ShapeUp Reviews | Glassdoor

ShapeUp Reviews

Updated Feb 23, 2017

Found 13 reviews

4.3
ShapeUp CEO Rajiv Kumar, MD (no image)
Rajiv Kumar, MD

"Great People. Great Industry. Tons of Opportunity."

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Providence, RI

I worked at ShapeUp full-time for more than a year

Pros

The workplace and benefits are incredible. As a wellness company, the leadership practices what they preach -- offering healthy snacks, weekly teambuilding events, yoga classes, boot camp workouts, and a generally supportive environment. The vacation days truly were unlimited. I took 4 vacation weeks each year and never got any pressure to take less. It was so nice to not have to worry about counting days when... personal things come up. From a career perspective, there is a ton of room for personal career growth. It is a growing company where anyone can create their own opportunities to make an impact on the company's success as well as the work environment. I reported to the VP of Product and he was fully transparent, invested in advancing my career, and empowered me to make a difference. I also enjoyed working for a company with such a meaningful mission. In addition to fulfilling work, the health and wellness industry is growing and will continue to offer interesting employment opportunities for years to come. The people are great - you'll find people playing ping-pong and hanging out at 5:30pm most days. The leadership team is hands-on and very accessible. I only left because I had an opportunity to pursue a personal passion project. I'd work there again in the future.

Cons

As with any fast growing company that is willing to innovate, there is a fair amount of change across teams as the company evolves. Some people may not be comfortable with that, however, I loved the dynamic environment and saw new opportunities for career growth around every corner. You'll be fine as long as you are open minded, flexible, and don't sweat the small stuff.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

ShapeUp2015-08-27

"Review Title"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI

I worked at ShapeUp full-time

Pros

The team members were amazing to work with - the hiring process was fairly grueling so the quality of people tended to be high. It was common for people to form solid friendships across silos.

Cons

It felt at times like there was a lack of a consistent strategic direction. A lot of decision making was tactical and pushed down the org chart, so sometimes decisions felt a little uncoordinated.

ShapeUp2017-02-24

"Intelligent tech professionals; Unethical leadership"

I worked at ShapeUp full-time

Pros

The benefits overall were solid. ShapeUp offered a young environment catered towards Tech professionals. Good entry level startup and resume builder.

Cons

Corruption within leadership. People have gotten away with outlandish behavior (some were even promoted) and sexual harassment is commonplace here. Don't count on HR coming to your aid... HR seems to protects sexual harassment perpetrators. It can be a negative environment for women depending on who your boss is.

Advice to Management

Replace the head of HR & Product

ShapeUp2016-07-19
  4. "ShapeUp is on the Up & Up"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI

I have been working at ShapeUp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have been with ShapeUp for over two years, and has grown significantly! It was pretty painful for awhile, but I finally feel like I can breathe and know that if I put hard work in, I can and will accomplish my goal. I'm thankful for all the perks because they help to keep me motivated in hard times. Now that things are better, I don't ever want to leave! I'm very excited about the future of ShapeUp and especially... the new leadership team!

Cons

The biggest con is the lack of processes. The good news is that a change management consultant has been brought in to help! Hoping the new processes are enforced.

Advice to Management

Looking forward to the new leadership to spark change and to be even more transparent about decisions that are made or how our work can influence the overarching strategy/direction of the company.

ShapeUp2015-12-24

"CTO"

Engineering Manager in Providence, RI

I worked at ShapeUp for less than a year

Pros

Great culture, talented people and excellent team outings. Team is focused on hiring great talent and treats employees like family.

Cons

Challenging industry to productize with big health payers as customers driving product development.

ShapeUp2015-09-23

"Great mission"

in Providence, RI

I have been working at ShapeUp for more than 3 years

Pros

Great place to work. Lots of options and a very flexible place.

Cons

Work is intense, but a good balance of benefits and company events really help.

ShapeUp2015-08-26
  7. "Best place to work!"

I worked at ShapeUp

Pros

Very flexible with working from home and time off Lots of benefits towards keeping healthy Stocked snack closet Company-provided lunch once per week

Cons

Is some division between tech-related employees and client-facing employees

ShapeUp2015-07-28

"Best place to work"

I have been working at ShapeUp

Pros

Leadership cares about their employees. There is a sense of teamwork and common goal. It is easy to ask for help. It is also exciting to a see a fast growing company that lives the culture of work life balance and employee wellness.

Cons

The company is growing very fast and maintaining this culture will be challenging. I think we are outgrowing the facility, it's time to find a new one.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work and try your very hardest to maintain the culture.

ShapeUp2015-04-12

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - IOS Developer in Providence, RI

I have been working at ShapeUp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

ShapeUp offers a great workplace environment and there benefits package isn't too shabby either. Here is a list of some of the Pros to working at ShapeUp: * Company Outings throughout the year * Company events * Great benefits package * Open Work environment * Freedom to work how you want Overall I have had a great time at ShapeUp over the past few years and can see myself being here for a few more.

Cons

One of the biggest cons at ShapeUp is the lack of a defined process. ShapeUp is growing fast so the process is ever changing. This isn't always a bad thing but it can cause turmoil.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to take a step back and try to hear what the employees are saying. With the fast growth it sometimes feels as though we are not heard.

ShapeUp2014-12-24

"Never settling for good, striving for great!"

Current Employee - Manager in Providence, RI

I have been working at ShapeUp full-time for less than a year

Pros

Phenomenal, welcoming, kind, bright individuals who actually care not only about fitness/wellness, but about each other and operating like a team! All ideas are respected! Benefits are awesome! Free health/dental/life insurance, free healthy food, free personal training classes, team events & always new benefits monthly! Let's not forget about the great product, that achieves real results for participants!

Cons

Growing Quickly (if not handed with care, this can be a con, otherwise it's great!)

Advice to Management

Continue to foster a culture of wellness, great benefits, innovation, and teamwork! Continue to hire bright employees with great attitudes! It's working so far!

ShapeUp2013-09-20