SFM Mutual Insurance Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
SFM Mutual Insurance President & CEO Robert T. Lund
Robert T. Lund

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Diamond in the rough"

I have been working at SFM Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work hours, good benefits, good people, great culture.

I never check my email at night and rarely work on the weekends (in IT this is nearly unheard of).

Training (classes, conferences, etc.) is encouraged, highly encouraged (at least in IT).

They have the resources to do things right.

Employees are really valued and maintaining a great culture is very important to the company and to the high quality of service we provide.

Cons

It's business casual (except on Fridays) and I think I'd prefer it more casual...small price to pay though for this diamond in the rough.

"Excellent Employer"

I have been working at SFM Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

SFM has a lot of tenured and experienced employees but also promotes a healthy learning environment for young employees just starting out in the insurance industry. They support employee growth and development through encouraging employees to learn about positions beyond their own either through the mentor program, lunch & learns or just walking into someone's office and asking about what they do. I could not have picked a better employer to begin my career with.

Bottom line: you want to work here.

Cons

They are improving their ability/flexibility to work from home which I think will be important for the next generation of potential employees.

"Happiest I've ever been at work - it's more than just a "job""

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at SFM Mutual Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

After coming across this site and seeing a couple other employees had posted, I thought I better share my experience, too! It's hard to know where to start because there are so many positive things, but SFM's culture has blown me away the most.

SFM does a wonderful job of bringing new people into the organization that have similar passions, integrity and morals. I think it's been the key to SFM's success by being able to integrate new talent with the many tenured employees. Be it a passion for safety, healthcare, risk analysis, injury prevention, personal care or insurance, you can count on customer focus, professionalism, creativity and a relaxed atmosphere.

From the moment I went through my initial interview, having no insurance background, to now being a FT employee, I feel very lucky to have been given this opportunity. The people here have a bond, and it's strong. You can feel the respect, dedication and pride each person has for the role they play and for the company's mission.

Cons

Honestly, the only "con" I can think of is trying to convince people outside the insurance industry that working at SFM is rewarding and fun! Maybe it's different with other types of insurances, but our service and product are great so there's no need for us to be pushy, skeezy and sales driven. There's genuine belief in our cause and the impact we have on others - injured workers and the communities we serve.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. I've never been happier with an organization as I look back over my entire career!

4. "Great small company that cares, offers a lot of flexibility"

I have been working at SFM Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This is a company that truly cares about its employees. Management actually gets to know employees and is interested in hearing ideas and feedback. The CEO will start a conversation with you in the elevator and try to know everyone's name. He even bought me lunch once when I was standing behind him in line at the cafeteria and most recently, made a personal donation to a cause that is near and dear to my heart after I asked for donations for a fundraiser I was part of on our intranet. I was blown away!

There is a lot of opportunity for movement around the company and they would rather keep good employees on staff and see them move around within the company than have them leave and go elsewhere. I have worked in two different areas of the company in my time here and know many others who have done the same. There are also a lot of leadership development programs employees can apply to participate in.

The benefits are great - especially for a company of this size and much better than anywhere my spouse has worked in the time I've been at SFM (and with much larger companies). Great medical, dental and voluntary types of insurance; good 401k match. SFM supports and encourages continual growth and learning as evidenced by paying for seminars/workshops and even helping offset the cost of advanced degrees/designations/certifications.

I especially love the flexibility. SFM truly fosters a healthy work/life balance which I appreciate as someone with kids. I rarely work past my regular hours and am not expected to be "plugged in" after I walk out the door which is really rare these days.

Cons

Honestly the only downside is my long commute to Bloomington but that's a choice I make to live on the northern end of town.

Advice to Management

I appreciate the opportunity to work here. I actually enjoy coming to work, even after many years of working at SFM.

"Great small company"

Former Employee - Claims Representative in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Claims Representative in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at SFM Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great environment, culture and benefits

Cons

Somewhat limited room for advancement

"Caring employees & great place to work"

Pros

Great work culture, philanthropic, caring people, open doors

Cons

Limited opportunities to be promoted due to company's management structure