Roc Search Reviews | Glassdoor

4.5
Roc Search Managing Director/Owner Conor Roughneen
Conor Roughneen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "I would highly recommend working for Roc Search" (in 36 reviews)

• "I am still within my first year of working at Roc Search but I have absolutely no complaints so far" (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "Can Be Long Hours: But The More You Put Into It The More You Get Out" (in 14 reviews)

• "As Roc Search is on the market for ten years now (Happy Birthday, Roc" (in 12 reviews)

1. "Great culture and interview process!"

I have been working at Roc Search full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The interview process was straightforward and clear, and the culture is very Austin in nature. Serious, but with a nuanced relaxed atmosphere.

Cons

No cons so far at this job.

"Amazing Start to a Career in Recruitment"

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in New York, NY

I have been working at Roc Search full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture, company structure, training, employees, team.

Cons

Job can be very demanding

"Trainee recruitment consultant"

Current Employee - Trainee IT Technical Recruiter in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Trainee IT Technical Recruiter in Austin, TX

I have been working at Roc Search full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

•amazing support system
    •commission is uncapped and rewards success
    •the founder of the company sits at a desk beside everyone and helps out with anything
    •fun working environment

Cons

None at this time.

Advice to Management

None at this time

"Technical Recruiter"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Roc Search full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The help train you every step of the way through your career.

There are many incentives throughout the whole year to keep you motivated and achieve your goals.

It is a really fun atmosphere but you work hard as well and are supported by all your colleagues.

Cons

There are not any I can really think of.

"Incredible Opportunity for Fantastic People!"

I have been working at Roc Search full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Incredibly dynamic team in a very positive environment! Every day is a new opportunity to improve yourself and the whole office is there to push you forward!

Cons

Nothing! Work hard and the rewards will be there!

Advice to Management

Keep hitting it out of the park!

"Roc Search- New York Office"

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in New York, NY

I have been working at Roc Search (Less than a year)

Pros

Environment, location, people, energy

Cons

can't think of any bad parts

"Amazing Company"

I have been working at Roc Search full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Phenomenal culture established and lead by a hands on CEO who really wants you to be successful! Great team atmosphere created by Lead Managers who are there to support and train you everyday!

Cons

Nothing! If you are willing to work hard the rewards will be unlimited.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

"Would NOT recommend"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Austin, TX

I worked at Roc Search full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decently laid back environment
    Worked with fun people

Cons

I was hired to work at Roc Search as an entry level recruitment consultant. During the interview process I was under the impression that this was going to be a really great opportunity (seeing as I had 2 interviews and each were over two hours long). At the interview we discussed what I believed to be all of the pros and cons of the job, and the management seemed very transparent. Going into this position I was excited for the opportunity to work hard and make money, but not even slightly turned away by the long hours or the 2.5 hour minimum on the phone.

Coming to work every day felt like a huge waste of time because I was calling the same 35-50 candidates every day because the candidate pool was small, (but expected to make at least 100 calls) and calling the same hiring managers that had previously expressed their strong lack of interest in working with Roc Search. Spent the entire time here selling fake jobs to candidates just to get information out of them (many of these candidates realize that Roc Search sells them fake jobs, and do not want to talk to you). Team manager offered no help other than surface level "just keep calling" statements. In my interview I stated that I did not want to work in a position where I was micromanaged, but the micromanaging here is out of control (ex: constantly being asked what you are looking at on your computer, and why you are not dialing). Roc also states that they provide outstanding training, which is not true. My best time at Roc Search was working with the trainer when she came over from the UK, but unfortunately since she is in the UK this level of training can only happen a couple times. In the beginning I felt like I was being set up for success because of the opportunities that working a "full-desk" brings but in reality you do not receive enough training or help from direct management to ever reach the level of success that is "sold" to you in the interview.

Advice to Management

-Do not hire entry level people to run a full desk.

-Hire more experienced managers (those who have strong people management experience, not just those who are good recruiters).

-Instead of asking new hires to write a positive review on glass door, to cover up the negative reviews, work on improving the company's management style to ensure that reviews are positive AND honest.

-Have a trainer in the office, and not only one that is in the UK.

-Stop micromanaging. Good employees will not stay here with this type of management (and good employees do not need to be micromanaged).

Roc Search Response

Dec 12, 2017 – Marketing Executive

First of all, we are very sorry this has been your experience of our company. Roc Search prides itself in creating fantastic career opportunities and work environments for its employees and we’ve had... More

"If you're entry level, STAY AWAY! Biggest waste of time."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Roc Search full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Cool office on 6th
    -fairly relaxed culture
    -hour lunch break

Cons

-ZERO training. They claim that their training is intensive and renowned when it literally does not exist. You will do a couple role play calls with a trainer (in the UK) for a call with a candidate and a client.
    -During my time there all I did was cold call candidates about fake jobs and never was given the opportunity to work on an actual job.
    -extreme micromanaging
    -no HR
    -I also agree with another review left by someone about one of the managers making the culture feel like a "boys club".
    -my manager was too focused on their own book of business to even care or help me build mine.

Advice to Management

Bring in some experienced managers and invest some resources into training entry level people and setting them up for success.

"Not the best but not the worst"

I have been working at Roc Search full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Some of the best training I've ever received, they truly do invest in a great training program with amazing trainers.
    -Pretty cool incentive trips
    -My direct team was amazing, not only did I get along with all of my team members and my direct manager, but they were amazing, smart, hardworking people.
    -Growth opportunities
    -Cool location

Cons

-Work life balance- their hours are 8:20-6, which is over 40 hours a week for very low base salary, even for a sales position.
    - Upper management is the type to take criticism very personally and not take care of some serious culture problems in the Austin office.
    -One of the managers had made the culture feel very much like a "boys club" and was always undermining the successes of anyone who was not on his team and was always snooping around trying to steal my team's business for his team.
    -THE MUSIC. The same manager would monopolize the music and just play his own music all day and not take any suggestions from others. I know that this seems like a little thing, but it really does start to rub you the wrong way after awhile.
    -Even though they are saying on here that everyone receives an exit interview, I never received one when I left.
    -While they do offer room for growth, it is very vertical and you can really only take one path to grow your career with Roc.
    -After I have left, the US director called me and made a very passive aggressive threat to take legal action against me because a former colleague who went to work for a competitor had tried to work with some clients that I had worked with during my time at Roc. This really bothered me and disturbed me since we had left on good terms and I had left the industry.
    -The health insurance was not the best.
    -No 401 K.
    - They had promised me a trip to the UK (their HQ) for training but kept on pushing it back and back
    -No proper HR department.

Advice to Management

I don't doubt at all that Roc is a great company to work for in Europe, you don't win all those awards for nothing. However, the US office needs some serious restructuring and changes to succeed. You have to be a little bit more flexible and not micro-manage as much. The micro-managing would really bring my morale down. PLEASE get a true HR professional who has their PHR or SPHR. Also, I'd recommend giving certain people in that office sensitivity training and talking to them about respecting other people.

Roc Search Response

Aug 21, 2017 – Director

Firstly thank you for taking the time to write a review. It’s great to hear such positive comments relating to the training, trips, ‘amazing team’, opportunities and location.

Secondly let me... More