SThree Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
SThree CEO Gary Elden
Gary Elden

Pros
  • Phenomenal training, support and infrastructure, great career opportunities, work hard/play hard attitude and some great incentives (in 12 reviews)

• Work life balance is however depends on how you manage your time with desired results (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Say goodbye to your work-life balance (in 16 reviews)

• As a sales based company, you would expect that it would be KPI driven (in 8 reviews)

1. "Ultimate Review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at SThree full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Excellent Benefits and 401K options
    - More than average PTO days
    - elbow support is exceptionally helpful
    - Great company culture
    - Great locations all throughout the US

Cons

working hours are lengthy and could have more flexibility for remote work. Promotion targets are within reach but could be more achievable

Advice to Management

managers, keep doing what you're doing. especially in the Austin/Houston offices.

Great managers to work for and can build lasting relationships with

2. "Never Leaving!"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Austin, TX

I have been working at SThree full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best culture, great base and commission plans.
    The incentive trips are amazing, not to mention the people you get to work with are some of the coolest people I've met. The values this company has taught me will resonate forever in my personal and professional life.

If you get the opportunity to work here, you better take it or someone else will and have more success than you could imagine.

Cons

Every jobs has cons but the ones here are so insignificant that I cant even think of one now

Advice to Management

Continue to listen o your employees like you always do

3. "Great Company - Fantastic people"

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Principal Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at SThree full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed the 1 and a half years I worked with the company. The training program was always changing and adapting to the need in the office. The people in the company really made my experience as there was a diverse group and they were extremely inclusive and you always would have someone to grab lunch with, a coffee, a beer or someone for some friendly advice. The management was great as all of the managers had started as fresh graduates and had built the business up. My personal situation meant I needed flexibility for some time off and my management worked with me for that without questions. Anyone looking for a successful career should consider Sthree. Also the office views are out of this world!

Cons

I never really experienced any down sides when I worked there

Advice to Management

Keep the diversity going! Be known for hiring out the box and this will give you the edge over other companies!

"Recruiter"

I worked at SThree full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- free fruit, sometimes. If they feel like it that week

Cons

Few pros

-Say goodbye to your work-life balance
    -New to graduating and moving to Chicago and think you'll be able to work and play?? SAY GOODBYE TO THAT.
    -12 hours is the expectation to work, not an exception.
    -Not even paid for the ridiculous overtime. Hopefully you have parents that can lend you rent money because they pay you pennies regardless of what they promise you in the interview
    -Management: don't even know where to begin. Chicago needs to clean house, desperately. It's embarrassing honestly how horrible the management is. If you're a recent grad; they will treat you like you're an idiot and take full advantage of you (aka not pay you commission even if you are owed it and claim it's some bizarre rule or loophole)
    -just don't even bother applying or interviewing. The biggest waste of time and setback in starting a real career

Advice to Management

Let the people who actually know how to manage, manage. Some of the Business Developers were great with people and their business and you would micromanage it until it crumbled and all your people left. It was embarrassing watching you try to manage and destroy people's hard work.

Also stop letting your Internal Recruiters write fake Glassdoor reviews to try to boost your rating. They openly do it in the office and we have all witnessed it

Apr 7, 2017

Thank you for taking some time to provide us with your feedback. We take employee feedback seriously and we would like to address some of your concerns. We believe that a healthy work/life balance ... More

"Stay away!"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SThree full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

$$ potential (but they have now changed the way everyone is paid so its not the case anymore)

Cons

Poisonous environment
    Unfit management
    Ridiculous politics, favoritism, poor communication, ZERO transparency

"Micromanaged Out"

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at SThree full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Eventually get flexibility in your schedule after working there for 2-3 years.
    - Nice office
    - 4 weeks vacation starting out
    - Free fruit

Cons

- Trained by management to lie, cheat, and do whatever you can to get business - management team only cares about what commission they are getting next quarter, no focus on ethics or customer service.
    - Break employees down through negative reinforcement, threats of losing your job, and public shame when you don't hit your targets
    - Don't pay employees ON TIME, if there is an issue with an employees pay, whether that was by mistake of management, commissions or the employee themselves- THIS SHOULD BE TOP PRIORITY!! I've seen countless consultants not receive the pay they were entitled to in a timely manner.
    - FOR SALES - expect to be on a strict budget when traveling and you have to use your own credit card for all expenses!! Cannot expense cell phone, don't get a laptop or anything but they expect you to be on the road 50% of the time.
    - No work life balance, managers will get involved with your business and ruin it if you don't work on your days off. Always ask for your email password to send emails from your account while you're out of the office. Very inappropriate.

Advice to Management

- Management needs to understand they are no longer in the U.K. - American business is different. We value hard work, intelligence, treating employees and clients fairly and with respect.
    - Stop treating college graduates like they are idiots. They deserve to be treated like adults with responsibility for their own business.
    - Clean house with US exec team - expect Morgan, literally the only valuable leadership asset on the team.
    - Fire consultants and managers that engage in sketchy unethical business practices. Sthree will eventually burn bridges with every single major employer in their respective markets.
    - Acknowledge when you make a mistake! Management never apologized or accepted blame for ANYTHING. If you cannot admit when you make a mistake and point fingers at your employees, everyone will leave.

Apr 7, 2017

Thank you for the feedback. We are encouraged that you appreciate our flexible working arrangements and generous vacation policy. Our values are central to our identity and it is very concerning to ... More

"New Grads: Great Starting Point for Career Suicide"

I worked at SThree full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Training: Incredible and strong follow through via Rookie Training

Comradery: Forced mentorship in buddy program

Location: Downtown Chicago in the loop

Benefits: Vacation time

Cons

Bold Face Lies AKA Salary and Commission: Take what they told you you'd be making in commission and divide it by for a more realistic number i.e. $35k base + $45k-$55k in commission+ $42k-$45k annum

Work/Life Balance: LOL

100 point plan: Career suicide if you're just starting out, you get scraps of commission for your first 7 or 10 deals, and the commission scheme is appalling if you're a recruiter.

"Merit" Based Promotions: To get promoted to senior consultant, you must bill $600k, which is roughly 50 $25,000 fee deals. You may also get promoted in the event that they need someone to take over due to high turnover, or if you sleep with the right people.

Management: One good apple out of a bag of rotten ones doesn't make it a good buy.

If you have any sense in researching a company's glassdoor page before or whilst interviewing with them, you have enough sense to not work for Sthree Chicago.

Advice to Management

Set your people up for success, if they're successful, you'll be successful. However, it's quite clear that 90% of you no longer care, so leave and let others who want to successful and want to be there and want to manage, manage.

Mar 21, 2017 – Director of Talent

Thank you for your feedback. We're happy that you found the training programs to be useful as it is an area we have invested a lot into. We're sorry your experience in other areas weren't as great ... More

"Chicago Intervention Needed"

I worked at SThree full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- young environment full of positive and energetic employees. One of the greatest groups of people I've worked with
    - training is second to none. It's incredible and will give you a great starting point for your sales career
    - happy hours, incentive trips, creative sales days
    - free coffee and fruit
    - good office location with a nice view

Cons

- the management team needs to be scrapped starting at the top and working it's way down. The environment is extremely political. You are told you will need to hit KPIs for promotion targets, but if you're a favorite you may just be magically promoted without billing, blanking for months, etc.

- going off of the point above, there are a few select managers in the business who are amazing. However, it is difficult for their voice to be heard. Voicing their opinions or sticking up for their direct reports often ends up hurting them.

- Retention rate is embarrassing. All sales environments will have high turnover, especially within recruitment. As soon as you realize the political nature and toxicity of the environment, you'll leave.

- kool aid environment is very real. You will be brainwashed, and you will like it. Eventually, you'll wake up.

Advice to Management

Give Chicago an intervention. Hire a new VP and bring in loyal and unbiased Directors under them. Sthree has the potential to do amazing things and be a true leader in the recruitment space. This will not happen with the current management team. Your top billers have and will continue to leave.

Mar 21, 2017 – Director of Talent

Thank you for your feedback. We're happy that you found the training programs to be useful as it is an area we have invested a lot into. We're also happy that you recognize some of the other benefits ... More

"Warning! Do not work for Sthree"

Former Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at SThree full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Earning potential is great if you're doing well..

Cons

Extremely poor leadership at the director level. Top heavy company that takes advantage of the junior consultants. Toxic work environment with a very poor company vision. Very political work environment. Low base salary

Advice to Management

Clean up the senior leadership or else you are screwed

Mar 21, 2017 – Director of Talent

We're sorry you didn't have a great experience at SThree, however are glad you recognize the financial opportunity that exists. We are currently doing a significant amount of work to understand the ... More

"Business Development"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at SThree full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Energetic work environment
    - Opportunity for travel
    - Growing in terms of number of offices in USA
    - Good rewards/incentives i.e lunch club

Cons

- Training for new starts is poor
    - Communicatiom between teams can sometimes be difficult
    - Lots of switching of people from team to team

Advice to Management

Think more carefully about switching teams around so much as it can mess with the team dyamics and lead to a lot of confusion