SThree Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
SThree CEO Gary Elden
Gary Elden

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Phenomenal training, support and infrastructure, great career opportunities, work hard/play hard attitude and some great incentives (in 12 reviews)

• Work life balance is however depends on how you manage your time with desired results (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Say goodbye to your work-life balance (in 15 reviews)

• As a sales based company, you would expect that it would be KPI driven (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Company - Fantastic people"

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Principal Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at SThree full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed the 1 and a half years I worked with the company. The training program was always changing and adapting to the need in the office. The people in the company really made my experience as there was a diverse group and they were extremely inclusive and you always would have someone to grab lunch with, a coffee, a beer or someone for some friendly advice. The management was great as all of the managers had started as fresh graduates and had built the business up. My personal situation meant I needed flexibility for some time off and my management worked with me for that without questions. Anyone looking for a successful career should consider Sthree. Also the office views are out of this world!

Cons

I never really experienced any down sides when I worked there

Advice to Management

Keep the diversity going! Be known for hiring out the box and this will give you the edge over other companies!

2. "Fun & rewarding company with best-in-the-business training!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at SThree full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Excellent career opportunities. I was promoted three times in three years!
    -Fun, energetic office. Gorgeous space with incredible views of the Bay.
    -Fantastic new commission structure that rewards everybody involved in making a placement. Top earners make above of $200k.
    -Hands down the best training in the industry. Onsite one-on-one coaching with an awesome training specialist.

Cons

-It can take a while to figure out your market and start making regular commission, so living on a base salary can be tough (but once you start seeing commission, it's worth it)
    -Managers are stretched to capacity

Advice to Management

-Base salary should be reviewed at junior level

"Mediocre"

Current Employee - Back Office
    Current Employee - Back Office

I have been working at SThree full-time

Pros

The PTO is generous. They shut down at the end of the year from Christmas to New Years which is nice.

Cons

I read this once before I started on Glassdoor: Its an all boys club. If you're not in the club, there's no chance for advancement. There's no merit based promotions. Just a lousy cost of living adjustment of 2% across the board. It's a giant popularity contest for whatever they do give people. You have no voice whatsoever. Its basically a circus act masquerading as a professional company. It's a revolving door of changing faces with no long term retention. They don't do a good job of recognizing or cultivating the talent they have within the company. Always quick to replace and bring in the next new thing. And just like true recruiters, they'll sell you on the dream and promise of advancement. And years later, you wonder why you're stuck in the same position barely making it with 2% cost of living adjustments - I mean raises.

Advice to Management

Value your employees. Management frequently recognizes the top performers and managers. They however, don't recognize their support staff and the people actually doing the work. Also, offer internal office advancement.

Jun 2, 2017 – Employer Branding Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy that you enjoy the generous PTO that is offered to our employees. Closing the company between the Christmas and New Year holiday allows employees to spend... More

4. "Ultimate Review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at SThree full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Excellent Benefits and 401K options
    - More than average PTO days
    - elbow support is exceptionally helpful
    - Great company culture
    - Great locations all throughout the US

Cons

working hours are lengthy and could have more flexibility for remote work. Promotion targets are within reach but could be more achievable

Advice to Management

managers, keep doing what you're doing. especially in the Austin/Houston offices.

Great managers to work for and can build lasting relationships with

5. "Never Leaving!"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Austin, TX

I have been working at SThree full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best culture, great base and commission plans.
    The incentive trips are amazing, not to mention the people you get to work with are some of the coolest people I've met. The values this company has taught me will resonate forever in my personal and professional life.

If you get the opportunity to work here, you better take it or someone else will and have more success than you could imagine.

Cons

Every jobs has cons but the ones here are so insignificant that I cant even think of one now

Advice to Management

Continue to listen o your employees like you always do

6. "Recruiter"

Pros

- Great company culture if you like "work hard play harder"
    - plenty of mentorship

Cons

- many tend to leave after 1 year or less
    - a bit of a lone wolf environment

Advice to Management

- work on retention of employees and increase training programs

"Recruiter"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Chicago, IL

I worked at SThree full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- free fruit, sometimes. If they feel like it that week

Cons

Few pros

-Say goodbye to your work-life balance
    -New to graduating and moving to Chicago and think you'll be able to work and play?? SAY GOODBYE TO THAT.
    -12 hours is the expectation to work, not an exception.
    -Not even paid for the ridiculous overtime. Hopefully you have parents that can lend you rent money because they pay you pennies regardless of what they promise you in the interview
    -Management: don't even know where to begin. Chicago needs to clean house, desperately. It's embarrassing honestly how horrible the management is. If you're a recent grad; they will treat you like you're an idiot and take full advantage of you (aka not pay you commission even if you are owed it and claim it's some bizarre rule or loophole)
    -just don't even bother applying or interviewing. The biggest waste of time and setback in starting a real career

Advice to Management

Let the people who actually know how to manage, manage. Some of the Business Developers were great with people and their business and you would micromanage it until it crumbled and all your people left. It was embarrassing watching you try to manage and destroy people's hard work.

Also stop letting your Internal Recruiters write fake Glassdoor reviews to try to boost your rating. They openly do it in the office and we have all witnessed it

Apr 7, 2017

Thank you for taking some time to provide us with your feedback. We take employee feedback seriously and we would like to address some of your concerns. We believe that a healthy work/life balance... More

"Stay away!"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SThree full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

$$ potential (but they have now changed the way everyone is paid so its not the case anymore)

Cons

Poisonous environment
    Unfit management
    Ridiculous politics, favoritism, poor communication, ZERO transparency

"Micromanaged Out"

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at SThree full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Eventually get flexibility in your schedule after working there for 2-3 years.
    - Nice office
    - 4 weeks vacation starting out
    - Free fruit

Cons

- Trained by management to lie, cheat, and do whatever you can to get business - management team only cares about what commission they are getting next quarter, no focus on ethics or customer service.
    - Break employees down through negative reinforcement, threats of losing your job, and public shame when you don't hit your targets
    - Don't pay employees ON TIME, if there is an issue with an employees pay, whether that was by mistake of management, commissions or the employee themselves- THIS SHOULD BE TOP PRIORITY!! I've seen countless consultants not receive the pay they were entitled to in a timely manner.
    - FOR SALES - expect to be on a strict budget when traveling and you have to use your own credit card for all expenses!! Cannot expense cell phone, don't get a laptop or anything but they expect you to be on the road 50% of the time.
    - No work life balance, managers will get involved with your business and ruin it if you don't work on your days off. Always ask for your email password to send emails from your account while you're out of the office. Very inappropriate.

Advice to Management

- Management needs to understand they are no longer in the U.K. - American business is different. We value hard work, intelligence, treating employees and clients fairly and with respect.
    - Stop treating college graduates like they are idiots. They deserve to be treated like adults with responsibility for their own business.
    - Clean house with US exec team - expect Morgan, literally the only valuable leadership asset on the team.
    - Fire consultants and managers that engage in sketchy unethical business practices. Sthree will eventually burn bridges with every single major employer in their respective markets.
    - Acknowledge when you make a mistake! Management never apologized or accepted blame for ANYTHING. If you cannot admit when you make a mistake and point fingers at your employees, everyone will leave.

Apr 7, 2017

Thank you for the feedback. We are encouraged that you appreciate our flexible working arrangements and generous vacation policy. Our values are central to our identity and it is very concerning to... More

10. "Good"

I worked at SThree full-time

Pros

People are nice to work with

Cons

Location not near my home

Advice to Management

Good management