Springbox Reviews | Glassdoor

Tom West

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great place to work!"

I worked at Springbox full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Springbox has some of the most skilled talent on staff that I've ever worked with. Their ability to take any customer request and turn it into a reality is truly impressive. Almost everyone of the team is engaged, eager to learn, and chomping at the bit to try the newest technology or strategy to meet their customer's ask. I've never learned so much from a job or felt so appreciated.

The company culture is great! I've always felt like I'm part of the team, and everyone is happy to answer questions or help any of their fellow team members. Any new suggestions or ideas are always well received, regardless of your position. The dogs roaming around and the relaxed workspace always help with the stressful days, and the beer on tap doesn't hurt either.

It's truly a great place to work and to grow!

Cons

As with any company that is growing, there are growing pains. Their process and role definitions are currently being reworked to accommodate their growth. Once this is complete, I think any unrest will be settled. In the meantime, all of the managers and executives have been incredibly transparent and willing to help with any concerns that may come up.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work around implementing new project process and role definitions!

Dec 14, 2017 – Chief Vision Officer

Thank you for your response. Creating the time and space to do our best work is a top priority in the reshaping of our future. We appreciate your confidence in our future success.

"Lack of Trust for their Employees"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Springbox full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is a great culture amongst peers - some of it is the typical run of the mill that you can find at smaller companies (i.e., dogs in the office, free beverages, etc.), but the actual relationships between the peers was great and what kept me going back to work before leaving for a larger opportunity.

Cons

Executive management was all over the place, very disorganized, and reactive - especially the CEO who micromanages more than he puts on. There was internal competition and blatant favoritism of employees, which continues to exist per employees who are still at SBX. And the benefit of "unlimited vacation days" was nice, but let that be a red flag because it is very difficult to actually take vacation since the workload and needs from the CEO are ever-changing and inefficient. Lastly, they will try to low ball you so be ready to negotiate. HR is very slow to respond and extremely gossipy; be careful what you share with them as it can hurt your career.

Advice to Management

Stop selling offerings that you are not experts in - narrow it down to what you are truly great at as a cohesive team.

Dec 14, 2017 – Chief Vision Officer

Thank you for your feedback. Fostering an environment where our talented staff have the time and space to do their best work is our top priority. We're supporting this at the highest level with the... More

"Lack of Communication and Spontaneous, Reactionary Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Springbox full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people that work here are extremely intelligent. Every day with the team is inspiring and has personally fostered growth.
    The culture, while it may be too casual at times, is fun, relaxed, and energetic. The office space is older, but it feels comfortable and Springbox does try to accommodate needs when they arise (comfy spaces to get away, snacks, more meeting rooms, etc...).
    Processes are also being worked on and it feels like teams are actively trying to solve process issues and create some sort of structure.

Cons

Leadership is so out of touch the rest of the company. Revenue is pushed as the sole motive to work harder and harder, leaving inspiring motives like innovation, creativity, and personal development to the wayside. In fact, themes like these are only discussed in correlation to driving new business to Springbox.
    Timelines for projects are constantly accelerated leaving people scrambling to finish work for the sake of meeting internal business goals. Quality of work is sacrificed for revenue goals due to lack of planning by leadership - and it has not improved in months. Few people are working overtime while others have little to no work. There is no balance with work distribution, only favoritism.
    HR approaches hiring and people management from a cold and apathetic perspective. We never see or hear from HR unless someone is being fired, or there is a major policy change.
    Leadership tends to place the blame of company issues on the employees, alluding to employees not working enough hours instead of owning up to the obvious workflow and communication problems.

Advice to Management

We do not care about revenue goals and generating new business. We care about producing quality work, being creative, and working for a company that cares about our growth - not just money.

4. "Unlike Anywhere Else"

Current Employee - Director of Optimization in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Director of Optimization in Austin, TX

I have been working at Springbox full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Extremely open to innovation, and I mean TRUE innovation. SBX is not siloed, fosters an environment of transparency, and has an all-hands on deck approach to help each other succeed.

Cons

Too many snacks - I can't control my urges! All kidding aside, salary needs to be more competitive; otherwise, SBX risks prematurely losing incredible talent.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to each other and remember that you are always setting an example so keep up the great work.

Aug 19, 2016 – Manager People Operations

Thank you for the great feedback! We are looking at all angels to recruit and retain the best talent and appreciate your input!

"A good place to grow."

I worked at Springbox full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are the three things that make Springbox a great place to work: the people (and their dogs), the culture, and the breadth of work.

Springboxers are engaging, outgoing, inclusive, and smart people. Despite the recent growth, it's still a place where you know every person by name. And you probably know their dog’s name, too. Happy hours are not obligatory one-drink affairs, because they're often impromptu around the ping pong table.

A lot of companies tout “culture” as a perk, but Springbox actually has it in spades. They focus on hiring people who are good at what they do, but aren’t all about their own ego. Which makes collaboration easier and ultimately, makes the work better.

With a good group of core clients and new projects consistently coming in the door, there is always new work to take on. Which makes it a great place to develop your digital chops. Not all of the projects are glamorous, but each presents it’s own set of challenges and learning opportunities.

At the end of the day, it’s a place where your coworkers will become your friends and your career has the opportunity to grow if you put in the work.

Cons

he natural by-product of producing good work is more work and new clients. For Springbox, that happened really quickly. Teams had to get bigger, fast and processes (or lack thereof) had to be scaled for a larger company. All of this change in a short period of time has created a lot of uncertainty as new leads have come in to evolve the way projects are run.

Advice to Management

Don’t lose sight of the things that make Springbox great (and helped it grow so quickly) — the people, the culture of collaboration, and the focus on doing great work.

Aug 19, 2016 – Manager People Operations

Thank you for your feedback! People, culture and collaboration are key values at Springbox and critical to our success! While growth may have its challenges we are so excited for what's on the... More

"Glassdoor Politics Aside"

Pros

Reading the reviews here are unfortunately where Glassdoor fails. There are people who were badly burned speaking loudly while others are posting coerced positive
    reviews trying to boost stats as a way to attract talent. My advice is simple-- go and see.

The people are everything the reviews say: smart, hardworking, and some of the finest people you will ever know. Unlimited vacation is a great perk, having dogs around is fun, and standing desks make you feel a little more healthy.

Cons

Springbox is going through changes which can be a pro or a con depending on what you are looking for. If you are looking for a place that's a well oiled machine, Springbox is probably not the place right now. Leadership has changed and they're working to implement new process, sometimes by brute force.

If you're looking for an opportunity to help a company evolve and can put up with the level of uncertainty and stress that can come along with it then Springbox is a place you can make a difference.

Advice to Management

Don't watch the bottom line so closely that you stop seeing the people who made the company successful in the first place. The more people you push out the door by ignoring your employees needs, the more difficult it will be to get good employees in.

"Come for the job, Stay for the people"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Austin, TX

I worked at Springbox full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The most impressive quality of Springbox is their ability to bring in amazing talent; Even though they've been growing rapidly over past year, they never stray from the "We don't hire @$$#01e$" policy. Because of this fact, the teams are very close and, in turn, very productive - always producing very high quality work. The ultimate outcome being a lot of happy, and loyal, customers.

When a company grows as fast as Springbox has, it's inevitable they're going to undergo growing pains. This would normally cause a lot of issues, which normally would result in a lot of negative comments in the 'Cons' section below; but thats not the case here. I'm not saying everything has gone completely swimmingly, but I'd have to say I'm impressed with how well Springbox has stayed a fun and energetic place to come to every day - They've done a good job of bringing in experianced team managers who know how a larger company should run, but who also know that keeping the employees happy needs to be priority #1.

In my opinion, some of the most valuable people in an organization are the team leads - those individuals who have to deal with the stress of answering to management, but also have to take on the responsibility of managing their team members. I'd have to say this is one place where Springbox shines. I've had the lucky opportunity to work with an amazing development team, but I'd have to say my time at Springbox would not have been the success it was if it weren't for my awesome team lead; no matter how much she had on her plate, she always took the time to help out anyone, anytime, without hesitation - Thanks and keep up the Great work!

Cons

One area that needs improvement is the review process - it seems like the contribution of some of the individuals can get overlooked, which can make individual career progression seem stagnant. (This is the negative part of having a fast growing company)
    note - this is something management is working on this year

Advice to Management

Please make sure to keep Springbox a fun place to work. So keep up the Team Offsites, Happy hours, and do whatever you can to keep your amazing team happy.

"Growth is hard"

Pros

Springboxers get to pet puppies during meetings, enjoy the unlimited time off policy and other niceties such as snacks and beer on tap.

All of that is great, but A+ players want to compete on teams of A+ players, and there are plenty of those that walk the halls at Springbox.

Some observations that may tell the tale:
    - Early in the morning (before 8:00am) you will find team members already here, and nobody asked them to show up this early. This morning we are jamming to Piggrams and Outcast.
    - During lunch you will find some of us enjoying the roof deck on nice weather days together
    - After 5:00pm you will find many Springboxers still here hanging out, chatting etc

Individual opinions (including mine) are just that, but the bullets above are just data points that tell the story of a fantastic group of people that enjoy working together in a great environment.

You need to visit to experience it and understand why everyone who's been here applies for a position at Springbox.

Cons

The downtown commute is not easy. Springbox is a growing company and feeling that pain:

Just a year ago at 60% the current size it was perfectly feasible to manage work streams without a formal processes in place. Now with the growth that success brings, the company had to formalize the delivery model in order to scale out and be successful at the next level.

This included moving to an Agile based planning model with tools that support that (as opposed to using a spreadsheet and email bombardment) introduced more accountability and empowered delivery teams to figure out the best way to meet their commitments and no longer be micro managed weekly at the hours level.

It is fair to say that not everyone agreed with this change, and some have chosen to leave with emotions high and write venting reviews on Glassdoor.

The AC *is* loud :).

"Digital Strategy"

Former Employee - Digital Strategist in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Digital Strategist in Austin, TX

I worked at Springbox part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Have many benefits, very enthusiastic and young people, casual dress and snacks often make for a fun enviroment, there are many pros.

Cons

While they have many benefits, there is a large gap in the upperhand managament. Spread themselves too thin so they can't connect well with each area independently.

"Where to even begin"

I worked at Springbox full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unlimited vacation, amazing people, life-long friendships, dogs, snacks and drinks, downtown location. Can get good experience and can find great mentors.

Cons

Springbox used to be a great place to work with great benefits, culture, people, career growth and really everything you want in a company, especially when young. Springbox used to have many brilliant people there and still continues to hire talent although hires talent at a very low market price comparatively. Generally, the Springbox population is made of young people, eager to learn and grow and get good experience but Springbox is lacking both the education, management, and leadership to feed that yearning. Springbox struggles to help define career growth right now as it has many other problems.

The recent growth has basically sunk the company as the leadership team is unable to make strategic and long-term decisions that will not completely destroy company culture or the quality talent that has worked so hard for them. The growth was not sustainable and has ruined the experience for many "old Springboxers". While "new Springboxers" are still very talented, smart, and fun, Springbox is also bringing in new managers who are bulldozing through Springbox and the people with complete disregard or appropriate change management tactics.

Springbox also is unable and unwilling to invest in educational opportunities for their people. Springbox is hungry for work and continuously undersells, overpromises, and underdelivers while running their people into the ground to burn over on projects and not profit, leaving the bonus payouts small or skipping them some quarters.

The CEO, while very smart and pragmatic, invests his time in either things outside of Springbox or in the wrong things to think about and take action on.

Springbox used to not be very political but now is completely political and agenda focused. You have to be aware of the players, their styles, and beware of puppeteering.

The bottom line: the work-life balance and fun culture that Springbox touts no longer exists. Teams are run into the ground for little return and small pay. The tight timelines and small estimate allotments do not allow the teams to be as creative or as innovative as Springbox thinks they are. Career development is on hold while Springbox figures out what direction they are even going in and what the vision is, which changes fairly rapidly.

Advice to Management

Springbox must understand they benefits they have or claim to have do not make up for the lack of salary. They must choose a tactical and strategic growth plan that is both realistic and sustainable. Don't grow just to grow and for increased revenue, make smart decisions that both weigh the benefits and costs, and reflect the strategic goals while considering the people that you claim to hold so dearly. Return Springbox to have a healthy work-life balance and slow down to do good work and retain quality clients, more-so then just the cornerstone clients. You cannot run a business where 90% is based on one client. Value your people appropriately and they will continue to work for you. Right now, people are jumping ship and you're still saying everything will be okay. Make changes now and protect your employees. Springbox can return to the "glory days" but it will take appropriate action in leadership, managers, and change management.