Sterling-Rice Reviews | Glassdoor

Cindy Judge

1. "Managing Director"

Current Employee - Managing Director in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Managing Director in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Sterling-Rice full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people, blue chip clients, outstanding location and office space, good benefits for a small company. The work is intellectually challenging and fast paced- no two clients ever want the same thing and we work across a range of industries to keep things interesting! Global assignments. Opportunities to become a partner and drive growth.

Cons

Most of the clients are out of state which require a fair amount of travel for meetings and research depending on the role. Project based work means there is no "normal" so you can be really busy for certain periods of time requiring a lot of hours so it's not for everyone.

Advice to Management

Continue to grow the company and maintain the unique culture!

"Big Boulder Agency"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

Pros

Great views of the flatirons. National accounts. Nice people.

Cons

Not so accessible. Too disjointed--left hand doesn't know what right hand is doing. Or if there is a left hand. Parking is an issue unless you ride your bike to work.

Advice to Management

Lots of local talent going unnoticed who'd love to add to this shop.

"Great talent, but lacking direction"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Sterling-Rice full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of smart, hard-working people at SRG. The culture is welcoming, and almost everyone one is pleasant to work with. If variety of accounts is your cup of tea, this is a great place.

Cons

SRG is an extremely top heavy company. Sometimes it feels like there are the same amount of senior leadership members as people who do the work, and manage the day to day.

Advice to Management

Invest in more workers -- not more senior leaders.

"A braintrust the likes of which I've never experienced. I learned a ton in the one year that I spent here."

Former Employee - Senior Digital Planner in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Digital Planner in Boulder, CO

Pros

Incredibly smart people, great clients and killer offices.

Cons

Surprisingly conservative and corporate feel to the environment. I decided to grow a beard while I was working here (2009) and it became a big topic of conversation and something that was mentioned to me all the time. Individuality not a widely valued personality attribute.

Advice to Management

You don't need my advice. You're the best in the business. Keep it up.

"Comfortable job, if you're ok with status quo."

I worked at Sterling-Rice full-time

Pros

Good work-life balance for the industry. Excellent health benefits, etc. that add up to real value on your post-tax paycheck. Great office location, centrally located in downtown Boulder.

Cons

Management is overly top-heavy and unaligned. No clear directive or point of view. Creative suffers as a result. New business wins and solid clients hard to come by.

Advice to Management

Don't worry so much about like-ability. It can back-fire.

"Fortunate to have found SRG."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Sterling-Rice full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

SRG is very vocal about it's core values, and they do their very best to live them every day. I really do believe that they take feedback and criticism to heart, and do their best to do right by the company, their employees, and the community as a whole. They understand that it is their people that make them great, and while it is acknowledged that the business that we are in is a demanding one, SRG emphasizes work/life balance and having fun.

SRG has high expectations of its people, but it will not leave you on your own. Mentors abound at SRG, and they are more than willing to have a cup of coffee and give guidance along the way. I have found this company to be a great place to learn and grow, and while a small percentage of folks might not be happy, there are a plethora of people who have been here for years (or who go and come back) who understand that this is a truly special place not to be taken for granted.

SRG also takes its commitment to the community (both locally and globally) extremely seriously. At the end of the day, you truly feel as though you yourself are making a difference, and that your company is making a difference.

Cons

Some members of senior leadership don't always set the example when it comes to work/life balance, which can leave you feeling a little guilty when going home to your family at 5 o'clock.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to try something new. Sometimes it's the people at the bottom with the best ideas.

"Truly Amazing Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Sterling-Rice full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

After a few years here I still feel good about my decision to join SRG. We've had a tough year and the leadership team is doing what they need to do to get us back on track. This can include the toughest decisions ever. But it is done here from the heart. And while I may not always understand all decisions I trust that they were made with business needs in mind and good intentions.

Cons

I'm not sure there's anything that leaders aren't aware of. No need to share publicly because I see things being addressed.

Advice to Management

Keep your heart in the game, be fiscally conservative, and move swiftly.

"Company culture feels forced and disingenuous"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Sterling-Rice full-time

Pros

The main pro is that the local community in Boulder has a positive impression of this organization.

Cons

Very limited growth and professional development opportunities. Good benefits, however compensation is below industry averages so it evens out. Much is said about work/life balance, but employees are too busy to take vacation time without being viewed as not being a team player. Weak leadership by President and CFO. Poor internal communication and lack of transparency. Organization does not live up to the values it declares.

Advice to Management

Shake things up. Too much dead weight, especially at the top. Staying enthusiastic and motivated to work here is becoming harder and harder.

"Outstanding, world-class company. Work here if you get the opportunity to."

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Boulder, CO

I worked at Sterling-Rice full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The smartest people I know are within the walls of SRG. Not only are they smart... but they're also the kindest and most fun group of people you'll meet. SRG has an integrated model that is truly, truly unique. If you're lucky enough to work for SRG, you'll wear many different hats, no two days will be the same, and you'll love the people you work with. Managers are also extremely conscientious of their employee's career goals, seeking out growth opportunities for them left and right. I felt consistently challenged and happy at Sterling-Rice Group and I learned something new every single day. I always left work feeling inspired. What more could you ask for than that?

I honestly could not give higher praise to Sterling-Rice Group as a company. They are outstanding.

Cons

I don't have anything negative to say about SRG. They're smart, buttoned-up, professional, strategic, froward-thinking, innovative and fun. I hope to find another company like SRG in my new city.

So, to that point, the only down-side is that SRG has one office in Boulder. If my wish came true, they'd expand offices to other cities and share their talent with companies on the West and East cost.

Advice to Management

I had the utmost trust and confidence in the Sr. Leadership team. I always felt that the decisions they made were best not only for the company, but more importantly for SRG's employees and for our culture. Keep doing what you're doing!

"Lacking a real president..."

Current Employee - Creative in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Creative in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Sterling-Rice full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They have great vacation and health benefits. When you have worked at SRG for more then five years you receive 4 weeks vacation. Definitely a great perk.

Cons

SRG needs a president, not a used car salesmen. The leadership is beyond lacking and therefore has caused a large lack of direction. He is more worried about his personal interests vs if it actually makes sense for the greater good of the company.

Take a look at the Creative department. They have had a new leader every two years over the last 8. The culture has gone downhill and the lack of respect for employees is appalling. 10 years of trying to build a digital department with it still not being up and running says it all.

Advice to Management

Get a new leader! Everyone has said it for years in the satisfaction survey, yet they won't make a change. That would fix a majority of the problems because people can see through the fake personality. Sometimes you have to own up that you made a mistake. There is no shame in that because you will end up saving the jobs of many people vs. running into the iceberg.

Figure out what you're really good at and own it vs trying a little bit of everything when you produce average work. People can see right through it...