Cover image for SmartBug Media

Join the conversation on

Advertising

126.2K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/advertising/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=SmartBug Media~1041104
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee
    Featured Review

Five stars

Aug 25, 2022 - Senior Marketing Specialist
    Business Outlook

Pros

100% remote company with flex time. A transparent executive team willing to listen to employees. Promotes & advocates for work-life balance & means it! Rockstar co-workers who are the best at what they do.

Cons

Not a lot of cons. Smaller company = not as great benefits but made up for with other remote working perks.

3 people found this review helpful
  2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

No place I’d rather be (truly)

Oct 26, 2022 - Marketing Strategist
    Business Outlook

Pros

For starters, I’ve never worked at a company that values their employees as much as SmartBug values their employees. The way that feedback is heard by senior executives at the company does not go unnoticed. I started as a junior level employee, and at everyone step of the way I’ve had multiple people who have invested in my growth as a marketer (and as a human). There are ample opportunities to get involved and to make a difference in the organization. The support and guidance provided by this company is different than anything I’ve experienced. At an agency, sometimes in can be hard to take a step back and take time for yourself — this has not been my experience at SmartBug. I can’t thank the team enough for believing in me and noticing my strengths and accomplishments. I’ve always felt a sense of understanding and belonging here and I’m confident that isn’t going to change. I’ve realized a sense of purpose in this career that I’m not sure I would’ve felt without the culture and purpose SmartBug embodies day in and day out.

Cons

Client management can be difficult and mentally taxing, which could be said for any agency. The pressure to make the client happy can be overwhelming, but it’s just as much as rewarding when you succeed.

3. Join the SmartBug Media team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Wonderful place to be!

Aug 1, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

SmartBug is the place for authentic people that want to challenge themselves and grow! The word authenticity at SmartBug is not just corporate jargon... it is real life! We all have a little bit of dork in us and here we let it shine! In to Star Wars, part of a cool cat club, enjoy traveling the world, hate water slides... all are accepted and embraced. This authenticity starts at the top and has made its way throughout the organization! Now the growth- it is the real deal. You are surrounded by incredibly smart, intellectual people with different experiences and brilliant ideas. SmartBug promotes that by continual investment in learning- like certification days, and a training budget you get to spend as you wish. I have personally grown, and continue to learn something new everyday!

Cons

Business is growing- like fast! So anytime you grow fast, it is hard for all of the processes to keep up. Not a con- just a fact. So if you like building processes and helping establish the scalable future- you have found your place.

5. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great culture and talented team

Mar 21, 2022 - Director in Reading, PA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The culture is fantastic at SmartBug. The leadership team regularly seeks feedback and is very responsive and quick to implement changes and improvements, which you don't see at many companies. The level of transparency is also very unusual (in a good way). Teammates/peers are very bright - SmartBug hires really extraordinary talent - and very quick to help each other. It's a community that is quick to lend advice, knowledge, and support, which is really helpful, especially in an all-remote environment. SmartBug has got the remote work approach well-honed, with tools that are easy to use and a good amount of flexibility in working hours and schedule. There are many processes and training materials in place, which allows for really straightforward and thorough onboarding into the agency's approach. The agency also is very supportive of career growth and plans, professional development, and investing in the individual. They are also progressive and proactive about efforts around diversity and inclusion. I had a great experience at SmartBug and would highly recommend it to others!

Cons

The agency is growing quickly and that results in some growing pains. But the leadership team actively seeks feedback and addresses what they hear, which makes a big difference. Right now, career paths tend to fall into a few primary buckets, so that can be limiting, but they are actively working to expand and rethink these as the company grows to allow for additional growth paths.

1 person found this review helpful
  6. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Poor Management & Garbage Inbound Leads

Aug 31, 2022 - Account Executive in Newport Beach, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nice team members Remote working HubSpot Training Provided Equipment

Cons

Unstable work-life balance, 12 hour days Lack of managerial training Passive aggressive leadership Disengaged employees, unmotivated Non-qualified inbound leads (garbage leads) Scope creep Micromanagement

3 people found this review helpful
  7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

A+++ Agency

Jul 28, 2022 - Sales Executive
    Business Outlook

Pros

SmartBug is the definition of "Best Place to Work". Being a remote agency, it can be hard to connect with team members and have a strong culture but SmartBug knows what they are doing. Being founded as a remote agency has allowed the company to put the systems, people, and processes in place. I am surrounded by a plethora of smart people doing amazing things for clients that continue to "wow" me.

Cons

No cons working at SmartBug.

8. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Not great

Nov 1, 2022 - Client Services Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Remote environment, IRL meetups, partial work from home reimbursement

Cons

Most employees are great and talented, but still overworked and underpaid.

9. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to learn, not so much to grow

May 24, 2022 - Marketing Specialist in Reno, NV
    Business Outlook

Pros

You will learn so much about a variety of industries. You will quickly become a marketing professional with the chops to run entire departments. Your education is fully supported and you will work with some of the smartest people you'll ever meet. You're able to find creative solutions for your clients and it's just plain fun working for SmartBug.

Cons

It's a marketing agency. You get paid poorly and you work much harder than you would in house. Work-life balance is rough but not if you set clear boundaries and stick to them. Your growth trajectory is defined but not really followed - even if you're meeting the benchmarks to be promoted you probably won't be promoted any time soon. They are working on this! SmartBug is not a perfect company but what sets them apart is that they try - they may not hit the mark all of the time (flex time isn't actually flex time) but the fact that they try means a lot.

1 person found this review helpful
  10. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Flexible, Positive, Fun Company!

Jul 21, 2022 - Specialist
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Work life balance/flexible schedule - No such thing as "micromanagement" - Amazing co-workers and leaders - SmartBug WANTS you to grow and advance your career, and will help you to do so

Cons

No company is perfect, however I have yet to find a "con".

11. 2.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Competitive pay, unreasonable workload

May 24, 2022 - Paid Media Strategist
    Business Outlook

Pros

-CEO is genuine and kind, though disconnected from the day-to-day issues -Higher-than-average salaries for experienced employees -Smart teammates -Monthly internet bill stipend provided

Cons

-Workload was completely unreasonable and offered no real work/life balance -Management did not listen to us or make any changes; we were told to stop having a "victim mentality" when we were discouraged by the endless workload (there wasn't even time in the day for a lunch break) -Anyone who doesn't manage client relationships was treated as 2nd-tier, patronized and disrespected by our peers who manage accounts, regardless of our level of expertise -No respect for boundaries or working hours

9 people found this review helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 91 Reviews
</>Embed

SmartBug Media Reviews FAQs

SmartBug Media has an overall rating of 4.4 out of 5, based on over 92 reviews left anonymously by employees. 85% of employees would recommend working at SmartBug Media to a friend and 82% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, SmartBug Media employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.9 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at SmartBug Media. This rating has improved by 1% over the last 12 months.

85% of SmartBug Media employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated SmartBug Media 4.2 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.5 for culture and values and 4.4 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at SmartBug Media to be management, senior leadership, career development and the cons to be compensation, benefits.

Popular Careers with SmartBug Media Job Seekers