Sourcebooks Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Customer Care"

Current Employee - Customer Care in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Care in Naperville, IL

I have been working at Sourcebooks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

After working many years in a customer service roll, whether it was in retail or restaurant . I can honestly say that this job is way more different and less stressful; you don't have micro managers, your allowed to be nice to the customer, take as much time as you Ned with them to make sure that the customer 8s satisfied.

Can in see myself her years down the line, growing with this company.... yessssss. As any small business you have to put in the work to make the company grow. With that being said more positions will open up and hopefully I will be in that position one day.

Cons

I truly have no cons when dealing with this company. I've only been here a year thus far and I can honestly say it's been pretty darn good.

Advice to Management

None at all, actually Tha management that I deal with day to day treats us extremely well.

2. "A special place - full of passion"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL

I have been working at Sourcebooks full-time

Pros

This is a high-energy company where the people really love books and reading. There are a ton of opportunities to get work outside of your role in helping books succeed, and we celebrate success. For example, there is a drum that gets banged when major accomplishments happen and the management team recognizes every person who was apart of that success. You get really big discounts on books, there are a lot of parties during the day (including some with champagne), and the people here are really, really nice. The health insurance is good and not expensive, and people, at least in my department, feel like they are well-paid. They really make a big deal of people's anniversaries who have been here a while - parties, gifts, and everything.

Cons

I read a lot of the reviews on here, and I get it. This isn't a good fit for everybody. The expectations are really high, and the priorities do change often. The CEO absolutely can be hard to work with. But...I've worked here for a while, and I know she genuinely cares for her employees and her challenges come from a relentless pursuit of big impact and innovation. She drives hard, drives the employees hard, and drives herself even harder. There are a ton of people who have been here for 5, 10, 15, even 20+ years (and the company isn't that old). That doesn't happen without mutual respect and a workplace that is satisfying - professionally and personally. As for real cons, the ones I think you'd notice are that there are not as many days off as other companies (not a huge deal), advancement opportunities can be somewhat limiting in a few departments because it is still a small-ish business (100+ employees), and if you live in Chicago, the commute can be a bear.

Advice to Management

Have more day-to-day awareness of the fact that we do push really hard and that we also want to accomplish big things. Periodic recognition is great, but its in the day-to-day that we'd probably feel it more. We are in this with you!

"Exciting Opportunity, Toxic Environment"

Former Employee - Editor in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Editor in Naperville, IL

I worked at Sourcebooks (More than a year)

Pros

Only trade publisher in Chicago area.

Cons

Dictator-like CEO
    No work/life balance
    No room for growth

Advice to Management

Learn to value your employees, and offer them some reason to want to stay.

"Really, the best place you've ever worked?"

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Naperville, IL

I worked at Sourcebooks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are good opportunities for building your portfolio and you get to touch a lot of things. They are a growing company and are working on expanding their company. They have good health insurance. Depending on your position its a lower stress environment.

Cons

They pay you next to nothing and expect you to work 40+ hours without overtime pay. I had to work two jobs just to live on my own. I was constantly micro-managed and told that if i needed to work a few extra hours after work to get a job done that was perfectly fine. I'm sure that was perfectly fine for the upper management who would work when they felt like it. Half the time I couldn't even get ahold of my manager when I needed to because they didn't respond to email and was rarely in their office so I would constantly get yelled at for things not being done and when I did do something without their blessing I would also get yelled at so it was no win situation.

Along with all that the turnover rate is insane. In my first year over 20 people left. The next few years it was higher. In just the month that I left over 10 people left the company. Many found better pay and others decided freelancing would pay them better than Sourcebooks.

Lastly, anyone who says its the best place to work was clearly asked by the company to put up that review in order to bring up their ratings.

Advice to Management

If you are going to put your company in a town with an average household income of 6 figures you should learn how to pay your employees what they deserve. With all the growth and opportunities you talk about you should be able to make your employees feel valued and not like work horses.

6. "Great company with tons of growth opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL

I have been working at Sourcebooks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Best place I've ever worked. Here's some of what I like:
    - Innovative company
    - Great team environment
    - Passionate people
    - Interesting projects
    - Small company so you can make an impact
    - Chances to develop your own "career"
    - Clear and transparent company goals

Having worked for a number other companies, I just wanted to say how refreshing it is to have a company that speaks to its employees, and asks for feedback, and then makes changes. This dialogue isn't typical and I really appreciate it. For example, we have a meeting every couple of months to talk about how the company is doing, what we're all working on together and the accomplishments we've had (it's called Breakthrough). You can see the opportunities we've created for ourselves and the plans we have for where we want to go in the future.

Cons

There is a lot of change in the book industry now, which means constant change trying to keep up with new processes, books, programs, departments, etc. This can be a little overwhelming for a new-hire, but you get used to going with the flow as you become more familiar with your position and working with your team.

Advice to Management

I appreciate the communication and the commitment.

"Love it! Great culture. Great people. Lots of opportunity."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL

I have been working at Sourcebooks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Been at Sourcebooks for over 5 years. It's been an amazing experience. The company has changed a lot as they've worked to evolve a new kind of book publishing business. If you love books, this is a great place to be. Lots of new ideas (some of which don't work...which can be frustrating). Lots of amazing people. The best job I've ever had. There's a tremendous amount of opportunity and I love that. My job has changed a lot as the company has tried new things and evolved in new ways.

Cons

This is a fast moving, growing business, which is really rare in the book business. I think sometimes people say they want change and want to grow, and actually don't. They want to do exactly what they've been doing in the same way they've been doing it. If that's you, this will not be a good fit.

Advice to Management

Love learning about all the ways that the company is growing and expanding! Thanks!!

"A bit of a mixed bag"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aurora, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aurora, IL

I have been working at Sourcebooks (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you prefer independence, this is a great place to start. Learning the publishing process through each of the departments is great, and the people are extremely friendly. Offers a lot of ways to collaborate, but not all opportunities are followed up on.

Cons

Growth within the company is largely dependent on your manager. It's hard to branch out without their support, which is sometimes hard to gain. And while the CEO values company transparency, it doesn't always trickle down through the rest of the management team. Each department works together differently, but there isn't much of a "team" mentality and the workload can sometimes be overwhelming. There seems to be a huge disconnect between people who have many years' experience within the company, and new hires who often have a high turnover.

"Mixed bag indeed"

Current Employee - Freelance Graphic Designer in Oswego, IL
    Current Employee - Freelance Graphic Designer in Oswego, IL

I have been working at Sourcebooks (Less than a year)

Pros

A lot of great young talent there. Most of the lower managers are great to work for. The company is experiencing great success due to the great work by the employees. I was there as a freelancer and wanted to stay on but I wasn't valued even though I made a huge contribution to their top lines of merchandise which turned into a huge hit.

Cons

BUT the company doesn't pay the regulars enough and there seems to be a revolving door there. Could benefit from better management. The company is getting a bad reputation. Hard work is not valued by upper management.

Advice to Management

Rethink your higher management. I've been in this business 26 years and I've seen this movie before. Your foresight is not good.

"Toxic Micromanagement, Leadership Without a Clue"

I have been working at Sourcebooks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cool industry to work in

Cons

Toxic work environment, micromanagement, ineffective and incompetent managers and directors

Advice to Management

Actually pay attention to what you are doing. Understand that not everyone is going to conform and act the way you do. Become educated on the projects you expect your employees to complete. Stop relying on 3rd party interests over your own employees.

"The worst employee experience I've ever had."

I have been working at Sourcebooks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good to put on your resume. The company is growing.

Cons

The challenges of working at Sourcebooks: office location, insane workloads, uneven policies amongst employees / offices, departments are understaffed, employees are underpaid, blatant favoritism, micromanagement from the top down, little time off, minimal flexibility, expensive health insurance, complete loss of work / life balance, high turnover rates, zero training for incoming staff, management's inability to communicate expectations, and a CEO who has the entire office walking on eggshells every day.

My advice to potential candidates, should they choose to work for Sourcebooks, is to only work in the NYC or Connecticut offices. Those offices boast a much nicer place to work, a better work / life balance, and flexibility. The Naperville office is dysfunctional and disrespectful to its employees.

Advice to Management

You have a lot of people working really, really hard for you who love your mission and want to help get great books on the market. The turnover here sky high because employees feel beaten down every day while going above and beyond the call of duty to tackle huge workloads. My advice to you: can the favoritism, let all of your employees work under the same office policies, compensate your staff fairly for the hours they put in and the wonderful work they do, give your staff some real time off, and promote people appropriately. The ratio of managers to actual staff at Sourcebooks is insane, and promotions are either lateral or long overdue.