Springbox Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tom West

1. "Unlike Anywhere Else"

Current Employee - Director of Optimization in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Director of Optimization in Austin, TX

I have been working at Springbox full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Extremely open to innovation, and I mean TRUE innovation. SBX is not siloed, fosters an environment of transparency, and has an all-hands on deck approach to help each other succeed.

Cons

Too many snacks - I can't control my urges! All kidding aside, salary needs to be more competitive; otherwise, SBX risks prematurely losing incredible talent.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to each other and remember that you are always setting an example so keep up the great work.

Springbox Response

Aug 19, 2016 – Manager People Operations

Thank you for the great feedback! We are looking at all angels to recruit and retain the best talent and appreciate your input!

"A good place to grow."

I worked at Springbox full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are the three things that make Springbox a great place to work: the people (and their dogs), the culture, and the breadth of work.

Springboxers are engaging, outgoing, inclusive, and smart people. Despite the recent growth, it's still a place where you know every person by name. And you probably know their dog’s name, too. Happy hours are not obligatory one-drink affairs, because they're often impromptu around the ping pong table.

A lot of companies tout “culture” as a perk, but Springbox actually has it in spades. They focus on hiring people who are good at what they do, but aren’t all about their own ego. Which makes collaboration easier and ultimately, makes the work better.

With a good group of core clients and new projects consistently coming in the door, there is always new work to take on. Which makes it a great place to develop your digital chops. Not all of the projects are glamorous, but each presents it’s own set of challenges and learning opportunities.

At the end of the day, it’s a place where your coworkers will become your friends and your career has the opportunity to grow if you put in the work.

Cons

he natural by-product of producing good work is more work and new clients. For Springbox, that happened really quickly. Teams had to get bigger, fast and processes (or lack thereof) had to be scaled for a larger company. All of this change in a short period of time has created a lot of uncertainty as new leads have come in to evolve the way projects are run.

Advice to Management

Don’t lose sight of the things that make Springbox great (and helped it grow so quickly) — the people, the culture of collaboration, and the focus on doing great work.

Springbox Response

Aug 19, 2016 – Manager People Operations

Thank you for your feedback! People, culture and collaboration are key values at Springbox and critical to our success! While growth may have its challenges we are so excited for what's on the ... More

"Come for the job, Stay for the people"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Austin, TX

I worked at Springbox full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The most impressive quality of Springbox is their ability to bring in amazing talent; Even though they've been growing rapidly over past year, they never stray from the "We don't hire @$$#01e$" policy. Because of this fact, the teams are very close and, in turn, very productive - always producing very high quality work. The ultimate outcome being a lot of happy, and loyal, customers.

When a company grows as fast as Springbox has, it's inevitable they're going to undergo growing pains. This would normally cause a lot of issues, which normally would result in a lot of negative comments in the 'Cons' section below; but thats not the case here. I'm not saying everything has gone completely swimmingly, but I'd have to say I'm impressed with how well Springbox has stayed a fun and energetic place to come to every day - They've done a good job of bringing in experianced team managers who know how a larger company should run, but who also know that keeping the employees happy needs to be priority #1.

In my opinion, some of the most valuable people in an organization are the team leads - those individuals who have to deal with the stress of answering to management, but also have to take on the responsibility of managing their team members. I'd have to say this is one place where Springbox shines. I've had the lucky opportunity to work with an amazing development team, but I'd have to say my time at Springbox would not have been the success it was if it weren't for my awesome team lead; no matter how much she had on her plate, she always took the time to help out anyone, anytime, without hesitation - Thanks and keep up the Great work!

Cons

One area that needs improvement is the review process - it seems like the contribution of some of the individuals can get overlooked, which can make individual career progression seem stagnant. (This is the negative part of having a fast growing company)
    note - this is something management is working on this year

Advice to Management

Please make sure to keep Springbox a fun place to work. So keep up the Team Offsites, Happy hours, and do whatever you can to keep your amazing team happy.

"Digital Strategy"

Former Employee - Digital Strategist in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Digital Strategist in Austin, TX

I worked at Springbox part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Have many benefits, very enthusiastic and young people, casual dress and snacks often make for a fun enviroment, there are many pros.

Cons

While they have many benefits, there is a large gap in the upperhand managament. Spread themselves too thin so they can't connect well with each area independently.

"Where to even begin"

I worked at Springbox full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unlimited vacation, amazing people, life-long friendships, dogs, snacks and drinks, downtown location. Can get good experience and can find great mentors.

Cons

Springbox used to be a great place to work with great benefits, culture, people, career growth and really everything you want in a company, especially when young. Springbox used to have many brilliant people there and still continues to hire talent although hires talent at a very low market price comparatively. Generally, the Springbox population is made of young people, eager to learn and grow and get good experience but Springbox is lacking both the education, management, and leadership to feed that yearning. Springbox struggles to help define career growth right now as it has many other problems.

The recent growth has basically sunk the company as the leadership team is unable to make strategic and long-term decisions that will not completely destroy company culture or the quality talent that has worked so hard for them. The growth was not sustainable and has ruined the experience for many "old Springboxers". While "new Springboxers" are still very talented, smart, and fun, Springbox is also bringing in new managers who are bulldozing through Springbox and the people with complete disregard or appropriate change management tactics.

Springbox also is unable and unwilling to invest in educational opportunities for their people. Springbox is hungry for work and continuously undersells, overpromises, and underdelivers while running their people into the ground to burn over on projects and not profit, leaving the bonus payouts small or skipping them some quarters.

The CEO, while very smart and pragmatic, invests his time in either things outside of Springbox or in the wrong things to think about and take action on.

Springbox used to not be very political but now is completely political and agenda focused. You have to be aware of the players, their styles, and beware of puppeteering.

The bottom line: the work-life balance and fun culture that Springbox touts no longer exists. Teams are run into the ground for little return and small pay. The tight timelines and small estimate allotments do not allow the teams to be as creative or as innovative as Springbox thinks they are. Career development is on hold while Springbox figures out what direction they are even going in and what the vision is, which changes fairly rapidly.

Advice to Management

Springbox must understand they benefits they have or claim to have do not make up for the lack of salary. They must choose a tactical and strategic growth plan that is both realistic and sustainable. Don't grow just to grow and for increased revenue, make smart decisions that both weigh the benefits and costs, and reflect the strategic goals while considering the people that you claim to hold so dearly. Return Springbox to have a healthy work-life balance and slow down to do good work and retain quality clients, more-so then just the cornerstone clients. You cannot run a business where 90% is based on one client. Value your people appropriately and they will continue to work for you. Right now, people are jumping ship and you're still saying everything will be okay. Make changes now and protect your employees. Springbox can return to the "glory days" but it will take appropriate action in leadership, managers, and change management.

"Healthy agency, positive workplace"

Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Springbox (Less than a year)

Pros

No drama. Talented and experienced creative contributors. Experienced, dedicated, and inspiring leaders. Veteran executives and plans for continued growth and success. Coffee. Beer. Dogs in the office. Shared successes and constant process reflection and improvement.

Cons

Some expected growing pains as the Agency transforms itself into a small niche player into a full-service digital agency with expanding offerings. Our tools and approaches are transitioning from serving a small agency to ones that can scale with our ambitions — this can be be difficult if you're not able to adapt to change.

Advice to Management

Continue to aim high and invest in ways to positively grow the company and it's unique culture. Align our strengths with strategic clients who appreciate and delight in our work and the process we use to get there. Take risks with new opportunities to stretch our imaginations and our capabilities.

"Springbox"

I worked at Springbox full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Group of really smart, really passionate folks who are passionate about what they do.
    Dogs are allowed, and regular members of the team.
    Laid back and interactive environment.
    No politics, no restrictive hierarchy, no inflated egos.
    Train station close by.
    Located downtown a couple blocks from the capital (lots of shops and restaurants close by).

Cons

Located downtown, parking can be difficult or expensive.

Advice to Management

In a fast-paced environment, it's easy to measure once and cut twice. It's important to recognize planning as an action.

"Work hard. Play hard."

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Springbox full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is the first agency I've worked at where everyone is held accountable for their work. It's a great team environment and everyone is always willing to help each other out. After only being here a few weeks, I was able to start running my own projects with confidence because I had such a supportive team behind me.

Cons

The overall process is being refreshed but with most agency's that's always the case.

Advice to Management

Continue to be open and honest about the company's goals and expectations.

"Great company on the forefront of the digital industry."

Current Employee - Account Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Springbox full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Take clients/projects that are strategy-driven and will be interesting for team members to be a part of; Fun work environment with lots of employee perks including offsites and team happy hours; Easy access to management team; Collaborative from project inception to completion - with clients as well as internally.

Cons

Going to gain 30 lbs. from all the great snacks around the office.

Advice to Management

Be more open about personnel changes.

"Springbox review"

Current Employee - Party and Event Planner in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Party and Event Planner in Austin, TX

I have been working at Springbox part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hard working but relaxed environment. Good people. Work hard, play hard.

Cons

Parking downtown is tough but love the location

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!