SYPartners Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Susan Schuman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"A unique company that will challenge you"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at SYPartners full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Incredible client list, fascinating problems to work on, great culture.

Cons

Some growth pains, which are to be expected.

Advice to Management

Focus on the long term.

"toxic culture, lead with fear"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at SYPartners full-time

Pros

Incredible, caring, wonderful people who love each other more than you can possibly imagine.

Cons

No bad actors, but plenty of bad behaviors. Gossiping and favoritism are quite common. Principals playing politics and the blame game. People working awful hours, making incredible sacrifices, are grossly underpaid, and have very little opportunity for advancement.

Office has a culture of peer-pressured, forced positivity. Dissent and criticism are not welcome. There's no safe space for sharing concerns without fear of leadership repercussions. The vibe feels fake, manufactured, forced. Putting on a front for NY. Very little attention or listening coming from office or SYP leadership.

Advice to Management

Too much ego, fear, and politics... need to address culture and leadership issues or the office will continue to deteriorate.

"They do not practice what they preach"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at SYPartners full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The glamour of working for some very famous and influential clients in a highly designed space with abundant free food and drink.

Cons

Heartbreakingly hypocritical. Such a gap between values espoused and those applied - can give you whiplash. They describe emotional intelligence in articles and presentations but do not embody it evenly across the leadership team.

Lack of racial diversity on leadership team and across the company.

Also terribly elite, arrogant and hierarchical. Feels cult-like. Not a place where creativity or innovation thrives. Very odd insistence on Positive Outlook, while at the same time, employees constantly gossip and complain about each other and irresponsible leader behavior is left unchecked.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach. Aggressively pursue more diversity on leadership team. Release the tight grip at the top / less micromanaging. Allow more ideas to develop bottom-up vs. top-down.

"Project Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SYPartners full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great kitchen and interesting mix of people.

Cons

Middle management can be unprofessional at times i.e gossiping about co-workers and speaking to others in a condescending manner.

"My work is meaningful, impactful and rewarding."

Current Employee - Designer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Designer in New York, NY

I have been working at SYPartners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I truly believe in the work and I feel my team is very engaged. We work hard but I love the people I work with so it feels fun and challenging. My colleagues are tremendously creative, smart and analytical. They are also empathetic, passionate, and witty. The teams work incredibly closely together, highly collaborative. Designers are great strategists. The strategists have strong design thinking. We get to work directly with top leaders at companies to help them make the bold moves that can transform their firm. SY as a company is forward thinking, generous and ethical, trusting and incredibly supportive of employees. Unlimited time off policy is a fave.

Cons

Sometimes long hours. Not enough infrastructure (IT, Knowledge Managerment, etc) to support the projected growth. Everyone is equal but some people are more equal than others.

Advice to Management

Listen to the little people.

"Good company with momentum"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SYPartners full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Between the time I started and now, the company has grown from ~60 employees in one office to ~120 employees in two offices. From my capacity in Ops (IT, finance, admin), the growth has been incredible and offered many opportunities to take part in process innovation and improvement to reduce friction in the workflow between the two offices.

Cons

Given that SYPartners is a consultancy, it's natural for the limelight to be on the consultants. For the rest of us in Ops, we're noticed when mistakes are made - which is less than 5% of the time. Some recognition can go a long way.

"High caliber of work and people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

This is the kind of place where people are incredibly thoughtful about the clients they bring in, and the work they put out. I feel cared for personally and professionally, and there is a strong emphasis on work/life balance, which in turn puts out better work. Cross-discipline collaboration takes high priority. The trusting relationships between clients and SYP leadership is something you'll find nowhere else, and is the recipe for making successful change at those companies.

Cons

Incredibly high expectations of employees, constantly described as "not for everyone."
    Additionally, because there is such a high caliber of work, it can take a long time to get things done. Frustration culminates around a feeling of repetition within projects (overwhelming amount of dialogue and revisions around output), and across projects (primarily B2B clients, which can feel redundant to some).
    The culture is friendly, but overall not incredibly close.

Advice to Management

Manage people to create great work but find ways to keep them inspired and loving what they do: Create more opportunities for fun and relationship-building outside of projects.
    Keep people on projects more consistently to avoid missing knowledge and repeated work.
    Make senior leadership more accessible.
    Find ways to recognize the value each employee is contributing to this small company.

"Constantly challenging work in a fun, caring work environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

The companies we get to work with, and the access we get to executives in those companies, are incredible. No two projects are the same, and there's no rote method for doing the work, so it's a place where you're constantly learning and picking up new skills. And the people are really driven, but not competitive or political at all.

Cons

It's a (relatively) small company, so there isn't as much promotion potential as larger consultancies or agencies. And most of the clients are US companies, so not a ton of exposure to international clients or international markets.

9. "It is a challenging environment to work in"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

It is a place where I feel respected and have great working relationships with my colleagues, we have very complex strategy projects that I enjoy and feel like I am always being challenged.

Cons

The projects are Large, and often in an industry that is someone uninteresting, while they are good projects, I year for the more sexy kind of work

Advice to Management

A stronger vision as to where the company is heading and how we plan to get there. I dont always feel like that is clear

10. "learned a lot, felt exhausted"

I worked at SYPartners full-time

Pros

very smart people, was lucky to be on some very deep interesting and rewarding projects, learned a ton, had some good support from management.

Cons

not everyone gets good support from management, saw people getting burned out, stuck, etc. crazy hours.