management

Find new jobs, ideally outside the nonprofit sector, as you have effectively run an organization -- with built-in name recognition and prestige -- into the ground. Also: learn to respect your staff and treat them with the same dignity you publicly purport to stand for.

Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights2016-02-29

"Nope"

I worked at Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights full-time

Pros

Most of the staff is amazing, good work life balance, close to the subway

Cons

No direction. Chaotic. Goals are constantly changing. New projects are added without old ones being completed

Advice to Management

I have no idea what to say here

Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights2015-09-23

"Unique flexibility for Human Rights NGO"

I have been working at Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights

Pros

Lots of expertise on staff, flexibility to design unique workplans, and name recognition throughout the world that gets you access to power.

Cons

The downside of their flexibility is that there is not always concrete objectives or limitations to programmatic initiatives, so mission creep is always a possibility.

Advice to Management

Set more concrete goals/focus-areas while continuing to allow expertise on staff to carry out flexibility in their tactics to achieve them.

Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights2015-08-05