Sourcebooks Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Dominique Raccah

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Not a great place to develop your career"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL

I worked at Sourcebooks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company is doing great things, lots of talented people.

Cons

Management does not treat people fairly, and they pay poorly for most roles. Despite saying they are open to change, they are not, and prefer to work using old school, manual methods.

"Manipulation At Its Finest!"

Former Employee - Marketing Employee in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Marketing Employee in Naperville, IL

I worked at Sourcebooks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Sourcebooks has published many great books over the years.

Cons

It's an illusion! It looks great from the outside, but once in the inside it's a disaster! The CEO is not a nice person, she berates, talks down upon anyone that does not agree with her or (accidentally) proves her wrong. Her own mistakes fall upon the person that is not in her good graces at the moment, and her ego is fed by her notorious sidekick. Her offensive behavior has made some of her MVPs physically ill and the non-stop gossip about her is amongst upper management seems to be all they can focus on. She actually wouldn't be where she is today without her dedicated robots that where actually asked to cover up any bad posts about her on this very site. She is a control addict that tries to control her staff and will threaten them if they do not conform to her requests. Another con- inappropriate banter in the workplace. These older men are either overly nice or actually flirt with us younger females. My manager shared too much about her conversations with her superiors.

Advice to Management

Act like the senior level employees you are. You probably shouldn't encourage drinking (alcohol) at work, than letting your employees drive home, not to mention the fact that alcoholism is a huge epidemic and it is not only inappropriate, it's very selfish to flaunt it around or make people drink that have had an issue or don't drink to begin with. The staff has a life outside of work. If you let them enjoy that more, maybe people would enjoy working at this drill camp a little more.

"Work hard and then move on"

I worked at Sourcebooks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun projects, good reputation, talented people. You can learn a lot here, and then you can move on to something better.

Cons

The reputation does not match up to the experience. Lots of infighting between management and continual high stress. Company burns through employees rather than fostering growth. Not much cooperation and no work-life balance. HR managers keep quitting.

Advice to Management

It's actually more efficient to encourage the employees you have rather than maintaining a revolving door. True leadership doesn't come by title or authority.

4. "Creative Manager - Simple Truths"

I worked at Sourcebooks full-time

Pros

Innovative thinking in a old industry. Strives to be current and up-to-date in every way. Driven and committed environment.

Cons

Quite. Small lunch room. Limited parking.

Advice to Management

Keep up drum bangs and breakthrough meetings.

"Innovative company with a great culture and passionate people"

Pros

The company is very innovative and is filled with the entrepreneurial spirit. The CEO's passion is contagious and energizing. Employees are challenged and encouraged to grow in their careers.

Cons

Very heavy workload, poor work-life balance, employees may sometimes feel under-appreciated.

Advice to Management

Lighten employees' workloads so they can maintain healthier work-life balances. Eliminate some of the work that can be produced quickly but which only produces short-term benefits in order to allow more time for employees to work on more complex strategies that may take longer to implement, but would reap more benefits in the long run.

"freelancer"

Pros

enthusiastic approach to publishing and a lot of cool people

Cons

seems like a lot of turnover with the aptitude for high stress

7. "Customer Care"

Current Employee - Customer Care in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Care in Naperville, IL

I have been working at Sourcebooks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

After working many years in a customer service roll, whether it was in retail or restaurant . I can honestly say that this job is way more different and less stressful; you don't have micro managers, your allowed to be nice to the customer, take as much time as you Ned with them to make sure that the customer 8s satisfied.

Can in see myself her years down the line, growing with this company.... yessssss. As any small business you have to put in the work to make the company grow. With that being said more positions will open up and hopefully I will be in that position one day.

Cons

I truly have no cons when dealing with this company. I've only been here a year thus far and I can honestly say it's been pretty darn good.

Advice to Management

None at all, actually Tha management that I deal with day to day treats us extremely well.

8. "A special place - full of passion"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL

I have been working at Sourcebooks full-time

Pros

This is a high-energy company where the people really love books and reading. There are a ton of opportunities to get work outside of your role in helping books succeed, and we celebrate success. For example, there is a drum that gets banged when major accomplishments happen and the management team recognizes every person who was apart of that success. You get really big discounts on books, there are a lot of parties during the day (including some with champagne), and the people here are really, really nice. The health insurance is good and not expensive, and people, at least in my department, feel like they are well-paid. They really make a big deal of people's anniversaries who have been here a while - parties, gifts, and everything.

Cons

I read a lot of the reviews on here, and I get it. This isn't a good fit for everybody. The expectations are really high, and the priorities do change often. The CEO absolutely can be hard to work with. But...I've worked here for a while, and I know she genuinely cares for her employees and her challenges come from a relentless pursuit of big impact and innovation. She drives hard, drives the employees hard, and drives herself even harder. There are a ton of people who have been here for 5, 10, 15, even 20+ years (and the company isn't that old). That doesn't happen without mutual respect and a workplace that is satisfying - professionally and personally. As for real cons, the ones I think you'd notice are that there are not as many days off as other companies (not a huge deal), advancement opportunities can be somewhat limiting in a few departments because it is still a small-ish business (100+ employees), and if you live in Chicago, the commute can be a bear.

Advice to Management

Have more day-to-day awareness of the fact that we do push really hard and that we also want to accomplish big things. Periodic recognition is great, but its in the day-to-day that we'd probably feel it more. We are in this with you!

"Exciting Opportunity, Toxic Environment"

Former Employee - Editor in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Editor in Naperville, IL

I worked at Sourcebooks (More than a year)

Pros

Only trade publisher in Chicago area.

Cons

Dictator-like CEO
    No work/life balance
    No room for growth

Advice to Management

Learn to value your employees, and offer them some reason to want to stay.

"Really, the best place you've ever worked?"

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Naperville, IL

I worked at Sourcebooks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are good opportunities for building your portfolio and you get to touch a lot of things. They are a growing company and are working on expanding their company. They have good health insurance. Depending on your position its a lower stress environment.

Cons

They pay you next to nothing and expect you to work 40+ hours without overtime pay. I had to work two jobs just to live on my own. I was constantly micro-managed and told that if i needed to work a few extra hours after work to get a job done that was perfectly fine. I'm sure that was perfectly fine for the upper management who would work when they felt like it. Half the time I couldn't even get ahold of my manager when I needed to because they didn't respond to email and was rarely in their office so I would constantly get yelled at for things not being done and when I did do something without their blessing I would also get yelled at so it was no win situation.

Along with all that the turnover rate is insane. In my first year over 20 people left. The next few years it was higher. In just the month that I left over 10 people left the company. Many found better pay and others decided freelancing would pay them better than Sourcebooks.

Lastly, anyone who says its the best place to work was clearly asked by the company to put up that review in order to bring up their ratings.

Advice to Management

If you are going to put your company in a town with an average household income of 6 figures you should learn how to pay your employees what they deserve. With all the growth and opportunities you talk about you should be able to make your employees feel valued and not like work horses.