SmartTalent Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Wes Williams
1 Rating

1. "Simply the best in the business!"

Current Employee - QA Technician in Mukilteo, WA
    Current Employee - QA Technician in Mukilteo, WA

I have been working at SmartTalent full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Oh my gosh I couldn't believe how wonderful the people at SmartTalent in Lynwood, WA, are! Within a few hours I had my first interview and within 24 hours I had a great job with even better pay than I dreamed of. I didn't get to work with the gentleman at this facility but I will say that you won't find better women anywhere and they are absolutely perfect in their business. Well done SmartTalent, well done indeed :-)

Cons

This business is spot on and I have no complaints in the slightest.

Advice to Management

Treat these ladies well because you won't find anyone better. They are wonderful!

2. "Best I have worked with so far..."

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Everett, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Everett, WA

I have been working at SmartTalent full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very honest, transparent and they truly care. I am glad I connected with Smart Talent.

Cons

I don't have any.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing and people like me will keep spreading the word.

3. "Tenure, tenure, tenure"

Current Employee - S&R in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - S&R in Seattle, WA

I have been working at SmartTalent full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

When recruiting for internal positions I get asked one question quite frequently. What makes SmartTalent a great place to work? There are many things I could say but the one thing that continuously impresses people is when I tell them about the culture at SmartTalent and tenure of the staff. In this industry there is a stigma of having a high turnover with internal employees and that's certainly true. It's a fast paced, stressful position and people get burnt out easily. Anyone with industry experience knows this. So when people hear that we have multiple staff members who have been here over 10 years is a huge testament to the company. There is so much room for growth even though we are a smaller organization (this year alone we have had 5 promotions)

Sure we aren't perfect but having one ex employee (who was terminated for low production) continuously writing negative reviews makes it seem like a less than stellar place to work at or for. That's not fair for the organization or management. They work hard to make their employees feel valued and appreciated so they do chose to be a part of the team long term.

I challenge anyone who wants to learn more about SmartTalent to call any one of the current team members and ask them why should I choose SmartTalent? You will receive an honest answer from any one of us.

Cons

Depending on the branch, season and client needs there are some longer hours for the recruiting team. It's an employees market at this time so it's challenging to get some positions filled timely but that's when thinking outside of the box comes in.

Advice to Management

Continue nurturing and growing and showing loyalty to your staff and they will in turn do the same!

"Toxic Workplace & Immature, Deceptive Leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

High volume of job orders to work on

Cons

- Poor, dishonest communication with clients
    - Poor, dishonest, hostile communication with internal employees (e.g., Account Managers, Recruiters, etc.)
    - Immature, hostile, dishonest behavior from owner and Branch Managers
    - Lousy bonus structure rather than individual commissions (teamwork is important, of course, but leadership's apparent difficulty with cutting dead weight honestly affected at least my personal situation with regard to my ability to earn bonuses).
    - Brutally outdated HRIS/timekeeping system and poorly constructed employee training manual for how to effectively utilize it.

Advice to Management

Not even going to waste my time with a response in this section. When I was being interviewed, I was told by the Branch Manager that the owner and managers listed to employees offering feedback or insight about various issues/problems/solutions. However, whenever I, or anyone else, ever brought up real, tangible, solvable issues, the responses from the owner and management ranged anywhere from eye-rolling and guttural groans (best case scenario) to screaming at the top of their lungs while pounding on their desk (worst case scenario, at least, that I had witnessed).

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Renton, WA
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Renton, WA

Pros

SmartTalent is a wonderful company that cares about it's employees. Management does an outstanding job with promoting growth and continued training. The culture is great and everyone is very nice and professional. SmartTalent has been the best company and I look forward to being with them for a very long time.

Cons

None, keep up the great work Management.

"Wonderful, locally owned and operated company"

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Renton, WA
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Renton, WA

I have been working at SmartTalent full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I began my SmartTalent career in 2007, and have worked as a Business Development Manager, and now as a Branch Manager for this wonderful, locally owned and operated company. At SmartTalent, every employee has infinite opportunity for professional growth and advancement. The majority of of our Branch Managers were promoted from BDM and/or recruiter positions. We are a hard-working group, but we know how to make the work day fun.

Cons

some positions require evening/weekend on call work, but it's on rotation, and typically requires minimal time.

Mar 17, 2016 – President and Managing Director

Thank you for the kind words and some insights as to life within SmartTalent. We appreciate your dedication to our internal staff, assignment employees and our clients. Your efforts do make a ... More

"one of the best places I've ever worked"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lynnwood, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lynnwood, WA

I have been working at SmartTalent full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

the ENTIRE staff is kind caring and helpful, I can't say enough good things about them
    if you are looking for work this is the place to go!!!!!

Cons

haven't experienced any

Mar 17, 2016 – President and Managing Director

Thank you for your kind words. In three years, your accomplishments and actions have made so many lives better. You truly do live our motto, "We're Going To Make Your Business Day Better!" ... More

"New employment:"

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Lynnwood, WA
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Lynnwood, WA

Pros

The team at SmartTalent has been extremely welcoming and wonderful. The incredible staff and in-depth training programs have given me a solid foundation to build upon and I am looking forward to a long and prosperous career. I only wish I had found them earlier in my search for a new employer.

Cons

Not enough time with the organization.

"Opportunity to Advance"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Lynnwood, WA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Lynnwood, WA

I have been working at SmartTalent full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Strong training program
    -Open door policy with upper management
    -Monthly bonuses based on performance
    -Your Birthday is a paid holiday

Cons

I am fairly new to the company, everyone has listened to my questions and concerned thus far. There has not been issues left unresolved.

Mar 17, 2016 – President and Managing Director

Thank you for sharing your feedback and comments. It is good to hear that so many things we try to accomplish with a new employee are, in fact, received and helping with this new transition and ... More

"Work Harder & Longer Than Ever for Less Pay than Ever"

Former Employee - Talent Specialist in Kirkland, WA
    Former Employee - Talent Specialist in Kirkland, WA

I worked at SmartTalent full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed some of the relationships I built there with co-workers as well as clients and candidates. Recruiting, in general, is very rewarding when you place the right candidate in a position they love and take care of the client at the same time. It's too bad most of your time at Smart Talent will be spent filling next jobs that pay almost minimum wage in strenuous conditions (dialing for dollars) rather than doing any actual recruiting for skilled, top talent.

Cons

The commission is very little, unless a temp worker is converted early, which as a Recruiter you don't have tons of control over. The base salary is low, and monthly commission (other than a converted contract) is a group commission, meaning the whole branch has to generate over a certain amount each month in order to earn ANY commission. Each Recruiter will therefore earn the same monthly commission, regardless of how much or little each recruiter generates. (Recruiters can freeload off each other. I made less at Smart Talent as a full cycle Recruiter than I've made in all past HR Coordinator roles, despite meeting and exceeding all minimum requirements set by management.

Pay aside, the environment is unprofessional (swearing, explosive confrontations, inappropriate music in lobby) and all technology is outdated and embarassing to use with candidates. Our mandatory online application if not done at home was done in the lobby on SmartTalent computers, which were glacially slow frustrating for candidates to get through. Recruiters are expected to use their own cell phones while on call, without SmartTalent contributing to your phone plan, They claim that if the branch earns more than a certain amount, they will contribute, but that was never reached during my time there. All interviewed candidates had to complete a hard copy application on top of the electronic one, and had to accept or reject healthcare on the spot, which is odd and awkward for someone who hasn't even agreed to work for you. So oldschool and a complete waste of paper and time.

I only worked an 8 hour day there maybe a couple times. All other days were 10+ hours, and you are on call for a week rotationally, which at a smaller branch was every 3-4 weeks. Basically you performed work sometimes at 4am, 11pm, weekends, and everywhere in between about a quarter of the month, while being salaried. You cannot have a life this way, especially while earning low pay. Recruiters are not encouraged to use their PTO, and SmartTalent has been known to call you when you finally do take it because they're not properly staffed and disasters ensue ALL the time.

This is not somewhere you should work if you have any Recruiting or HR experience, as there are SO MANY better opportunities out there for companies that actually respect their employees. I never thought I'd be cleaning bathrooms and dumping trash late every Friday night at this stage in my career (they can't afford a cleaning service); so disheartening.

Advice to Management

I would advise that this company sell itself. Any company that can only survive with treating its employes poorly, discouraging use of benefits, firing more than hiring, and skimping on technology is not a company that I would imagine can grow into the future.

Mar 8, 2016 – President and Managing Director

Thanks for your supplemental review information. Adding to your other review information, we appreciate the detailed comments about your brief time here at SmartTalent. While you are still stinging ... More