Southwest Key Programs Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
Juan Sanchez

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good benefits, good environment, good entry level career path (in 8 reviews)

• Working with kids also is pretty fun when you take them in outings (in 3 reviews)

1. "Case Aide"

Current Employee - Case Aide in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Case Aide in Houston, TX

I have been working at Southwest Key Programs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, good environment, good entry level career path.

Cons

Favoritism among people in all departments.

Advice to Management

Be transparent on everything that could potentially affect employees.

2. "The Companies Social Services for the Kids is amazing, the Corporate side not so much."

I have been working at Southwest Key Programs full-time

Pros

The company it's self provides a crucial service that can create very rewarding experiences in the social service field.

Cons

The biggest issue is communication issues, The company will roll out new policies and procedures with out properly explaining any of it to the local programs.

Unequal pay for the exact same positions at different Programs with in the same city. For example one program will be budgeted to pay 15.00 for a position and a program a few miles away pays 17.00 for the same position.

3. "Nota trustworthy company"

Former Employee - Clinician in Brownsville, TX
    Former Employee - Clinician in Brownsville, TX

I worked at Southwest Key Programs full-time

Pros

Helping others, great ex coworkers team

Cons

For starters, I should write that Southwest Key Programs is a company with a positive mision and purpose. Unfortunately, it is also, a company were inexperienced and non professional people are the bosses, managers and directors. I was part of the people who were laid off on May 19, 2017. I was working in a huge and new shelter in Brownsville, Texas. The layoff process itself was an extremely troubled one. People who were layoff were treated like criminals and as if we were guilty of something we still cannot identify. That day, as we entered the shelter's doors, the management people asked us to stay in a section of the cafeteria area and to wait. After a while, they started reading our names from a list in front of all the other employess. There was no sense of humanity, no empathy and no consideration for our emotions and much less for our wellbeing. I personally know people who were recruited while they were working for other companies,for the government and even from out of state, mostly professionals who left their jobs to follow the empty promises SWKey presented to them. I have spoken with many professionals, specifically people who were in the so called "Clinician" position, like I was. To be a clinician you must have a master's degree in a social work, mental, behavioral or social sciences area. I know, ex coworkers who were hired for this position and have master's or doctoral degrees plus more than 7 or 8 years of experience. I also know about people in management positions who were demoted and with a big cut in their salaries, without mentioning the big emotional and economical burden changes like this include. The company washed it's hands using the excuse that the employees who were laid off were the newer ones, but truth said, that was a lie. There are people with less years in the company, less professional education and less experience who were promoted, while others with more experience and knowledge, were demoted. It was like a chess game were one player (the company) move the horse, king and queen without following any rules but winning the game eitherway.
    Well, there is much more information I could write about the layoffs, but I want to change the subject to the present situation and work environment. I keep in contact with some of my excoworkers and sadly, it appears that after the layoffs the working environment has been worse than ever. People are been force to complete tasks that are outside the scope of their job description and that does not have anything to do with their positions in the facility. For example, clinicians and case managers are serving as ëscorts". To clarify, the bosses at the workplace assigned these tasks in which the worker (remember clinicians and case managers) have a radio and if outside the company workers come by to complete physical/construction/painting/electricity works, the clinician/case manager has to leave their daily tasks to follow the workers wherever they go during the time it takes them to complete the job. It could be 10 minutes or in most cases, it could take hours. It appears that it is more important to follow the out of the company workers all over the place, than to look for the wellbeing of the clients being served. Well, I won't write more...I wanted to leave the reader with just a light idea of what happens inside the facilities of Southwest Key on Brownsville, Texas. I do not want to finish without mentioning that the company is also a big liar. For out of state clinicians, they offer that if he/she voluntarily chooses to work weekends, they woul benefit from a salary raise. The company did not keet that promise either. They even organized a meeting with a woman from Human Resources, and she tried to change the information stating that the salary raise was a bonus; if it was a bonus what it means is that it was optional for the company to give it or not. That way, she changed the salary raise to a bonus and the company liberated itself from having to comply with what they offered to the out of state employees. Again,employees being defeated and subjects of the company lies. I mostly wrote about the situation with clinicians because that is the position to which I can relate the most meaning that I was one. I would love to have positive things to say about this company, because when I was recruited, I started with energy, positive vibes and really wanted to help others doing what I know. Sadly, it was not my experience and the colorful painting the company recruiter presented to me, turned out to be completely false.

Advice to Management

Change the APD, focus more on your mission and vision, value your professional employees because they are in a difficult hiring position and once you loose them you won't find them so easily

"Vampire leadership. The worst."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasant Hill, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasant Hill, CA

I worked at Southwest Key Programs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The population is very interesting. You never know if they are just telling lies to get asylum but the youths stories are really intense.

Cons

Director is a complete control freak. Leadership is extremely conservative and ignorant to LGTBQ youths rights. Director will micromanage you. Your supervisor will not protect you as they are scared that they will get fired, because they fire people who stand up to him. They will never pay you what you are worth and there is ZERO room for advancement. Most of the co-workers there are so tired of working there that they will talk negatively about you if you try to help the youth. They leadership say they care about kids but they only care about money and power.

Advice to Management

none you will never take it. But my advice to the ORR the funding source is that you do an investigation regarding the way they treat LGTBQ youth in this program.

Juan sanchez is really creepy and this organization treats him like a king.

5. "Case Management"

I have been working at Southwest Key Programs full-time

Pros

Being able to help others.

Cons

Not able to work full 40 hours because the organization wants to avoid overtime. Current lay offs. Lack of communication

6. "Clinician"

Pros

Pay ontime, good medical insurance.

Cons

Low Pay around $46,000. When numbers get down.

Advice to Management

Pay salary more competitive.

7. "Great Mission & Company!"

Current Employee - Program Director in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Program Director in Austin, TX

I have been working at Southwest Key Programs full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great CEO, great mission, great staff, loved to work with all the students!

Cons

A lot is expected of you. Sometimes, staff turnover is inevitable and you're expected to pickup the slack, as expected, but it can get overwhelming, since the funding isn't great, which means salaries aren't great. We often had many 1st year teachers, which presented problems, and after 1-2 years, they'd move on.

Advice to Management

Overall, you'll love the job, but low funding levels can make it challenging.

8. "Youth Care Worker"

Former Employee - Youth Care Worker in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Youth Care Worker in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Southwest Key Programs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You are helping kids. You made a few good friends. If you are intelligent you can learn so much online in the training and this training will help you in the future if you want to work with kids. Save the certification please.

Cons

gossip, low salary and when you need your vacation, that you accumulate, they give to you what they want, no what you have a right.

Advice to Management

Really appreciate and respect all levels of workers. Give them the opportunity to grow, do not put your friends or family in the position where they do not have experience.

9. "Clinician"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Southwest Key Programs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Help the minors and their families and observe the change in their lifes.

Cons

Total desorganization. Directors and supervisors witouth any knowledge of what they doing. Most of the time is working in front of the computer doing the same thing in a repetitive way or in meetings. The department noted separated. Too much work, stressful, unrecognized and in a unfriendly place for the paid. Preferences with particular employees.

Advice to Management

This advice its not to the management is more for the CEO. Please send representatives or visit the centers. Talk with the employees not with the Directors and please take actions for the best of the company.

10. "Clinician"

I have been working at Southwest Key Programs full-time

Pros

Free medical insurance, good pay, support from co workers

Cons

Smaller shelters are more demanding, high turnover due to managers/burnout. Low PTO (6.5) and Sick hours (4 month)