Sturm, Ruger & Co Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Beware"

Former Employee - Line (Manufacturing) Engineer in Mayodan, NC
    Former Employee - Line (Manufacturing) Engineer in Mayodan, NC

I worked at Sturm, Ruger & Co full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great profit sharing plan and compensation.

Cons

No family life, long hours, terrible start times, little loyalty from company but expect you to give all.

2. "current employee"

Current Employee - R&D SERVICE TECH II in Newport, NH
    Current Employee - R&D SERVICE TECH II in Newport, NH

I have been working at Sturm, Ruger & Co full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Profit sharing, discount on firearms

Cons

Poor management quality, work conditions, Tools needed to complete jobs

"Management"

Current Employee - Assembly Line in Prescott, AZ
    Current Employee - Assembly Line in Prescott, AZ

I have been working at Sturm, Ruger & Co full-time

Pros

Pay is good with over time.

Cons

Management treat employees terribly I have witnessed 2 supervisors throw guns, one nearly hitting an employee. I also heard a supervisor tell other staff very loudly that an employee she didn't like was married and procreatingand that should scare everyone. Over time is forced and if you have to leave at a certain time you get in trouble. Good luck being a parent with this job.

Advice to Management

Stop treating staff like they are disposable

4. "Callus management"

Former Employee - CNC in Newport, NH
    Former Employee - CNC in Newport, NH

I worked at Sturm, Ruger & Co full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You would have a job that has security no matter the economy.

Cons

Management treats you like a dog that gets hooked up to the sled when they want you to work. First shift starts at 4-5 am till 2:30 or 3:30. Overtime is always mandatory if the line you work in is running on it. No sick time and if you are out they give you a mark on your attendance record. If you are out more than three times in three months they write you up. More than that and they may send you home without pay for three days. They own your life and the air in there is awful. The fans drip oil within a month and they have to keep filters on the cooling fans for the computers and machines. Worse company I ever worked for. They were pretty good 11 years ago got worse every year since. You are a pawn they use to keep the shareholders happy. Like to be driven like a dog ? Work at Rugers You can't transfer to their other plants . you have to quit and apply like a new employee, then take a pay cut to boot if they do rehire you. I can go on and on.....I worked for good companies in the past and this one sucks.

Advice to Management

They don't take advice. You don't matter to them. It is what they want and you are a number in the accounting books.

5. "electrician"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Sturm, Ruger & Co full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good company to work for

Cons

not much in the way of cons

"My Experience at Ruger"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mayodan, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mayodan, NC

I have been working at Sturm, Ruger & Co full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ruger has the best grouping of employee benefits anywhere. There's at least one payed day a month off. They do two 401k matches, weekly and end of year. There is a huge employee discount on everything Ruger makes, including firearms. They have a healthy profit sharing program. You qualify for paid vacation after 6 months which gets you a week and then another week after a year. Any vacation not used is paid out at the end of the year. The production employees are great people that are a joy to work with.

Cons

The long hours; at the Mayodan facility we work 10+ hours a day 5 days a week, which leaves very little time for family/personal lives. 1st shift starts @ 4:45 am. We are expected to box 500 guns a day but rarely given the tools and the supportive knowledge to do so. The leadership at our facility does not spend nor take the required amount of time to train inexperienced new hires on Standard work. For that fact,m there is no standard work available to follow so when the lack of training is evidenced, employees are disciplined and moved to another area where the cycle repeats it's self. I have personally know multiple co-workers that have fallen prey to this. These same employees have taken the companies required steps with H.R. and eventually left the company due to frustration and lack of change.

The Engineering staff is NOT available and very difficult to deal with. On numerous occasions, engineers have been contacted on the weekend and during second shift only to be told "figure it out yourself". When this is brought to the management's attention, a half hearted apology is given and the engineer does not and will not work the individual again making the situation worse.

This facility is a start-up and is doing very well, but the current rate of turn over and general attitude of the hourly populace does not give a positive forecast for those starting off at our facility. Bad attitudes spread quickly and it is evident at our Facility.

The management at the Mayodan facility is lead primarily by their emotions. "The closest person to the fire is the one who gets burned" Our leaders do not take in to consideration the facts about a given situation. They care more about being right (and the perception of being right) than how they interact with their employees. They will simply blame you if you work in the area of the issue. The egos of our facility are larger than our square footage. There is a clear "line " between the management at the Mayodan facility and it's hourly employees. Conversations are laced with condescension and belittlement leaving employees confused and abandoned. Management should look within themselves as a follower and put aside their pride and start lifting people up rather than put them down.

Advice to Management

Know what it is to follow, when you do then you will know what it is to lead. Dont ask people to do things that you yourself would not do. Dont speak to people in any other way than how you would speak to your grandmother. Think about the impact of your actions and words if you wouldnt speak to someone a certain way outside of the facility then dont speak to them that way when you are at work. Remember that the hourly people are the ones that make and ship the product that keeps the facility going so train them and help them get better. Support the ones that go the extra mile and let them know you appreciate them, if you dont they wont be there tomorrow.

"Polisher"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Prescott, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Prescott, AZ

I worked at Sturm, Ruger & Co full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly management, great benefits.

Cons

Not much room for advancement.

"Great training, repetitive and damaging job"

Former Employee - CNC Machinist in Newport, NH
    Former Employee - CNC Machinist in Newport, NH

I worked at Sturm, Ruger & Co full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

classroom training, good management, medical equipment made available

Cons

repetitive work for hours that cause repetitive strain injuries (RSI). Unsafe work enviorment

Advice to Management

Mix up work routines for employees to prevent injuries.
    My trainer was only 29, and has required 2 carpal-tunnel surgeries as a result from his work at Ruger's.

"Taking full advantage of a right-to-work state"

Former Employee - CNC Operator in Prescott, AZ
    Former Employee - CNC Operator in Prescott, AZ

I worked at Sturm, Ruger & Co full-time

Pros

Good starting pay for someone with no education or someone looking for work in the middle of a recession
    Quarterly bonuses given to employees. Amount depends on how well the company is doing.

Cons

Absolutely no regard for employee safety.
    Little advancement opportunity.
    Hilarious attendance policies, e.g., losing points for taking one of your sick days! (Is this really legal?!)
    The 60+ hour weeks can get very old very quickly, at least if you're a single male like I was.

To expand on the employee safety, I walked out of this job after a year and a half when one day in the factory there was literally a cloud of smoke billowing across the entire factory, yet no one was being evacuated or anything of the like.

Advice to Management

Seems pointless even typing this out since management would never do anything that I suggest, but here are a few things anyways:

Don't treat your employees like machines.
    ENFORCE BETTER SAFETY PRACTICES AMONG EMPLOYEES AND SHIFT SUPERVISORS! Does this really need to be stated?
    Hire Temps to full-time positions in a more timely, consistent basis.

"Started with a 'bang' but, burning people out."

Former Employee - Engineering in Mayodan, NC
    Former Employee - Engineering in Mayodan, NC

I worked at Sturm, Ruger & Co full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flat organization that pays well including profit sharing and annual bonus.

Cons

Lots of hours, lots of hats. Worked 60+ hour weeks / 11-12 hour days on a regular basis. Days start at 5-6am. No balance with home life. Runs rather short handed on engineers.

Advice to Management

Hire more help and allow more balance with family life.