SunOpta Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
David J. Colo

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Lots of opportunity to grow if you work hard (in 4 reviews)

• This is the perfect roll for a smart, thoughtful individual who wants the opportunity to grow in their career (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • This model of management is apparently a result of the "Dutch" culture (where Tradin was acquired) (in 3 reviews)

1. "Operators"

I worked at SunOpta full-time

Pros

Fair benefits, always can stay busy

Cons

Always short staffed, long day

Advice to Management

Hire more help I stead of trying to patch shifts together

"Opportunity to grow"

I have been working at SunOpta full-time

Pros

Lots of opportunity to grow if you work hard

Cons

Too many initiatives going on at the same time

Advice to Management

Work harder to build the company culture

"Machine operator and aseptic processing"

Current Employee - Vtis in Modesto, CA
    Current Employee - Vtis in Modesto, CA

I have been working at SunOpta full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The job is a good job

Cons

The pay not good and the equipment always break down

Advice to Management

Work on equipment in advance

4. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Coordinator in Edina, MN
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Coordinator in Edina, MN

I have been working at SunOpta full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a growing company so there's never a dull moment! You will have the opportunity to learn and grow with the company and have your voice truly be heard when implementing new policies and procedures.

Cons

Communication - There's been some major changes this past year, which is fine, but I feel SunOpta could do a better job at communicating those changes to all employees.

Advice to Management

Continue to encourage and grow your employees. Most people don't want to stay stagnate, they want to grow, learn more, and take on additional responsibilities Trust them and allow them to show what they're able to accomplish.

"Customer Service Representative"

I have been working at SunOpta full-time

Pros

I was able to have flexible hours when needed. They just required the 40 hr min, which is no problem at all. I had the opportunity to work with several different people and gain amazing relationships.

Cons

Most of the people who work there are newer, so you have to train everyone around you. Most are extremely appreciative of this attention though which is nice.

Leadership will not listen when you are unable to provide the service that is expected because you are being over worked.

Advice to Management

Listen and act on your employees comments. Most of the things that are said are directly linking to the customers and impact them the greatest.

6. "corporate employee"

I have been working at SunOpta full-time

Pros

Fun company, lots of positive attitudes

Cons

benefits and vacation are rather bad.

7. "master roaster"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Crookston, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Crookston, MN

I worked at SunOpta full-time (More than a year)

Pros

pay was good as well as the opportunity to improve a person's position in the company.

Cons

got sent to wahpeton, nd to work occasionally

Advice to Management

I like to know what my job responsiblillites are and also proper training.

"It's a job not a career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carson City, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carson City, NV

I have been working at SunOpta full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Once working directly for the company they offer PTO, paid holidays health medical, dental, vision all the normal stuff.

I suppose the rate is about average for what an employer would pay in a small little town like Carson City!

Cons

Young inexperienced leadership. Management breeds and fosters a snake-like environment amongst its management always looking over your shoulder.

Unrealistic expectations of your hourly employees overworked for the most part underpaid.

The schedule has already changed 6 times in less than 30 days! Eekk

Advice to Management

Advice would be more or less to corporate. really consider whom you have running your operations at these various plants throughout the country!!!

They're nice with a good head on their shoulders at this particular location they just should have been run through some management classes prior to being offered the position.

9. "Abundant Opportunities for Growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scotts Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scotts Valley, CA

I have been working at SunOpta full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The environment is fast paced so there is a never a dull moment. Situations require creative thinking and a proactive thought process. This is the perfect roll for a smart, thoughtful individual who wants the opportunity to grow in their career. I was uncertain what I wanted to do when I first started with the company, however, management helped me determine where I wanted to focus. While my focus has not been where I thought it would be, it is very exciting and challenging. Without the support of my boss I likely would not have taken this risk let alone succeeded in it.

I am always impressed by the knowledge and expertise of my colleagues. There is a lot to learn in the field and if you are curious and love to learn, working on the trade floor of Tradin provides a great opportunity to be a sponge to soak up this knowledge.

I really enjoy getting to problem solve and learn new ways to approach situations in order to improve both personally and professionally. In my experience, there aren’t many jobs that give the flexibility within a position like this.

Additionally, there are travel and tradeshow opportunities.

Cons

The job is challenging and not fit for someone who is looking to coast along or just sit back and collect a pay check. Tradin pushes you to do your best in a dynamic team situation, as well as to try your hand at many different responsibilities. This is definitely a job that requires self-starters.. Some people might see this as a negative if they are looking for a job that doesn’t require an entrepreneurial spirit and a lot of self-prioritized workflow.

Advice to Management

Communication can always be improved upon. Also more bonding/company events for the specific teams as well as company wide would be appreciated!

"Not a great place to work."

Current Employee - Packer in Carson City, NV
    Current Employee - Packer in Carson City, NV

I have been working at SunOpta full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is pretty good. They try and treat you good. They will buy you lunch and treats from time to time. They really try and compensate you for the time you spend working.

Cons

It seems they only hire Hispanics. This makes it really hard to communicate at work. The culture is horrible at this place. The HR lady has no idea what is going on. I work the night shift and we have no end time. Somtimes we get off on time and other times we get off really late. The first shift leaves extra work for us. The machinery sucks. It breaks down all the time.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. We work the floor, so we know what happens. HR is completely out if control.