Smeco Reviews | Glassdoor

A. Joseph Slater Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Administrative Assistant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hughesville, MD

I have been working at Smeco full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits, don't have to drive to DC and 401K,

Cons

Too many supervisors, not a friendly union company

2. "Disappointed at upper mangement"

Former Employee - Customer Contact Representative in Hughesville, MD
    Former Employee - Customer Contact Representative in Hughesville, MD

I worked at Smeco part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The People there were very nice and friendly.

Cons

I was laid off, and while I have accepted that, I was disappointed that the higher up management didn't even talk with me about the situation. I feel very betrayed and slated, I feel there is a proper way to go about handling situations of this sort. This matter could have been resolved a lot better but I see this is the way the treat their employees once you are of no use to them!

Advice to Management

Assume is wrong you should take the time to speak with employees before just laying them off, it's wrong and unethical.

3. "Former employee"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Leonardtown, MD
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Leonardtown, MD

I worked at Smeco full-time

Pros

They promote health, and compensate your abilities to get healthy, but once I loss weight I was criticize and drug tested.

Cons

Not a diverse employer, prejudice and harassment is very aware.

"People were great. Management, not so much."

Former Employee - Technical Analyst - Desktop in Hughesville, MD
    Former Employee - Technical Analyst - Desktop in Hughesville, MD

I worked at Smeco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people you work with are great. The money was good as well. The company isn't afraid to spend money on things, as long as you can justify it and work in the favored departments of the company... you can have it all!

Cons

Management left something to be desired. Directors were under Managers and so one... is was just a mess of a corporate hierarchy that didn't make any sense. The department I worked for had it's hands tied because our boss had zero back-bone to stand up for us. We were hit by a lot of buses due to that! The CIO was a relic from Verizon and tried to use a flawed and failed strategy in his management of IT people. He did very well with Call Center and should have just stuck with that instead of ruining IT infrastructure. I came to Southern Maryland because I thought it would be a "good old boy, no BS" atmosphere. Instead, it was easily twice the red tape of other places I've worked and that held us back from getting things done and/or done correctly. Programmer Analyst couldn't program and procurement people didn't learn and weren't required to learn about the products they were ordering on a daily basis, one program manager didn't know how to turn his PC on or use Windows. AT ALL... the list goes on and on.

Advice to Management

Re-org!

"Great for electrical engineers or career linemen, however management has little experience leading technology gurus."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hughesville, MD

I have been working at Smeco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A nice break if your tired of commuting into the city. A good benefits portfolio.

Cons

It is a small town company that has been in business since electricity was invented. Very set in their ways. Challenging for technology professionals to direct change for the better.

Advice to Management

What if you have a middle manager who is unable or unwilling to be a leader? Who is uncomfortable being in charge and always tries to fit in with his employees? You have that now and performance is suffering tremendously because his staff does not feel he is willing to support his people.

"Best known for growing young men to seasoned linemen, SMECO has far to go in the field of I.T. management."

Current Employee - Technical Analyst in Hughesville, MD
    Current Employee - Technical Analyst in Hughesville, MD

I have been working at Smeco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, close to home. Tuition reimbursement.

Cons

I don't feel comfortable bringing concerns to my supervisor or to human resources. There is too much of a good ol boy network to cover each other when someone complains. My supervisor lacks most if not all people management skills.

Advice to Management

Take a good look at why there is such turnover in half the I.T. department.

"Great place to work, buts breed complacency"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hughesville, MD

Pros

There are many great people that work here. Benefits are better that most other places in the area and is a very stable place to work for.

Cons

Upper management is so scared of political correctness, that the company as a whole suffers for it. Coupling this with far-reaching employee policies, productivity is severely hampered. The union is structured so that incompetent employess are rewarded the same as great employees. The biggest blow to all employees is taking away the pension, which is the biggest reason to work here versus somewhere else with higher pay.

Advice to Management

Force productivity out of your workforce by creating a reward structure for your top performers, not just lip service (i.e. carrot awards).

"Not good for long-term employment; good if you want a short-term local salary that is one of the best in the area."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hughesville, MD

Pros

Good pay, good benefits. Company has good reputation with most local businesses, so working there will probably be good for your resume.

Cons

Managed too heavily on personal feelings of managment rather than on facts. Many long-time employees have been quiting and retiring in recent years, which most people would feel is not a good sign.

Advice to Management

Provide fair and equal treatment for all employees, not only those higher up the rungs of the professional ladder.

"FAVORITISM"

Former Employee - NONE
    Former Employee - NONE

Pros

Too much favoritism. A good company, but they don't seem to understand that showing favoritism is the main ingredient for employee dissatisfaction and low morale.

Cons

The very worst thing a company or Leader can do is to show favoritism. I have spoken with several (including family members who work for SMECO. It appears that FAVORITISM ABOUNDS! Where is the leadershipl...seems the union runs SMECO and makes HR decisions. Again, where is the SMECO leadership?

Advice to Management

Put an end to FAVORITISM and let the morale of the employees do a good job. Placing employees in positions because they are friends with the right people destroys morale, confidence and makes for an inefficient organization.

"Must be Tough as Nails"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

Pros

Health Benefits
    401K
    Pay Rate
    Equipment
    Security systems
    Safety training
    Health fairs
    Training opportunities
    Locations

Cons

Tenure employees
    Complicated Business Processes
    Management should be there, not everywhere else
    Promote based on ability, not time in company

Advice to Management

Simplification goes a long way. Cut out 50% of the paper and spreadsheets. Offer buyouts to 25+ year veterans!