Step-By-Step Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
James Bobeck

"Classic Nonprofit"

I have been working at Step-By-Step full-time

Pros

Meaningful work.
    Relaxed atmosphere.
    This is a fun job for those looking for something different.
    Generous leave police.

Cons

The leadership is unorganized.
    The pay is not great.
    Problems are not addressed in a reasonable amount of time.

Advice to Management

It may be nice to pay more attention to what employees are saying. There are many problems that escalate that could've been prevented earlier.

2. "Horrible. Mistreatment. How is this not illegal?"

Pros

The "consumers" the people we aid, are truly great people. And I absolutely love helping to take care of them.

Cons

I don't even know where to begin? How about the slave hours...
    You literally do not get set hours, ever. They can change on a whim, as in you'll get a phone call on your day off stating: "we had to switch some hours around and we need you to come in right away and cover so-and-so shift." (This happens on average 2 times a month).

ILLEGALLY WORKING 24 HOUR SHIFTS!
    That's right, if the person on the shift after you calls off, you're required to stay and cover their shift. We work 10-12 HOUR shifts. This happens also, usually 2 times a month.
    There is an on call worker... Who always seems to have their phone off.

NO BREAKS/LUNCHES
    We don't have designated breaks or lunches. We can eat only when (and what) the consumers eat. So if you have any food alergies or restrictions, too bad for you. (i have an allergy and am restricted to what I can eat and sometimes go a whole shift without eating).

If you can't work over night (midnight to 10am) shift they make you resign or put you in FML...even though upon applying at the job for a day shift postion, you're not made aware of having occasional over night hours (at random)

NEGLECT TO THE "CONSUMERS"
    When I was still new to the company I witnessed another co-worker abuse one of the residents at night. I reported my concerns to my superior and did not receive a response. So the next shift I worked with this other co-worker, I recorded it. And then sent it to two higher-ups in the company.
    I was interviewed and was told that the person abusing the resident will be let go in a few weeks when they find someone to fill the position...

Knowing that there is on call staff, I song know why they allowed the abusive individual stay for almost 3 full weeks before letting them go.

Also... The pay and benefits are terrible. No room for advancement.

Advice to Management

Management as in the higher-ups in charge: if it's not the way you would want to be treated, it's not the way you should treat others.

"Job position is great...but..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethlehem, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethlehem, PA

I have been working at Step-By-Step full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with the consumers is wonderful and very rewarding. The actual job is great!

Cons

EXTREMELY POOR, UPTIGHT upper management team! Difficult to get approved time off even with the available time, zero flexibility, HUGE turn over rate-can not say enough bad stuff about the "higher ups" who just love their title!

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to start focusing on the positive things workers do and ease up on ridiculous, petty nonsense! Also, people accrue vacation & sick for a reason-let them use it

"Not Worth It"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Step-By-Step full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Kind and generous co-workers, great clients.

Cons

Constantly changing their company model in the western region. They are forcing managers and supervisors to keep the day program a float because they can't run it correctly. If I wanted to work direct care I would. I worked direct care for over a decade. I worked my way up and paid my dues. Now that I am able to take on the task of management they are forcing us to do direct care because no one wants to work the day program. There are staff leaving everyday and no one in the temp agencies want to work here because of the lack of support. They did away with tuition reimbursement and no one is encouraged to advance. I could go on.

Advice to Management

Shut down and start again with new people.

"Long and unsatisfactory work experience based on unfulfilled promises"

Pros

SOME of the people are wonderful to work with and make the office environment bareable. The clients and families are a true pleasure to work with.

Cons

The office environment is very "clicky" and temperment fluctuates often. The positions offered are very stressful and the company offers very little support. There is no such thing as "employee morale" with this company.

Advice to Management

Management NEEDS to rethink their strategies. I strongly recommend that corporate takes a good look into the various depts and weed out the unprofessional and corrupt management.

"Direct Support Staff Supervisor"

Current Employee - Direct Support Staff Supervisor in Pleasant Hills, PA
    Current Employee - Direct Support Staff Supervisor in Pleasant Hills, PA

I have been working at Step-By-Step full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Relationships with other Supervisor and Staff

Cons

Never fully staffed. Disorganized. Mandated to fill in in Day Program Setting without regard to staffing issues in your own program. Upper management do not communicate issues to one another. Very low pay compared to other companies which upper management continues to say are competitive.

Advice to Management

Do not put incompetent people in positions of authority with little or no training. It is disheartening to those who must work for them

"Your health is at risk- avoid this place !!!"

Former Employee - CSW in Wilkes-Barre, PA
    Former Employee - CSW in Wilkes-Barre, PA

Pros

Get out early in the afternoon.

Cons

Management is rude, company is deceitful, consumers were violent, dangerous, workers left uninformed. Training was nonexistent- I knew people employed there for months who didn't even get cpr/first aid certification. Pay was disgustingly low, I could have made the same amount working at a gas station. I gave up a full time position because of safety issues. I gave it two weeks and quit after being assaulted by a consumer. Management did nothing proper afterwords- luckily my injuries were minor. Company cares more about getting consumers as income than it does protecting it's workers. DO NOT DRINK THEIR KOOL-AID, Avoid this company at all costs !

Advice to Management

Train and certify your people properly ASAP upon hire, instil a "Do not touch staff" policy for consumers, implement immediate health coverage instead of three month waiting time... investigate 51 gravel street wilkes-barre PA.

9. "community support specialist"

Former Employee - Community Support Specialist in Moscow, PA
    Former Employee - Community Support Specialist in Moscow, PA

I worked at Step-By-Step (More than a year)

Pros

working with the mentally disabled

Cons

poor work environment; company not supportive of clients or staff

Advice to Management

get better supervisor

10. "They do good work. Rewarding experience."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehigh Valley, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehigh Valley, PA

I worked at Step-By-Step full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good schedules, Team work is very good. You will love the people you support.

Cons

Non-profit, social service agency that tends to have low hourly rates for direct care positions.

Advice to Management

Reevaluate the low rate of pay for overnight shift direct crae positions

"Corrupt & wasteful non-profit org"

Former Employee - Community Support Specialist in Carbondale, PA
    Former Employee - Community Support Specialist in Carbondale, PA

I worked at Step-By-Step full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There is satisfaction in helping the clients. The company pays mileage when commuting to the main office for meetings and training events.

Cons

Just about everything else. No incentives, raises, etc. Management abuses power & is verbally abusive to the consumers. You report it & it gets swept under the rug. I don't know how the leaders of this organization sleep at night.

Advice to Management

Develop a strong moral compass & don't retaliate against employees that point out abuse. Reward your employees based upon their personal performance. Weed out the bad apples who are, simply put, stealing, from this non-profit charity.