Smule Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.2
Jeff Smith

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • People are really nice and supportive (in 3 reviews)

• Amazing culture, great benefits, no politics (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • 401K matching would have been nice (in 4 reviews)

• benefits was below the usual median, not many healthcare options, no 401k match (in 3 reviews)

"Best Place I've Ever Worked"

I have been working at Smule full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

• Awesome, awesome team. I've worked at a bunch of places with people who are bright, creative, fun and friendly, but none so much as here, where they are stocked like fish in a pond. I have also never encountered any a******s in 3 years here.
    • The company is run in an amazingly transparent fashion, as far as it goes. They have weekly “dashboards”, and will reveal far more about the inner workings, plans, and numbers of the company than most companies would ever tell their employees. I like that we’re treated as adults.
    • Lots of great catered food. Be careful not to gain weight here.
    • Work/life balance is great for me and my department. (I have occasionally heard complaints from others elsewhere in the company on this front.)
    • WFH once a week (Thursdays)
    • The company feels like it has a mission greater than just making money, and a culture that appreciates the intellectual and artistic side of life. Here’s an example: the CEO, Jeff Smith, teaches two classes on Music Theory (one beginning and one intermediate) every fall. Each class is held once every other week for a few weeks, before the start of the workday. The classes are voluntary, but give an idea of the company’s culture. How often do you encounter CEOs and companies where something like that happens?
    • If you like music, this company is for you. Try not to trip on any musical instruments, amps or cables.

Cons

No job or company is perfect, so...
    • My first 2 years here were great. This past year got a little rocky in my department for various reasons, but even here, there’s a positive. I feel like Smule listened and is striving to set things right, and some improvements have already been made.
    • Diversity could be better. This is an industry-wide issue though, not specific to Smule. I think they are trying to work on it, and I don’t know of a magic fix.
    • I worry a little that as the company continues to grow, the fun and irreverent culture might fade. The biggest danger here is a drip-drip introduction of petty little rules which reduce that culture, but do little or nothing to improve productivity. I feel there have been a couple of instances of that lately in my department. First World problem, but still...

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

Oct 11, 2017 – Sr. HR Generalist

Thank you for your feedback! I am glad you notice the supportive culture we are trying to encourage here. We are lucky to have you as an employee and appreciate your years of service. Thank you for... More

"Great vibe"

I have been working at Smule full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Bunch of very smart people who work hard but don't take themselves too seriously.

Cons

Open office plan with small desks.

Oct 11, 2017 – Sr. HR Generalist

Thanks for your feedback! We appreciate your years of service.

3. "Connecting the world through music!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Rare to find a company that brings people together to create music but also makes money.

Cons

You have to be able to adapt well to change in order to thrive here.

Oct 11, 2017 – Sr. HR Generalist

Thank you for your review! We appreciate your hard work and dedication.

"A Fun Place to Work with Fantastic Culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Smule full-time

Pros

Fun Place to Work - Everyday there is something new and exciting to look forward too. Each month there is a "Happy Hour" scheduled and the Happiness Team does an extraordinary job planning to bring everyone together.
    Culture - Every job is not perfect. You are going to have personalities that don't mesh well. Here it is hard to find that. Everyone works well together. Teamwork is abound and its nice to feel like you can depend on someone when things get wonky.
    Food - Incredible! Each day there is a different meal type to look forward to. The Happiness Crew makes it a point to really hit all dietary needs.
    Music - its not uncommon when working late to listen to a jam in the middle of the floor with the grand piano, guitars, drums provided for music lovers.

Cons

As with every job there are cons. Company is growing and management is having a hard time adjusting. Before we were a small team and now more are joining. Management has started moving into setting up "rules". When we were a smaller team, culture was more open and expressive. Now that the company is growing we are experiencing these changes and its confusing. Would like more open communication from management when changes occur so no surprises. Am hoping the culture doesn't change too much because that is why everyone works well together. Too much restriction can cause uncertainty and eventually good people may leave.

Advice to Management

Please try not to become too restrictive. Setting rules can damage trust and cause people to withdraw. The more open communication the better. Keep that up!

Sep 11, 2017 – Sr. HR Generalist

Thank you for your feedback! I am glad you notice the talented and supportive culture we are trying to cultivate here. We are lucky to have you as an employee and appreciate your honest advice.

"Awesome company to work for and grow with!"

I have been working at Smule full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Great work environment!
    -Amazing group of super talented hard working individuals!
    -Huge opportunity to learn and grow within the company!
    -Reasonable salaries/compensations/benefits (compared to other similar companies).
    - Open and clear communications regarding companies current standing and future plans and goals.
    -Very interesting and unique company culture.
    -Lot of entertainment monthly and yearly for big holidays.

Cons

401K matching would have been nice.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! :)

Sep 11, 2017 – Sr. HR Generalist

Thank you for noticing all the things that make Smule amazing! We appreciate your hard work and dedication and for your years of service. Keep it up!

"promising business and supportive coworkers!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Smule full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- People are really nice and supportive
    - Healthy cashflow and good growth momentum
    - Talented teams and great working attitude

Cons

need more clarity and focus on strategy

Advice to Management

try to take more intelligent risks

Sep 11, 2017 – Sr. HR Generalist

Thank you for your feedback! I am glad you notice the talented and supportive culture we are trying to cultivate here. We appreciate your honesty!

"Great team"

Current Employee - Mobile Developer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Mobile Developer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Smule full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mixed team with lots of musicians. Great end user satisfaction

Cons

Talking about IPO for a long time, but no action

Advice to Management

Stop picking on small things, it just backfire

"Great Job!"

I have been working at Smule full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smule is a really nice place to work. You come in and most times get greeted by the most loving doggies, yes, you read correctly. Employees can bring their dogs to work, how awesome is that! Everyone is so helpful and kind. It has a real family atmosphere.

Cons

Too much good food and wonderfully catered lunches by an awesome office manager, who is also our happiness director!!!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Sep 1, 2017 – VP of Talent

I am guessing you love dogs?? Thrilled you are working at Smule, thrilled you are loving the catering and culture. Thanks for being here.

"diverse, amazing culture, and great intelligent minds"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Smule full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

amazing culture, great food program, dog friendly, flexible schedule, all kinds of instruments, and dynamic and agile work place

Cons

maybe that it's very hard to say no to food?

Aug 30, 2017 – VP of Talent

Thanks for giving us 5 years of your time. I am glad you appreciate all the things that make Smule great. And, sorry (not sorry) about all the food here- however, we do have yoga classes! :)

"A great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Smule full-time (More than a year)

Pros

2 years later and I still feel so lucky to work here! Smule forces me to be the best version of myself me and constantly pushes me to grow. We are encouraged to help each other and teach each other along the way. There is always something new and exciting to work on and the benefits and perks are extremely generous.

Cons

If you can't roll with the punches and adapt to new processes, you might not enjoy the environment here.

Aug 29, 2017 – VP of Talent

We are even luckier to have employees like you! Thanks for working so hard.