Southern Light Reviews | Glassdoor

4.4
Andy Newton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great"

I have been working at Southern Light full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great work environment. hard working and fun

Cons

I just have to write five words here

2. "Great company. Will give you back as much as you put in."

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Mobile, AL
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Mobile, AL

I worked at Southern Light full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hard-working culture and great family-feel. You will learn a lot while you work there. Health/Dental/Retirement benefits are great. They let you try a lot of new stuff if you want to. The companies knows how to work hard and play as well. Annual Crawfish boils, random offices breakfast/cook-outs, and the yearly party were always a lot of fun. Made the feel like another family. People are really nice.

Cons

Smaller staff than most places so you wear a lot of hats and the hours can be long a lot of the time. It can hard to disconnect because of the company's barrage of emails you get every day at all hours of the day and night. Pay is a little lower, but in part that's the area.

Advice to Management

Try to cut down on all the email noise, hundreds of emails a day is a lot for anybody to deal with and do their job. A review of what triggers an automatic email every year would probably be a good policy.

Try to retain that family-feel as the company gets bigger. That's one of the reasons I stayed withe company as long as I did. It felt like a family. A loud, sometimes crazy family, but a family nonetheless.

3. "This used to be a great company, but politics and 'the good old boy' mentality has put it in a huge downward spiral."

Current Employee - Technician
    Current Employee - Technician

I have been working at Southern Light full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The job in itself is rewarding and fulfilling. A lot to learn in the telecommunications field if you have the aptitude and ability to retain technical skills.

Cons

Where to start.....this used to be a great place to work, but upper management, at least in my department, has made this an almost unbearable place to work. Micromanagement at it's best. Don't dare to work any overtime in our department or you will feel the wrath. Now feel free to work all the hours needed, but only if you are on salary. If an emergency comes up and they need you to work over the normal 8 hours, you will be asked, or rather told, to take off the end of the week, even though you had no plans to do so. Oh, this also eliminates any overtime pay so now that 16 hour day is straight time. And even though you are off at their demand to avoid any OT and not on call, you better answer your phone if they call you or at the very least you are threatened to be fired. Constant threats of being fired, CONSTANT. The most knowledgeable people who were here for years have all began jumping ship. Don't have an opinion or think for yourself, just be a 'yes' man and you will be ok. The leadership, especially all the way to the top in my department, is a joke. No leadership, no mentoring, just a couple 'good ole boys' looking out for themselves at the expense of everybody in the department.

Advice to Management

Wouldn't matter, they would never take any advice. Look hard at upper management, they are driving this company in the ground. We used to have a good reputation in the industry. Ask around now.

"Would Recommend"

I worked at Southern Light full-time

Pros

Southern Light has incredible people, the company and industry has incredible potential for growth, management understands work life balance, and there are good benefits that are offered.

Cons

There are not that many downsides to working for Southern Light. I would say that since they are still a growing company, they don't see salaries as that big of an investment since they are worried about so many other "growing pains" of the company. Higher salaries really give the employee a sense of meaning and could lead to higher pride in their work.

Advice to Management

Management did a great job of listening to what could be improved in the company. I would recommend sending out a survey every six months to ask the employees for new ideas, what can be improved on, etc.

"Wonderful team accomplishing amazing things!"

Pros

Southern Light is an incredible place. You can feel the energy when you talk to the people here. We're a family. We are constantly taking on huge projects, and everyone sticks together and owns their responsibilities. I love coming to work.

Cons

Sometimes it seems like the big projects never end. I guess that's a good thing, too.

Advice to Management

I love working here. Please don't let this company turn into a "big corporation" with lots of management layers and bureaucracy.

6. "Manager"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Mobile, AL
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Mobile, AL

I worked at Southern Light full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

More opportunities than the average company to learn and have a chance to wear numerous hats. Most co-workers are great people, it’s not until you get into upper management that you will find the real filth in the company.

Cons

Fast growing company that has resulted in numerous managers being in over their head. There’s an overwhelming feeling of having to always run a political campaign, one-upping co-workers and taking credit for work that someone else did is common practice.

Advice to Management

Allow for all employees to review their managers anonymously. The director of the department I worked in was an absentee leader, this resulted in no accountability for the managers in the department.

"Great Company with an Amazing Culture"

Pros

Unique Corporate Culture, Opportunities for Internal Promotion, and Young Vibrant Workforce

Cons

Irregular Work Hours During Network Maintenance

"Amazing Group of People!"

I have been working at Southern Light full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is full of amazing people in every department that make working here fun. But each employee also knows how to work hard and commit to making the company great. A fantastic overall environment.

Cons

We're still small, so the pressure of meeting deadlines and constantly exceeding expectations can create a lot of stress sometimes and force some people to work a lot of overtime.

Advice to Management

Let's continue to push our limits! But let's also remember where we started and try not to ever lose the small company feel. Each department should feel like a family!

9. "Couldn't imagine a better place to work!"

Current Employee - Finance Manager in Mobile, AL
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in Mobile, AL

I have been working at Southern Light full-time

Pros

Southern Light has a great, close-knit environment. Coworkers are treated as family. The culture is friendly and casual. As a new mother, I greatly appreciate the flexibility and understanding I receive from all levels throughout the company. Southern Light works to keep employees satisfied in their roles and daily tasks. We have great benefits with competitive salaries. I honestly could not imagine a better place to work.

Cons

The company is growing at a rapid pace. That much change may be scary to some.

10. "Network Engineer"

I have been working at Southern Light part-time

Pros

Excellent place to learn and develop.

Cons

Budding company can be a bit much to handle at times.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.